Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #121
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ yes, especially sweep picking! And doing them slowly is fine, why wouldnt they work at slow speeds? Just do the correct motion and dont fall into seperate pick motions.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #122
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Yes, because what you're focusing on is muscle control. The ability to precisely coordinate your actions to perform them more accurately, and the ability to coordinate your actions between two hands.

The relationship between how long it takes the pick to move from string to string should remain constant regardless of tempo (at least in theory... in reality it's the relationship between strikes, and the motion does feel _slightly_ different).

In practice this means that practicing it slower teaches your hands to coordinate that timing together, and to learn the feel based on what each other hand is doing--you know when your right hand prepares the strike that your left hand changes fingers in the sweep.

It also gives you time to focus on the precision of the action that you're developing in coordination.

Doing it at a faster tempo is... just doing it faster.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 07-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #123
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Yeh, agreed on that. And seriously, if you start to feel progress, dont just thump up the metronome and try and shred it out immediatly, just let them stay as accurate and clean as possible.

Trust me, i know the temptation, and have given in many times. But its seriously better just to keep em slow.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #124
Shreddy
Freak Show Excess

Location: Member #7 of the Fusion Shred club. Pm jasonbecker to join, and you'll get free cookies.
I have an idea about building speed and accuracy, or an idea to practice with kind of. Okay basically you alertnate every day between increasing speed and practicing at that speed. For example, today I bring my speed up to 90bpm, and then tommarrow I practice only at 90bpm and get better at it, and then the next day I increase 2bpm and then the day after I practice only at 92bpm. Is this a good idea?
Pit Ninja #11
*The Fellowship of Eric Johnson* PM me to join.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #125
dsmithtampa
UG Newbie

Thumbs up

It is great hearing guys and gals talk about the benefits of speed and accuracy while playing. I definitely think GPB has made some good points, as did a few other people. Of course, the 21 day is subjective, someone with exceptional talent may master this sooner and if forced to continue for 21 days, they could become lacadaiscal. This is great information for young guitarists, keep those posts coming.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #126
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Shreddy
I have an idea about building speed and accuracy, or an idea to practice with kind of. Okay basically you alertnate every day between increasing speed and practicing at that speed. For example, today I bring my speed up to 90bpm, and then tommarrow I practice only at 90bpm and get better at it, and then the next day I increase 2bpm and then the day after I practice only at 92bpm. Is this a good idea?

Yeah, that works... my metronome's been set under 60 for the last two weeks.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 07-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #127
renato
are you feelin' lucky?

No, i think that sounds like a frankly bad idea. i prefer to look at the metronome as not providing the timing but the 'beat', so increasing upwards inch by inch is not the point. The aim is not only to play fast but to keep the 'swing'

:stickpoke
Old 07-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #128
/\/\()()
Axl Rose - Oral Sex

this thread is awesome....GPB has been the biggest help/...thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #129
PurpleMonkeyDW
Close your gee!

OK I'm gonna try this 21 day thing. I'm currently in the process of RE-learning the minor pentatonic scale (I did it so half assed the first time it's completely of no use to me) to co-inside with learning off the entire fretboard. I haven't worked out how long I can spend on it each day yet but it'll be an hour or more. I'll try to do as Cas and GPB said; playing 20bpm slower than I play normally (so if my speed increases every session I do this then my '20bpm slower speed' should be incresing as I go along. Correct me anyone if I have this wrong before I start) with intervals of speed bursts in between.

This thread has generated a lot of interest. Perhaps this should be stickied; and seeing as thare are a lot of other people willing to try this out it would be great if we could have a thread for peoples results or updates on progress (Kind of like the MOD challenge).
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...

Last edited by PurpleMonkeyDW : 07-16-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #130
Shreddy
Freak Show Excess

Location: Member #7 of the Fusion Shred club. Pm jasonbecker to join, and you'll get free cookies.
^Haha, just like the MOD challange...
For me, I only do 10bpm less than I can, but it seems to work fine if I only increase my speed every other day or every other other day.
Pit Ninja #11
*The Fellowship of Eric Johnson* PM me to join.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #131
XYZero
UG OG

Would this work with a scale in all the keys or would I have to focus on one key at a time?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:52 AM   #132
casualty01
Here all along

^^ yes, it'll work anywhere, any key.

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #133
Darklights
Wiccan

Hmmm, I pulled a search for one gem of information I was seeking... and got two for the price of one. After reading these entire posts, I have to say that it is genuinely great to find a thread minus the usual amount of childish thrashing. Very informative and helpfull....Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Rate This Thread: