Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Ortix

Interfaces to use with guitar rig

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a m-audio fast track 2 to record my guitar. I have a gibson lp studio and I decided to record through the line in since my amp is at my parents house. I have been recording this way for a while, but the more I do it, the more the sound starts to annoy me. It's very muddy and chords just sound mushy. I've heard that the preamps on the fast track are real crappy. Could that be the problem? Is it wise to invest in a better usb interface or just give up on recording this way?

Here's an example song which i've recently recorded:
https://soundcloud.com/ortix/bridge-to-home-demo-1

The guitars just don't sound right. I have the gain all the way down on the fast track, but still.. it's so crappy
Ortix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
mikevmpr3
Hardcore

Get a used tascam us1641, it is pretty sick for tracking using guitar rig. it has a switch that changes from line in to instrument DI on channels 9 and ten and has phantom power for microphone xlr . , it's a rackmount so i dont know if thats an issue or not, but it gets the job done.

EDIT. i got mine from guitar center used and i will probably never sell it until i decide to go bigger. as for now it suffices for bedroom recording
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------

Last edited by mikevmpr3 : 10-14-2013 at 05:07 AM.
mikevmpr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Ortix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevmpr3
Get a used tascam us1641, it is pretty sick for tracking using guitar rig. it has a switch that changes from line in to instrument DI on channels 9 and ten and has phantom power for microphone xlr . , it's a rackmount so i dont know if thats an issue or not, but it gets the job done.

EDIT. i got mine from guitar center used and i will probably never sell it until i decide to go bigger. as for now it suffices for bedroom recording

i tried looking for it but it's really hard to find here (netherlands). Plus it's a bit overkill (input wise). Is a roland quadcapture comparable to that do you think?
Ortix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Go read the interfaces sticky in the recordings forum. Loads of recommendations there - although Focusrite are generally regarded as the best option and usually become the conclusion to these threads.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: