Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
JessicaM

String questions for Washburn WD100DL Dreadnought Mahogany Acoustic Guitar

Hey, I'm fairly new to guitar and am looking to change the strings on my Washburn WD100DL Dreadnought, but have a few questions. Since I am new to this, I was wondering what gauge strings originally came on the guitar. All I know is that they are D'Addario. Also, what string gauge and brand would be recommended for this guitar?

Here's a link to the guitar: [forbidden link]

Thanks so much in advance and let me know if you need any more information!
JessicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Most all makers ship with "acoustic light gauge". These are .012 to .053, or thereabouts, depending on brand.

Ibanez ships with D'Addario EXP-16, which is an acoustic light, phosphor bronze ("PB"), coated string set.

You can't go too far off the reservation with acoustic lights. Manufacturers supply them for good bass, punch and volume, but they don't have so much tension they'll hurt the guitar.

Here's a link that explains acoustic guitar setup, that may be, or may become, of interest to you: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/...up_page_01.html

If you prefer a brighter sound than PB, you can try a bell bronze alloy, generally marketed as 80/20.

At the end of the day, you might need to do some experimenting to find what suits you.

Here'a a link to D'Addario PB EXP coated strings: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductF...ba-292322678dd0

Near the top left is a drop down menu you can use to access their other types of acoustic strings

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: