Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #601
Lost_Rose
UGs custom LP player

Everyone saying that Iommi is a weak soloist has to remember he is missing the tips of his fingers on his right fretting hand!! Even with this misfortune he still owns most!!

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Lost_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #602
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Location: "Over the hills, where the spirits fly" - Praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy - PM me to join Zeppelinism.
That should be taken into consideration, but at the same time keep in mind the great guitarist Django Reinhardt who played lead with only two functional fingers, using the other ones only for chords.

It's hard to trully compare the two, considering they played different music, but I'm trying to point out the fact that Iommi had just as many fingers as Django and another two to play lead with.

When I think of Iommi as a weak soloist it's more of the idea that his solos aren't very melodic or awe-inspiring, unlike those presented by other guitarists that played in a similar style to Iommi, such as Page or Blackmore.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/zeppelinism/

...Otherwise, rot in Hell.
TheHeartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #603
Lost_Rose
UGs custom LP player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeartbreaker

When I think of Iommi as a weak soloist it's more of the idea that his solos aren't very melodic or awe-inspiring, unlike those presented by other guitarists that played in a similar style to Iommi, such as Page or Blackmore.

True but that wasnt what Sabbath was about. They were darker and heavier.

In the words of Ozzy "We wanted our music to scare people"

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Lost_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #604
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Location: "Over the hills, where the spirits fly" - Praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy - PM me to join Zeppelinism.

At the same time, though, I feel that a well-done solo placed over a dark, heavy rhythm can work wonders.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/zeppelinism/

...Otherwise, rot in Hell.
TheHeartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #605
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

I've been needing a fix lately, so I threw in my Masters of Reality cassette this morning to get me primed for work tonight

It's been a while since I had a good listen to Sabbath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #606
hamett91
Ungulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Rose
True but that wasnt what Sabbath was about. They were darker and heavier.

In the words of Ozzy "We wanted our music to scare people"

I think Iommi's solos fit perfectly with the songs. Even though there not very melodic, they are still some of my favorite solos ever.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 AM   #607
mr moustache
Band

i just listened to 4 sabbath albums all in a row. in this order:

paranoid
sabbath bloody sabbath
vol. 4
master of reality

yeah...i thought you should know.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
mr moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #608
IronMaiden5

Sabbath is awesome. I went to the Heaven and Hell concert and they were great. Dio was really good. My favorite albums are Black Sabbath, Vol.4, Paranoid, and Heaven and Hell. I like Dio better as a singer, but the material with Ozzy is better. Is there not a Sabbath thread in the Metal forum?
IronMaiden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #609
TwistedLogic
YaddaYaddaBlahBlahBlah

Hilarious quote from Ozzy. "We wanted our music to scare people." They guys in the band said that there sound was a direct reaction to all the love and peace hippy stuff that was going on. Makes sense that a few guys from a town like Birhmingham (sp) would like to stick it musically to kids in California who were tripping on acid as Timothy Leary disciples.

In a sense the musical style of Sabbath suited the era of the late 1960's better than the love and peace hippy stuff as that time, as may socieites were entering a major state of change and unrest regarding civil rights, the military and vietnam, race relations, womens rights, etc...Kinda strange when you think about it if my point is true.
TwistedLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #610
TheStraightener
Growing Guitarist

The thing I love about Black Sabbath is how their simple riffs are just amazing. Ironman, Black Sabbath, Paranoid. All of their riffs are simple, but are the greatest riffs of all time (meaning that Tony Iommi is a musical genius). This is is also good for a beginner guitarist like me, cause they are great songs to learn, and I absolutely love those songs, making me want to play them even more, keeping me on the guitar that much longer.

Also, my username comes from the name of the outro to the "Wheels of Confusion" from the Vol. 4 album. Actually, a lot of Iommi's outros are awesome (such as Luke's Wall in War Pigs/Walpurgis).
Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #611
Face The Slayer
UG's Skinny Sweaty Man

**** the rif's in Black Sabbath (song or CD, whichever) are amazing.

I listened to Black Sabbath, Wasp/Behind The Wall Of Slep/Bassically/N.I.B. and Wicked WOrld and I had to learn them all.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #612
Heaven and hell

Pot Genres are gay

Black sabbath was originally a more blues/rock band (I think they were called earth)
And at there gigs peopel would talk over them so the only way 2 get attention was 2 turn the amps way up , they used old school tube amps so turning up the volume turned up the Gain, the power chords and detuned guitars came naturally.

At the time "Classic rock" did not exist all they had was like The beatles so even Led zepplin was considered metal the only why it lost its place was because bands that were inspired by Sabath and Zeplin were much heavier and faster thus bands like zepplin became rock and with the music sceen in the ninety's the stuff in the seventies turned 2 classic rock.

Now that ive got it all cleared up could we stop debating on wtf genre everything is.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #613
Argonaut
UG's Official Dude

The above statement is so stupid, so ignorant and so poorly spelt, that it nearly gave me a brain tumour.

Also, if you guys wanna second Tony Iommi's nomination for the UG Hall of Fame election, jump in before its too late:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...77&page=5&pp=20

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #614
RobGLA

I think of Sabbath with Ozzy and Sabbath with Dio as two different bands, the way I think of VH as DLR era and Sammy era. Classic VH to me is with Dave and classic Sabbath will always be Ozzy. i loved both Sabbath with Ozzy and Ozzy's solo music growing up. That said Dio was an awesome singer and I like the Sabbath albums he recorded too.

And although it seems a bit controversial my favourite Ozzy guitarist is Jake. I actually preferred the way he played Randy's solos, and found them more emotional, although yes Randy was brilliant and obviously wrote them. But Jake's abilities surpassed Ozzy when he made 3 excellent albums with Badlands.
RobGLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #615
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven and hell
the power chords and detuned guitars came naturally.

Clearly you've never heard about what happened to Iommi's fingers, or you wouldn't have said such a horribly inaccurate statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #616
ChemicalButter

Its a shame Sabbath didnt do more with Ian Gillian. The Born Again album is incredible. I've found the demos from that album, and the production quality is even better
"TRASHED!!"
ChemicalButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #617
ron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalButter
Its a shame Sabbath didnt do more with Ian Gillian. The Born Again album is incredible. I've found the demos from that album, and the production quality is even better
"TRASHED!!"

And the album cover is awesome to boot.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #618
Art Vandalay

I bought the CD of Paranoid when I was 10 because I knew the song "Iron Man" was awesome. Until I discovered Zeppelin in my late teens they were the greatest thing that had ever happened to my ears and the single biggest influence on my musical tastes. I own all of their albums now but I always go back to Paranoid when I want enjoy Black Sabbath at their finest.
Art Vandalay is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: