Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #2841
The Wildchild
Ket s rakastat

I spit in the face of your degenerate music

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #2842
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

How about Brazilians?
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #2843
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden
muh pure aryan race

lol juzt teachin' my kids survival skils for when the jews cause the apocalypse

#justvargthings

BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #2844
deadsmileyface
from the kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic Maiden

How about Brazilians?

fag is in their band name
Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #2845
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

It's also your middle name
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #2846
Crazed Shredder
Sheik Yerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS

Fix this. Make sure to listen to it at night in a pitch black room. Its magic is strongest at night.

Listening in such way was Varg's conscious intent.

The other acceptable way to listen to Hvis is to blast it in your car stereo on a long drive home, late at night. Life changing. Just be careful not to get into too deep a trance, which can happen, so take a sip of black coffee before Tomhet starts.

I read once that one of Varg's influences to the atmosphere of his early albums was driving back roads late at night while listening to his own favorite albums.
Crazed Shredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #2847
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Shredder
Listening in such way was Varg's conscious intent.

The other acceptable way to listen to Hvis is to blast it in your car stereo on a long drive home, late at night. Life changing. Just be careful not to get into too deep a trance, which can happen, so take a sip of black coffee before Tomhet starts.

I read once that one of Varg's influences to the atmosphere of his early albums was driving back roads late at night while listening to his own favorite albums.

Hahah I'm gunna have to try this
Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #2848
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV

Quote:
The other acceptable way to listen to Hvis is to blast it in your car stereo on a long drive home, late at night.

Incidentally, this worked wonderfully for me with Tangerine Dream's Phaedra while driving home after watching Blade Runner at a friend's house.
Hoodoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #2849
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Phaedra is a gorgeous album. The old-school ambient stuff is always awesome (I'm partial to the Fripp/Eno stuff in the 70s). There are lots of parallels, compositionally anyway, between ambient music and black metal.

Re: Tomhet, I can't wait for the part where it goes into the second 'riff', I always felt if Varg just reduced the repeats for the first sequence so that it was like 2-3 mins instead of 7, the song would be way better.

The Spirit shall look out through Matter's gaze
And Matter shall reveal the Spirit's face.
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #2850
Ozzy87_2

Quote:

Yes it was. After they had finished they're fighting sessions in the woods and they were all blood and sweat dripping pumping with adrenaline he drove home and listened to death metal and went home to write for Burzum.

I have met a similar experience while driving home after a hard basketball practice. It really is like a spell with the road ahead of you, the smooth sound of the motor and Beherit blasting from the sound system.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2851
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

A World Wrongfully Lost

I can safely say I have my first strong opinions on The Ways of Yore now. I have now had the chance, for days at a time, to put on some fat headphones and with the help of my Bed, Bath and Beyond blindfold I have gone the greatest lengths to give this album all the sonic appreciation my senses can muster. Even now I have its admittedly well done tunes coming from two monstrous studio monitors. As with any Burzum album, I wanted to like this. If you've been on these forums long enough, you have a minute sense of why. I'm not going to bother to explain it. Anyways....

Varg sounds the most consistently comfortable on The Ways of Yore than he has in a couple albums worth of time. Why yes Mr. Vikernes, I too am a fan of early Dead Can Dance. I say that because for my ears this album comes from the same direction as Hliskjlf and Daui Baldrs only with an older, less desperate and more relaxed Varg. This is where both my appreciation and minor gripes originate from in my listening experience.

As usual Mr. Vikernes has an ear for note placement and, more recently put on display, songwriting (Jeg Feller catchiness anyone? Something most pop-stars can only dream of, unless you are Space Aged Love Song.) But the big one is note placement when it comes to Burzum. Varg's work has a knack for knowing exactly where the listener is and where to take them. It's an elegant talent, so **** you if you want me to explain it in algorithm form.

The Lady in the Lake, The Coming of Etting, The Reckoning of Man, Hall of the Fallen, Autumn Leaves and Emptiness are the stand out tracks for me. These tracks are the most similar to the magic that was Daui Baldrs and Hliskjlf. These tracks share those albums properties of walking the listener through alien yet oh so achingly familiar shrubbery and mist. They are narrative in form and purpose and benefit from repeated listens as you grow accustomed to the magic. A path is formed.

But my greatest gripe with this albums lies in the fact that it has stand out tracks. While I enjoy the sincerity of The Ancient Religion that is found in the other tracks, I am only so entertained by them when compared to the others. They come off as less magical and moreso a tribute. And honestly I believe that was their intention judging by their sounds. I love them, but I am not enthralled by them.

Quote:
I remember...

Thank you Burzum. Seriously. When THAT synth hit me in The Reckoning of Man.... (If you are like minded, you know the one.) When THAT synth hit me I could smell Hliskjlf once again. I could see its intensely magical green; Beckoning. And I had to lie down as the synths returned, a sweeping wave of nostalgia, ache, and sorcery.

Quote:
I remember...
A world wrongfully lost

The Ways of Yore stands tall. A codex for recollection of both ancient sorcery and older Burzum magics of the desperately youthful Varg. Serving as a hail to many worlds ago, both historically and musically; A banner for Burzum's future... which lies in the past.
Im not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 06-23-2014 at 08:31 PM.
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #2852
Ozzy87_2

I need to pick this up the next time I set my foot on a CD store.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #2853
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk

Jus saw this on NWN! and figured some of you Burzum fans out there might enjoy, it's Varg playing some of his tracks with typical Burzum production qualities:

show
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.

Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #2854
RiffYourFaceOff
burned and died

Saw this over at the sevenstring forum. Never expected to see something like this, pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
I don't care what my dad says, you metalheads are alright.
RiffYourFaceOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #2855
Crazed Shredder
Sheik Yerbouti

This is pretty neat. It's almost impossible otherwise to figure out exactly how he plays these tracks, with the drone notes and production.
Crazed Shredder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #2856
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

Little Varky Vikkers does it again
MapOfYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #2857
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Key to the Gate being played on a shitty guitar by unpracticed hands still manages to sound exactly like the story it tells. A testament to the truly superb art that Burzum manifested. It gives me chills.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : Yesterday at 10:44 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #2858
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Skimmed my stupid post on Ways of Yore and saw

Quote:
nostalgia, ache, and sorcery.

Damn fine Burzum adjectives.
an unenlightened one
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #2859
kirkisking
I'm always drunk

That is some pretty cool stuff severed. I commend you.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #2860
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFjory
Does anyone else think it's only a matter of time before Varg starts appearing on his own YouTube channel, featuring weekly (softly-spoken) rants about Jews, Christians and all other stuff that pisses him off? He really seems to be embracing the Internet lately, so IMO it's the next logical step. Plus he could get some easy merch sales that way. Preach on with the online sermons, Varg. I'll be sure to subscribe and might even hit "Like", too!

In fact, I'd go as far as making multiple accounts to subscribe if he manages to drag Fenriz into his forest lair for a guest appearance on his 'show'. They could talk about Cornflakes (karrispy or crunchy?), the shameful state of music today, and the pinnacle would be Fenriz jamming to some Burzum tracks on a drumkit with Varg doing his modern whisper-growling thing in the background.

The comments section of the video would then rapidly fill up with stuff like "Hail Satan!!!! Two of black metal's legends in one video!!!", to which Varg would post a response the next week, expressing his utter disdain for us weak, insufferable capitalist pigs, yet encouraging us to buy some more Burzum.

Ohh, how the mind races...

Took a couple of years, and maybe Fenriz has yet to make an appearance, but how right I was otherwise. Loving the new 'instructional' vids too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: