Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

(A year in) Ikebukuro: instrumental/experimental track (C4C!)

This is a new experimental/alternative instrumental track I made recently. It's mostly guitar but with an electronic approach, I guess. It's probably the best thing I've made yet.

https://soundcloud.com/twllba/a-year-in-ikebukuro

And of course, I'll be glad to C4C! Follow me on Soundcloud if you like.

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!

Last edited by Soldier Poet : 04-21-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Soldier Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
OldHairyOne
UG's Hairy Welsh Guy

Dude, this is amazing. Properly good ambient/post-rock/awesomemusic. What gear do you use to play/record?

All I would say is maybe change up the progression to include aome sort of build-up/release type thing. But the atmosphere is fantastic. And those little vocal snippets are really cool.

C4C my band's latest? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...98#post31344098
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
aaron aardvark

Soldier Poet,
Thank you for the review(s)! Now your tune: this sounds very good! This would make good background music for TV, film, advertising, or video. Sounds rather professional to me. I probably would have faded out the repetitive guitar phrase earlier though (it runs for over a minute at the end) and then fade it back in at the end.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
chrisatgrace
I've got two legs

Really cool ambient vibe to this. Could definitely see this being good tv background. It's like..awkward teen first kiss music if that makes sense. In a good way! Would love to sing over something like this.
Thanks for the crit!

then you'll like my band!

http://www.indecisivefew.com

...i still like big letters...
chrisatgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Shaco
UG Newbie

Wow.

Very endearing!

The sound and tone you get with the guitar is really beautiful.

I seriously love it, man.

It's really uplifting and relaxing at the same time.

I definitely look forward to more songs that you come out with.

Shaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHairyOne
Dude, this is amazing. Properly good ambient/post-rock/awesomemusic. What gear do you use to play/record?

Thanks! I use a Shure SM57 into a Focusrite Sapphire for recording. Pretty much everything you hear is just a mic'ed guitar. A lot of the sounds are just cut up, reversed or slowed down guitar recordings. Beats were mostly made using a Korg ER-1.

Aaron aarvark, Shaco and crisatgrace, thank you for your comments.

Experimental/indie/postrock/triphop music, if you comment on my stuff, I comment on yours!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

This is a very nice, relaxing track throughout. Has some Explosions in the Sky type vibes at times. One problem I have with this track is that you never really climaxed. Feel like I'm getting blue balls here :P Things just keep building up and up but I never get that satisfaction of a really loud, in your face climax section. If you got a climaxing part a little over halfway through the song I think it'd be near perfect. Its still a pretty song though.

Critic back please? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1597405
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Soldier Poet
Registered and Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
This is a very nice, relaxing track throughout. Has some Explosions in the Sky type vibes at times. One problem I have with this track is that you never really climaxed. Feel like I'm getting blue balls here :P Things just keep building up and up but I never get that satisfaction of a really loud, in your face climax section. If you got a climaxing part a little over halfway through the song I think it'd be near perfect. Its still a pretty song though.

Critic back please? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1597405

About the climaxing: I find big fuzzy climaxes being a bit of a post-rock cliché, so I try not to use them automatically. Not to say that climaxes shouldn't be used, so I guess you have a point. I'm planning to make a couple more songs (perhaps an album?) with this kind of sound, so maybe I'll have some climaxes in those.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
skatooter

Im glad you didn't climax as I think you are correct about the Cliché aspect, you just kept us hanging on and waiting for it to happen and it isn't disappointing at all that it didn't as the song is so well done!
I really enjoy songs that are different all the way through, really tire of guessing the next part of a song, can be a big put off for me.
Honestly this is not the type of music I would choose to listen to but it was so relaxing with a great ambiance that I could just let it play all the way through without having to pay much attention.
Great job man!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
edbert
not ed, call me mark

I agree with skatooter, this particular song works well without a climax. Very cool song, I left a comment on your soundcloud
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
mikemellen94

I really like the vibe this gives off. I was thinking that it sounded a lot like something Explosions in the Sky would do, mainly because the lead guitar sounds EXACTLY like the effects they use haha but not a bad thing, I like the sound. Also the voices add a really cool phonetic presence to the track, I could be wrong but it sounded like the voice was reversed at the start of its entrance and then went back to normal, the sound of the reverse effect was very fitting to the track itself. I have an acoustic band called Valley Haze, check us out?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...10#post31289010
mikemellen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Huliheaden

Funny how you think that part of our song sounds like Radiohead. I'm a huge fan, and could have fun inspirations in every other song except that one part in that song. Anyway, here is what I think of your track:

I can definitely see what people mean by the Pink Floyd-esque sound. Though, I'd it's more post-Floyd. As if Four Tet and Sigur Ros had a baby. I think the vocals are cool, though I do think they could have been processed even more to sound less like talking. I'm not sure what I mean, so don't think too much of it . The beatbox-ish beat starting at around 2:10 or 2:20, I think, is awesome.

I've not got much to say apart from that. It's a really great song which I enjoyed listening to very much. Thanks for your feedback too!
Huliheaden is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: