Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
alonbas

hss vs sss stratocaster

i want to buy an american standard strat (maple fretboard) but i cant decide which hss or sss.. i have sg so the humbucker isnt so important to me .. but i really like pos. 2 it sound like a quacky tele and it will be fn to have humbucker with whemmy bar. but if ichoose this guitar i lose the pos. 2 in sss which is very funky and "straty".
do you have any offers or opinions?
and can i put a coil splitter on the diamondback? will it sound good and straty in pos. 2?
alonbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

You could split it, but it won't sound like an SSS guitar in the same position. Close? Maybe, but not exact. I use position 2 a lot more on my SSS Strat simply because it sounds great, not so much on the SSH guit.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Dude, sorry but your post is hard to understand.

But I think the position 2 on an HSS also sounds quacky. Maybe not as quacky as the position 2 on an SSS but pretty similar. If you feel that you need a humbucker, get the HSS. But if you think your SG has all humbucker tones that you need, buy an SSS. Have you tried both guitars? Decide which one you like better and buy it.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
alonbas

ok i'll explain in hss the 2 pos. sounds quacky and tele like which i like very much
in sss pos. 2 sounds straty and funky
i don't want to miss non of those sounds so i want to know if spilt coil will deliver it well (will sound funky in 2 pos. like sss )
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
supersac

i personally woukd get hss but that mostly cause i cant stand bridge singlt coils

But if your trouble is with pos 2 i think splitting the coil on the bucker would get youvthe tone youre looking for
But again you should try out both guitars to see whichyou like best

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Disturbed_EMG
UG's Howling Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
i personally would get hss but that mostly cause i cant stand bridge single coils

That

Ever wonder what happens when Ron Swanson meets 8 string guitar? I bet you're pretty curious now.
Disturbed_EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
jeffo46

To me ,a Strat is SSS. If I wanted humbuckers , then I would buy a Les Paul .
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah, if you want a humbucker guitar, buy a guitar that was designed for humbuckers, right?

Oh wait, the original les paul was designed with p90s (which are single coils), you dumbass.

Regarding the original question, it's really up to you. If you need the humbucker, go HSS. If you need authentic strat tones in all positions, go SSS.

It shouldn't be the end of the world, though, because they should both be routed HSH, I think. I.e. if you make the wrong choice you can retrofit the guitar with the other pickup layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
alonbas

what do you say about buying the hss and put a push pull split coil?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
thelax

if your SG covers all your humbucker needs, and you need genuine single coil tones, I would go with SSS.

In my opinion, the single coil sound of an HSS guitar isn't same as that of an SSS guitar.
I can't say about fender american standards, but a lot of HSS guitars use 500K pots to keep the humbucker from being too muddy.
This often causes the single coils to brighten up a bit more than they are meant to be.

HSS are good if you want a bit of everything from one guitar, but if you want single coil tones, I would go with SSS.
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
thelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
dspellman

*Headscratch*

Are we forgetting about stacked humbuckers for the bridge position? What's the issue with putting something like a DiMarzio Fast Track II (18K) in the bridge of an SSS guitar?

I've got an HSS guitar with humbuckers (a pair of Hot Rails in the SS slots) and I've got several HSH guitars as well.

Coil tapping on the humbuckers *can* be very good; it depends on the humbucker. Generally, I've found that the hotter humbuckers tap very well. One of my favorites is the Carvin M22SD, which is a 13K - 14K raucous rock pickup that becomes a very nice single coil when split. Working with something like this gives you a 6.5-7K single coil. If you're splitting 7.5 - 8K humbuckers, you usually get a rather wimpy single coil that doesn't match up very well with anything else.

I'm running mostly HSH guitars, however. Basic two knob (1V 1T) with a five-way control system. But I've got three mini-switches. Two of them select single-coil modes for humbuckers, and the third is a "bridge pickup add-in" that adds the bridge pickup to the forward two positions on the five way. This gives you a bunch of other configurations including the LP-type "both humbuckers selected middle position" sound (within limits).

In this one, the cream coils are the ones left active when everything is split. Good quack in the 2 and 4 positions. Note the three miniswitches. The one nearest the five-way is the bridge pickup add-in. BTW, I really dislike push-pulls, for the most part.

Last edited by dspellman : 07-14-2013 at 11:31 AM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonbas
what do you say about buying the hss and put a push pull split coil?

sure, it's worth doing if you go HSS, but it doesn't really sound the same as SSS for the bridge pickup alone, and the bridge and middle pickup together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
*Headscratch*

Are we forgetting about stacked humbuckers for the bridge position? What's the issue with putting something like a DiMarzio Fast Track II (18K) in the bridge of an SSS guitar?

I've got an HSS guitar with humbuckers (a pair of Hot Rails in the SS slots) and I've got several HSH guitars as well.

Coil tapping on the humbuckers *can* be very good; it depends on the humbucker. Generally, I've found that the hotter humbuckers tap very well. One of my favorites is the Carvin M22SD, which is a 13K - 14K raucous rock pickup that becomes a very nice single coil when split. Working with something like this gives you a 6.5-7K single coil. If you're splitting 7.5 - 8K humbuckers, you usually get a rather wimpy single coil that doesn't match up very well with anything else.

I've never really liked any single coil-sized humbuckers I've tried (though i haven't tried that many). If you ask me they're as much of a compromise compared to a "real" humbucker tone as a split humbucker is compared to a "real" single coil.

that's a good point regarding the pickup outputs.

Just for information (i.e. in case anyone else is reading this, I'm not trying to flag up that you're wrong or anything), the pickups you're referring to are side-by-side single coil-sized humbuckers, not stacks. Stacks have the two coils on top of each other e.g. the duncan classic stack or dimarzio virtual vintages. Also splitting a humbucker is what you're talking about (coil splits). Tapping keeps both coils active but takes a tap off at less than full windings for a lower output.

Quote:

Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

It's tough, but i say SSS. Put a hot rails type in the bridge and you're good to go.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ why would you do that? it's not like a hot rails looks vintage-accurate, and if you ask me it does a piss poor humbucker tone. you've basically got the worst of both worlds in that scenario. I suppose it does do a reasonable split tone, to be fair, but still not as good as a genuine single coil.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 07-14-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've never really liked any single coil-sized humbuckers I've tried (though i haven't tried that many). If you ask me they're as much of a compromise compared to a "real" humbucker tone as a split humbucker is compared to a "real" single coil.

A stacked humbucker is not the same as a side-by-side, true enough. You may not want to consider them a compromise, however, as much as a different option that you can select to fit a particular need. Same thing with the minihumbuckers (there are now four different kinds of minihumbucker construction from Gibson alone!). For example, the DiMarzio Fast Track II was designed as a bridge humbucker for SSS strats. But I use it as a neck pickup on an LP (and so does Neal Schon). It's more focused in that position and cleans up a lot of LP neck pickup mud and makes for a very interesting lead-type pickup, where most people really don't use the neck pickup in an LP all that much.

You might also consider getting the HSS and putting an SD P-Rail in the bridge position. This is a pickup with both a real rail coil single coil *and* a P90 coil combined to fit into a humbucker ring. There's a pickup ring that goes with it that has switching on it that will allow you to select either coil, put both together in serial mode (standard humbucker) or in parallel mode. There are three output levels of P-Rail, and you'll want to make your own decision regarding which will fit best. I'd set it up with the rail coil closest to the bridge (SD will build the pickup with the logo in the correct spot for that if you ask), personally.

dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah when i said "compromise" i meant assuming the player was after a genuine humbucker tone. you're right, it just depends on what you're after.

Just it gets annoying when someone says (in effect), "Don't use that, it's too much of a compromise, use this compromise instead!"

Quote:

Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
HomerSGR
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ why would you do that? it's not like a hot rails looks vintage-accurate, and if you ask me it does a piss poor humbucker tone. you've basically got the worst of both worlds in that scenario. I suppose it does do a reasonable split tone, to be fair, but still not as good as a genuine single coil.

Hot Rails have a tone of their own. There are other single-coil sized humbuckers than just these. They do not sound exactly like regular humbucker, but they are a very good alternative.

I bought an SSS American Standard, now it is HSH with Seymour Duncan JB Jr:s. One of my favourite guitars, very cool tone. If I would buy another - I would go the same way without a single doubt. Maybe leave it SSS or try another pickup, but certainly not HSS with Fender's own humbuckers.

Sometimes I feel that I prefer these JB Jr:s to regular humbuckers. While playing in a band I feel they cut through better.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...

Last edited by HomerSGR : 07-14-2013 at 06:45 PM.
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I dont mean SD Hot Rails, i just meant the type of pickup. They are somewhat like a humbucker, but if you get one with decently high output then you get a sound that is clearly borne of a single coil but has extra layers of fat thick sound. Idk i would never put an SD hot rails in a strat because im not much of a fan of those specific pickups, but other rail-type pickups can sound really good.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: