User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #21441
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
It was a 2015 as well, so basically brand new.

Some lady was backing a BMW X5 into a parking spot and backed right into this beauty.

Don't they have fancy ass reversing cameras or at least reverse sensors? How the **** do women manage to still crash with all those driving aids is beyond me.
macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #21442
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni
Don't they have fancy ass reversing cameras or at least reverse sensors? How the **** do women manage to still crash with all those driving aids is beyond me.

I'm sure they do.

Not to mention this was someone that gets paid just to move cars around, so they should be even more attentive to what they're doing.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #21443
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
id drive one of the newer jeeps. 2 door pentastar 6-spd manual? oh hell yes.

I'll always love the wrangler, they're just... unkillable. but for my needs, they're just irrelevant I think. I really do want that truck bed lol, and I like the creature comforts of a pickup lol.

speaking of which, I went to see some yesterday while my mustang was getting serviced (16 000km already, where does the time go) and unquestionably, the nicest one was the new silverado/sierra. they only had 2014 F150s on the lot, so I couldn't see the newest one, but the Silverado high country/Sierra denali is unquestionably the nicest pickup on the market. its like an Escalade in there. something at that level is a little too expensive, but an LT or even LTZ doesn't seem out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroni

the better question is why is it always X5s. any time I see videos of people performing absolutely baffling parking lot crashes, its always an X5.

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides : 10-17-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Lt. Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #21444
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Hmm, so my family is planning on getting a new car. I'm thinking about what should the necessary requirements for getting one have to be, and which ones should be.

For instance, in terms of security, what matters the most? For instance, do airbags do that much of a difference, or can there be another thing, maybe even things not mentioned by car salesmen or "car specs", that influences much more? Like maybe weight, "form", size, specific things, etc.

In ecologic terms, without getting a full-electric car, what does make a difference? What type of gas for instance? Or maybe even noise levels (and if so, how do you measure those)?

In terms of eventual repairs, what are the things to look up for in terms of replacements, and things that should endure more or things that it's not the end of the world if they break? Like, what is the thing, that if it breaks it ****s up all your plans, or is annoying as **** (while driving with that broken thing, or maybe the constant repairs, or something else). And how would you gauge if a car you are going to buy has that thing weaker or stronger than other cars?

Basically, what is the stuff that car salesmen don't tell you that you need to know?

We are just me and my mother, and need intra-city travel (no "3 hour long drives everyday" kind of thing). We occasionally drive to the "suburbs" that has dirt roads and lots and lots of bumps (really....lots of them). The car would need to not fall apart by some bumps on the road (again, stuff like this goes with my "repair/strength" question from before, like what things should you look out for depending on what your situation could be? Or what thing matters in which situation?).

Take into account that, at least in my social circles, the cars over here are "modest". Our current car is a 1995 Renault 9 for instance, and it doesn't even have a radio. So no need for "fancy" stuff, just stuff that has the right things and solves the right problems.
Also we live in Uruguay so no fancy experimental stuff. We don't even have electric cars over here yet I believe.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #21445
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

^ ford fiesta, vw polo, or ford focus. just get one of those and you really don't need to worry about anything else.

basic, simple, reliable cars, inexpensive, easy to work on, parts aren't expensive, good on gas, safe, and accessible.

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides : 10-17-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Lt. Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #21446
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Thanks, I'll check them out.

My mom said she was looking into a Chery Fulwin or a Renault Clio so far (based on the listing of cars around the zone over here, and based on our budget).
How would these compare to those (ford fiesta, etc)?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #21447
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy

No Chery. No.
macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #21448
Johanna Jo

Subaru XV
Johanna Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #21449
Blayney
est'd 1989

The reasosn for mk3 mr2...

1. My mrs will be driving it
2. Economy
3. Insurance
4. Image
5. Handling

Encore Strat, Ibanez GRX70 Jewel Blue, Ibanez RGT42DRFM (Dimarzio Breed bridge/Air Norton neck)
Hudson HD1, Lorenzo 'Bluebird' 12 String, Lg Tramontane T66ACE
Vox AD50VT, Vox AC30 (1963)
Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Blayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #21450
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
Thanks, I'll check them out.

My mom said she was looking into a Chery Fulwin or a Renault Clio so far (based on the listing of cars around the zone over here, and based on our budget).
How would these compare to those (ford fiesta, etc)?

A Ford Fiesta is designed to meet strict US crash safety standards. A Ford Focus is also very safe and it's the most popular car model in the world so if you need a part they are easy to get. Yes the air bags make a huge difference.

I want one of these too. Finally! 2016 Focus RS. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...spy-photos-news What? no love for a 2016 350hp awd Focus RS?!?

Last edited by BobDetroit : 10-18-2014 at 01:42 PM.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #21451
Blayney
est'd 1989

No cos the new Focus is really ugly.

Encore Strat, Ibanez GRX70 Jewel Blue, Ibanez RGT42DRFM (Dimarzio Breed bridge/Air Norton neck)
Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Old 10-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #21452
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
A Ford Fiesta is designed to meet strict US crash safety standards. A Ford Focus is also very safe and it's the most popular car model in the world so if you need a part they are easy to get. Yes the air bags make a huge difference.

I want one of these too. Finally! 2016 Focus RS. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...spy-photos-news What? no love for a 2016 350hp awd Focus RS?!?

Hmm, I checked them out, and they are kind of expensive over here (at least out of our budget).
Ford Fiestas are US$ 25.000, Ford Focus US$ 30.000, and haven't found 0km prices for the Polo.
We were looking more for stuff in the US$ 15.000 or so price range (the Cherry I mentioned is US$ 16.000 for instance)

Or is it really worth it to wait a little bit and save up for one of those?

EDIT: I guess there's also the "new vs used" thing. Is an older, used Ford Fiesta/Focus, better than a new Cherry Fullwin (or the other ones I mentioned)?
Does the year of manufacturing matter? Like maybe in the quality of some parts or something? Or maybe those cars you mentioned are good only in recent years, and maybe getting a 2001 used Ford Fiesta would be a very bad decision instead.

Last edited by gonzaw : 10-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #21453
Good_Lord
Rumble on

Location: Quebec, Quebec, Canada. Yup that's right bitches, a Quebec within Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit

Finally ! That's awesome news ! It's going to be hard to pick a car soon.

Ford Focus used to be ugly as hell in North America. Kind of the same VERY cheap American car vibe, just like Cavalier, Tempo, Contour, Neon, Sunfire and Cruze have going on. Now they're out there with the Mazda 3 as the best looking econo cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayney
No cos the new Focus is really ugly.

Maybe, taste is subjective. Older one were much uglier IMO. There's just no way someone could walk into a North American Ford dealership back then and say '' WOW that's the car for me !''. They were just so plain and cheap looking. We never got anything good from a Focus until very recently.

Last edited by Good_Lord : 10-18-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Good_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #21454
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
The reasosn for mk3 mr2...

1. My mrs will be driving it
2. Economy
3. Insurance
4. Image
5. Handling

well, it's a wonderful car for all those reasons. Your lady will appreciate 2, 3, 4 and you'll love 5
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #21455
Blayney
est'd 1989

mk1 RS focus I'd have. Maybe a mk2 ST. mk2 RS has a bad image. mk3 is too ugly.

I think we are decided on a mk3 mr2 after christmas.

Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #21456
So-Cal
5evr

Quote:
mk1 RS focus.

future classic that, if you could find a good one

having said that it looks like they're demanding crazy prices already

Last edited by So-Cal : 10-19-2014 at 10:56 AM.
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #21457
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Nah, not quite RS500 or small turbo Cossie prices yet.

Most Mk1 RS are sat around the 8-10k for a decent one you can drive.

The best RS investment would be the Racing Puma.

You can get one for 3-5k.

RS stuff always holds it value (but I doubt that the Mk3 will) but they aren't always the best car they make (Mk2 RS was a munter to drive out the box).

Also.... Mk1 Focus is a design master piece. Absolutely revolutionary looking thing at the time and a genuinely brilliant car to drive.

I honestly think that the MK1 Focus cost a lot more to develop than Ford would admit.

Brilliant car.

Miss mine all the time, even driving a 14 plate Ecoboost Fiesta.

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 10-19-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #21458
Blayney
est'd 1989

I'd love a racing Puma. Such a good looking car. mk1 Focus RS would be on a lottery list, just to have one. I don't think I'd choose one if I had 10k though.

Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Old 10-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #21459
So-Cal
5evr

good shout on the puma only 500 produced so bound to appreciate

although probably not as much as the more well known rs cars, which most seem a little overvalued to me.

Last edited by So-Cal : 10-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #21460
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

yeah that puma is brilliant. Also that Focus RS is still a great looking car, yeah we got the shitted down version in North America and the front end refresh was utterly pedestrian, but you have to remember that the Focus shook the foundations of global small cars when it came out. That's not an easy thing to do.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: