Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Will you go used? if so:

Egnater Renegade
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 JCM2000
Orange Rocker 30
Orange Thunder 30
not the dual terror.
Mesa Stiletto
Jet City JCA100/50h
maybe it was shit tubes but the last DC-5 I tried was fizzy as hell
probably shit tubes. they usually sound better
Mesa Rectoverb
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Will you go used? if so:

Egnater Renegade
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 JCM2000
Orange Rocker 30
Orange Thunder 30
not the dual terror.
Mesa Stiletto
Jet City JCA100/50h
maybe it was shit tubes but the last DC-5 I tried was fizzy as hell
probably shit tubes. they usually sound better
Mesa Rectoverb

how are those jet cities?

Check out my band spread our message https://www.facebook.com/BeBravefl
asb9pwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #23
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by asb9pwns
how are those jet cities?

1 technically owned four. JCA2112RC three duds (two DOA one when i plugged it in pop. i returned them all and got an orange ppc212ob instead. i have never had an amp die on me before, and own probably a ten or so are all tube, other than that i have two hybrid amps.

i owned the JCA50H for a week or two, sounded decent. kind of fussy with speakers, the stock JCA cabs aren't that great, so i would look elsewhere, but the head is decent.

i would look for a rectoverb (based on single rectifier)
if staying on mesa's older amps, the two channel two channel dual rec, and the coveted tremoverb. either of the oranges would be fine. i have gigged my dual terror several times (not my main amp but works fine mic'd.)

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

$1200 for one head/cab, or two? Where specifically are you located (like what county)? If you go used we can make that shit stretch. How soon do you need the gear? Getting amazing deals is about patience, and more importantly keeping a hawk eye on CL.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
$1200 for one head/cab, or two? Where specifically are you located (like what county)? If you go used we can make that shit stretch. How soon do you need the gear? Getting amazing deals is about patience, and more importantly keeping a hawk eye on CL.

We're in the US, I think i got all of our gear sorted i just purchased last night a used Peavy Valveking head for $180, a Fender metal head cab for $150, and i added my MXR noise gate, and bought a Ibanez Tube screamer, I use a crunch channel with high treble and put the reverb on 2 or so and use my tube screamer and it mimics our sound perfectly. couldn't be happier gonna find another valveking head for the other guitarist.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
Robbgnarly

Quote:
We're in the US, I think i got all of our gear sorted i just purchased last night a used Peavy Valveking head for $180, a Fender metal head cab for $150, and i added my MXR noise gate, and bought a Ibanez Tube screamer, I use a crunch channel with high treble and put the reverb on 2 or so and use my tube screamer and it mimics our sound perfectly. couldn't be happier gonna find another valveking head for the other guitarist.

I would get something diffrent for your other guitarist. maybe something more british flavored like a Peavey Windsor if you can deal with a one ch amp. Peavey has an older amp called the VTM that is really good (it is a hot rodded JCM800 circut)

You may want to check out the Bugera 1990 if you need 2 ch for guitar. The 1990's based on the Marshall JCM900. I haven't heard of one of them breaking down, it was always the 333/6260 series that had the problems.

The Jet City JCA50h/100h is also worth a good look.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I would get something diffrent for your other guitarist. maybe something more british flavored like a Peavey Windsor if you can deal with a one ch amp. Peavey has an older amp called the VTM that is really good (it is a hot rodded JCM800 circut)

You may want to check out the Bugera 1990 if you need 2 ch for guitar. The 1990's based on the Marshall JCM900. I haven't heard of one of them breaking down, it was always the 333/6260 series that had the problems.

The Jet City JCA50h/100h is also worth a good look.

What's wrong with running two Valvekings?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:

It's usually better to have at least slightly different tone for each guitarist to distinguish between them and add variety to the mix. If you both sound basically the same, it's gonna be hard to tell who is who when you're playing and it'll be hard to tell if you're both cutting through. You're gonna be fighting to fill basically the same exact spot inthe mix with each guitarist.

I mean, with some amps, you can switch up the EQ and other settings to distinguish, but that still doesn't always work, and with a Valveking, it perobably won't be very effective.

I mean, Mark Morton and Willie Adler used to both use Mark V's with the main difference being that Willie used less mids and more Gain. Now, though, Mark has switched to the Royal Atlantic, which I can attest sounds much better for them live.

In my band, I use an Egnater Vengeance and our other gutiarist uses a Mesa Rectoverb. Two very different sounds.

It just makes your life easier when it comes to the mix.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
Robbgnarly

Quote:

Blktiger0 pretty much hit it on the head.

I play in several bands and have been giging/touring for over 12yrs. when both guitarist have the same amp the sound gets boring. Currently I use a Marshall JCM DSL and our other guitarist uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier, each amp complements the other very good.

And like Blktiger0 also said you can just EQ them diffrently, but you will still sound very similar.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
ikey_

well they give you celections for like 70 bucks at avatar price which is about as good as it gets.

i would prefer WGS which are about that price, but if you figure a seperate purchase plus shipping it will add more money compared to getting the avatar / speakers in 1 package.

i think WGS are superior though.

yeah a DSL would suit. you pushing some decent gain with a modern voice. im not sure a windsor or a night train is voice for what you are looking for.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

But guys, it depends on what you are going for. Both guitarists in Thin Lizzy played Les Pauls through Marshall plexis. That worked for them because they did that whole dual harmonising guitar thing. Generally speaking it's better to use different rigs, but not always.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #32
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
But guys, it depends on what you are going for. Both guitarists in Thin Lizzy played Les Pauls through Marshall plexis. That worked for them because they did that whole dual harmonising guitar thing. Generally speaking it's better to use different rigs, but not always.

I can see where you guys are coming from. He's the lead guitarist and is using alot of effects pedals like delays, and such thus where as im only using a noise suppressor and a tube screamer to get the tone down for rythmn.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #33
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, if you want a more uniform tone as a band, then it won't matter much. Basically, you'll want to be more scooped than he is in the mid department and keep your tone more transparent.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, if you want a more uniform tone as a band, then it won't matter much. Basically, you'll want to be more scooped than he is in the mid department and keep your tone more transparent.

ok so as the rythmn guitarist if i were to just keep my tone more bassy lows sort of and let him be a more higher end treble ton it would work good then? if that makes any sense lol

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

No. You're bassist brings the bass frequencies. If you base your tone off of bass, nobody will ever heard you.

The best way to do it is to have your gain et higher and your mids set lower than his. You can vary the treble, but the most prominent frequencies for guitar are the mid frequencies.

Now, if you want, you could each get an EQ pedal (I recommend the MXR 10-Band) and dial in DIFFERENT mid frequencies. YOu can't do that with the standard 3-band on the Valveking, though.

For example, in my band, I use my 10 band to scoop out some space for our bassist and to emphasize lower-mids, as I have a darker amp. Then, our other guitarist has a brighter amp that is more based on upper-mids, plus he uses V30 speakers, which have a big upper-mid spike.

In addition, you using more gain is going to give you a little less clarity and blend you into the mix better, and him using less gain is going to give him more clarity and help him stand out a little.

So, he needs more mids, less gain, you need more gain, less mids.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #36
asb9pwns

Quote:
No. You're bassist brings the bass frequencies. If you base your tone off of bass, nobody will ever heard you.

The best way to do it is to have your gain et higher and your mids set lower than his. You can vary the treble, but the most prominent frequencies for guitar are the mid frequencies.

Now, if you want, you could each get an EQ pedal (I recommend the MXR 10-Band) and dial in DIFFERENT mid frequencies. YOu can't do that with the standard 3-band on the Valveking, though.

For example, in my band, I use my 10 band to scoop out some space for our bassist and to emphasize lower-mids, as I have a darker amp. Then, our other guitarist has a brighter amp that is more based on upper-mids, plus he uses V30 speakers, which have a big upper-mid spike.

In addition, you using more gain is going to give you a little less clarity and blend you into the mix better, and him using less gain is going to give him more clarity and help him stand out a little.

So, he needs more mids, less gain, you need more gain, less mids.

I see now, thank you for explaining that. I really appreciate that!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

No problem!

Glad that I could help
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #38
asb9pwns

Quote:
No problem!

Glad that I could help

That you did sir!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Look at the Jet City JCA series. Super cheap, and are perfect for your sound.

My band is very similar in style to yours, and I just ordered a JCA50H to go with my mesa 212 (v30s). $600 for the 50watt head, and like $300 for the 20watt, which is what I would have gotten, had they not all been sold out.

Solid amp. I played the 20H through a mesa 412 (V30's aswell) in the studio, and I fell totally in love. Check it out on youtube!!

Good Luck!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY

Last edited by sheldonpardy : 12-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
Look at the Jet City JCA series. Super cheap, and are perfect for your sound.

My band is very similar in style to yours, and I just ordered a JCA50H to go with my mesa 212 (v30s). $600 for the 50watt head, and like $300 for the 20watt, which is what I would have gotten, had they not all been sold out.

Solid amp. I played the 20H through a mesa 412 (V30's aswell) in the studio, and I fell totally in love. Check it out on youtube!!

Good Luck!

will do!

Rate This Thread: