Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
bearsfan092
JIGGGGLYYY

Beginner classical guitar?

So I've played electric guitar for about three years, and acoustic for a year and a half. However, I've had an itch to play classical because I want to introduce some serious discipline into my guitar life. Plus the music is just fantastic.

So I've been talking with the various classical guitar teachers around here, and I've settled on one that I'm starting with in May. Thing is, I need a classical guitar. Ordinarily, I'd go out shopping by playing a few guitars in a store. Can't really do that seeing as I don't really have any classical technique.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solid classical guitar? Let's put a limit at 300 USD for now. Preferably new, but I'd look into used if that's the case.

EDIT: Just as a sidenote, does a steel string acoustic cause any serious complications for learning over a classical?

Last edited by bearsfan092 : 03-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
bearsfan092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan092
EDIT: Just as a sidenote, does a steel string acoustic cause any serious complications for learning over a classical?
Don't know which guitar you should buy, but I'll field this question. Classical necks are wider to accommodate finger style. Traditional classical guitars join the neck to the body at the 12th fret, whereas a more modern take on theses instruments joins the body and neck at 14,. So, be on the lookout for that if you prefer the longer neck of the average flat top.

It's probably easier to go from steel string to nylon from a finger strength and callous standpoint, rather than the other way around.

But, with nylon strings, the action needs to be a fair amount higher, than either a steel string or an electric, and you may find that somewhat distracting, being already used to those other types of guitars.

If you are strumming away on a steel string, and only managing to get 5 out of 6 strings fully fretted on any give barre chord, it's usually not that big of a deal. With classical guitar, you need to be a bit more deliberate and accurate with your technique, because the string you're missing might just be the one that you need to play next by itself.....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
justlivin
Got Lurk?

I got the cheap Lucero from GC for like $199. Its the one with a solid top. It has served me quite well. Just keep in mind it is a beginner instrument to get your feet wet until you decide if you like it or not. Whatever you get play every single fret on every string.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
justlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlivin
Whatever you get play every single fret on every string.

^ This is really important, I can't stress how important it is that you do this. You should be looking for any problems with the action and also for fret buzz.

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 03-26-2013 at 03:03 AM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
XianXiuHong
UG's Classical Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan092
So I've played electric guitar for about three years, and acoustic for a year and a half. However, I've had an itch to play classical because I want to introduce some serious discipline into my guitar life. Plus the music is just fantastic.

So I've been talking with the various classical guitar teachers around here, and I've settled on one that I'm starting with in May. Thing is, I need a classical guitar. Ordinarily, I'd go out shopping by playing a few guitars in a store. Can't really do that seeing as I don't really have any classical technique.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solid classical guitar? Let's put a limit at 300 USD for now. Preferably new, but I'd look into used if that's the case.

Yamaha C-40 is brilliant for beginners. They're very consistently made guitars and for the quality you get for what you pay, there really isn't any better. There isn't really much point investing in anything slightly more expensive (like up to 1K) since you're just learning and achieving the basics of right hand tone production will take quite a while anyway.

Playing a steel-string is pretty detrimental if you're looking to get into classical technique. Your nails will be awful all of the time because of the steel strings and the subtleties in tone between an acoustic and classical guitar are way too different to actually learn how to produce a good sound on the classical guitar properly. The body size of an acoustic guitar is also usually much larger than that of a classical guitar. The string spacing and tension is also different. I wouldn't recommend it

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/XianXiuHong

It's worth it
XianXiuHong is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: