Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
GrottParty

how did you start playing?

So many people are learning songs like "RowRowRow Your Boat" and "KumBaYA" at the start,
struggling with traditional chords and tough chord changes.

How did you start playing guitar? Was it traditional chords/scales? Simple songs/riffs?
I started playing so young (5yrs old) i can't remember struggling with open chords (C D A G F etc). But it seems many are.

I've just finished writing an Ebook looking at a different approach to learning guitar, involving repeating shapes and patterns
instead of traditional chords, scales.

I'd love to know what fellow guitarist's think of this non-traditional method for a beginner, the general idea was to make it much
easier and sound better. I uploaded 2 videos as a guide for the ebook.

Youtube Videos

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I would hesitate to recommend any method that doesn't start from music. Music is crucial to why we learn in the first place and is often one of the main things that keeps people at it through those really hard parts where it seems like you're not getting anywhere.

For what it's worth, I can't remember how I started either. Pretty sure it was with very simple stuff since I started out as a bass player with no tuition at all and no idea what I was doing. I ended up getting some lessons from a friend who was a teacher and we jumped pretty much straight in to songs but that was after I'd been playing for nearly a year anyway... I've come a long way since then

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 03-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
guitarist5477

Basically I always wanted to learn, and playing guitar hero for three years wasn't enough. On xmas when I was 16 (im 21 now) I got a aria strat-looking guitar. I ****ed around learning chords and popular riffs online. Then I took guitar lessons for the next 2years. During that time I also joined a band and picked up bass as well. In addition to that I took a music and improv class for all 4 years of high school, which helped me learn to jam and solo. I moved to SC for college and starting recording originals. The following year I played for a Christian band at campus because it was easy to handle with my schoolwork and job. I transferred and started doing youtube covers. About 4 months ago I joined a band on bass.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
guitarist5477 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would hesitate to recommend any method that does start from music. Music is crucial to why we learn in the first place and is often one of the main things that keeps people at it through those really hard parts where it seems like you're not getting anywhere.

For what it's worth, I can't remember how I started either. Pretty sure it was with very simple stuff since I started out as a bass player with no tuition at all and no idea what I was doing. I ended up getting some lessons from a friend who was a teacher and we jumped pretty much straight in to songs but that was after I'd been playing for nearly a year anyway... I've come a long way since then

Was that a typo?

I started about 5/6 years ago just learning songs i like with sites like this and video lessons on youtube. Gradually started taking it more seriously and now i practice everyday. I can't remember struggling with basic stuff. Also, the first band that really got me into guitar was Green Day. Not very technical playing but it got my attention as a 13 year old.

Last edited by derek8520 : 03-21-2013 at 12:25 PM.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
guitarist5477

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrottParty

I'd love to know what fellow guitarist's think of this non-traditional method for a beginner, the general idea was to make it much
easier and sound better. I uploaded 2 videos as a guide for the ebook.

Youtube Videos

I would say thats not a bad idea. My guitar teacher did it the generic way of teaching. But I started seeing patterns and repeating shapes that helped me, along with with the other lessons.

Another way you can teach it is to tell students to look at the neck as a grid filled with numbers.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
guitarist5477 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
AndyGray
UG Addict

I picked up a 3/4 size nylon acoustic from Argos & learned IRON MAN! NERRR ENERRR NER NER ERNNNN NER NER NER NER ERN NER NER NER ENRRRRR

Then I got given a pirated copy of this interactive CD-ROM which taught me such classics as:

Bush - Swallowed, NERRR NERRR NERR NER NERRRR
Greenday - That acoustic song, dung da ner ner ner ner, dun da ner ner ner ner
Feeder - Just a day, Do doo do dooo, do do do ooo, do do do dooo, doo dod od odooo

(apologies for any typo's in the ners)

Then all shit happened.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Was that a typo?

Yeah, it was, that's what I get for saying things when I've had that little sleep

I'll correct that about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
ThisIsBS

Like some guy above me I played guitar for like 3 years lol. My brother got an electric guitar and lessons (he was 7). He eventually quit but I was always interested in learning. My dad sold the guitar (cause my brother didn't want it), so I took it upon myself to buy an acoustic. Best decision ever! :P

I just learned (open) chords to my favorites songs, and I practiced some finger strength excercises cause my hands are tiny! Good luck on your trip, I am still enjoying mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so **** that guy
ThisIsBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
MaaZeus

As a longtime metalhead guitar gods have always been part of my life. But it wasnt until I was about 17-19 (I dont remember) I first grabbed a guitar. A cheap POS starter pack guitar with equally POS amp. It was either fender or squier.

The learning material was not great, some bad books that only covered theory and expected the reader to figure out how to play from there. And I wasnt citizen of the internetz yet (despite being a nerd all I had was a dialup back then) and guitar teachers were (and are!) expensive as hell, I got demotivated and gave my kit to my cousins son. (who ended up becoming a drummer instead)

The desire to play never stopped however. About ten years later, last summer, the desire lit in flames again after encountering some good learning material (thanks Justin Sandercoe) that actually covered basics step by step. It has been nonstop playing ever since. Pretty much daily atleast 1 hour, 3-4 hours on weekends.

Though I admit, I have been neglecting all theory studies ever since I learned how to read tabs. Obsessed with practising songs, theory and scales be damned. But in my defence I have picked a habbit of trying to play the riffs in different styles, playing the same notes on different strings and seeing which one sounds and feels better compared to what tabs say. For science! Its fun actually.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Sorry, but this just looks like a very roundabout way of saying "hey i made an e-book and some youtube videos, look at them please"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: