Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

why has pod X3 got more amps then HD ? upgrade from XT

HI all about to upgrade,. normally i used the computer tone for jaming and recording ( Pod farm/Guitar Rig/GTR/Ampitude)
but doing live shows so thinking should upgrade my live rig upgrading from a pod XT
but looking at it ? why pay extra for HD ? when i get more amps with X3 ? is HD twice as good as X3 with less amps ?

also plugin into protools 10 does HD offer more workflow options ?

Thanks for Any input

Joy

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quality over quantity.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Quality over quantity.

x2

They are still comming out with more amp models for download. There will be more. I think they just came out with an SLO.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Quality over quantity.

basically. I believe the algorithms and such are all updated.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
T4D

anyone moved from X3 to HD and been Happy ?
I'm pretty happy with XT tone once I go though My Marshall 900 all sound great
But my PC amp sims are better ( Pod farm/Guitar Rig/GTR/Ampitude) straight from PC to A carvin 1000 watt to the same speaker stack.

marketing is Great From Line 6,.. BUT is HD really worth it ?

for HD price I could build a PC guitar rig in a rack for only alittle more then a HD pro ? and get far more Quality and quantity.. ? and check facebook while gigging LOL

Last edited by T4D : 11-19-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Jyrgen
Used Register

I prefer my Pod X3 tones to those of my brother's HD500, especially high gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Ian_the_fox
Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
anyone moved from X3 to HD and been Happy ?
I'm pretty happy with XT tone once I go though My Marshall 900 all sound great
But my PC amp sims are better ( Pod farm/Guitar Rig/GTR/Ampitude) straight from PC to A carvin 1000 watt to the same speaker stack.

marketing is Great From Line 6,.. BUT is HD really worth it ?

for HD price I could build a PC guitar rig in a rack for only alittle more then a HD pro ? and get far more Quality and quantity.. ? and check facebook while gigging LOL
I've played all three of them. X3 is a downgrade from XT, sounds inferior in comparison. Don't bother.

HD is the closest sounding to tube amps of all the PODs, though it still doesn't sound like a tube amp. But far superior than the X3.

HD's are big boy toys, while X3's are just for annoying Youtube shredder kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
T4D

I ended up getting a X3 Live from ebay for $125 after i tried a HD 500 in a music store.. ( got it last week )

IMO there's far more usiable Value in my $125 X3 then a $500 HD 500 And it sound freak'n SUPER,. 2 chains are better then the single chain in my old XT and the sound is great Plus it plugins into my variax perfectly AND plugin into my computer recording gear WITH excellent workflow.

for $800 I could have build a PC in a rack and run TH2, Pod farm, Ampitube, GTR and had Far FAR more options then a $750 for a HD 500 Pro .?? still lost what Line 6 are thinking with the whole HD series ?.. I just do not understand...?

Last edited by T4D : 12-09-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

i'm not a modeling expert, but I took my HD500 back after 20 days of fizz and frustration. I prefer Amplitube free over HD500 any day. Then I got the 5150 model... damn.

I found the HD500 to be very finicky with high gain but was very impressed with the control structure.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabstampede
I'm not a modeling expert, but I took my HD500 back after 20 days of fizz and frustration. I prefer Amplitube free over HD500 any day. Then I got the 5150 model... damn.

I found the HD500 to be very finicky with high gain but was very impressed with the control structure.

Yeah you have to have a 5150 !!

Plus the line 6 HD just didn't make me go WOW HD i need this !!! ..
it just sounds ,. good and bad across the amps ( some better some worst compaired to My old XT )

and agree YES,. the Best sound comes from a VST plugins all are great for different reasons and amps,. and I have most of them except Overloud Th2 & ReValver.

line 6 HD is just far to limited amp wise and too much money wise,. your getting near Avid eleven Or Build a Rack computer price wise so ,. I just was not going there..

Last edited by T4D : 12-10-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Ghostmaker

Don't look at the fewer number of models as a downgrade at all. I had an X3 and I disliked about 85% of the amp models. I'm glad Line 6 went with the quality-over-quantity approach. I haven't used an HD in person yet, but the sound clips I've heard sound good.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
T4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker
Don't look at the fewer number of models as a downgrade at all. I had an X3 and I disliked about 85% of the amp models. I'm glad Line 6 went with the quality-over-quantity approach

the X3 has 78 guitar amps you liked 15% = you liked 10-11 amps ..
how many amps do you need to be happy with the unit ? (specially when it's a easy bet that most metal guys do not like the AC30 and most blues dudes dislike the 5150 ??? )

Quote:
I haven't used an HD in person yet, but the sound clips I've heard sound good.

OH so you have not used a HD and you like the marketing of the HD ?,. So really your opinion is seriously worth as much as...

For me YES some people may say the HD has better quantity, good for them Your tone is YOUR TONE just like your Favourite color and no one can not disagree to someone's preference of Favourite color can they ??.

( personally I felt the cleaner tones from the HD were abit better But distortion NO the HD was missing tone wise over the X3. PLUS it was missing some major important Amp models )

but Most importantly you really have to test with your own ears to pay 5 times the price of the X3 ,.. and when you are about to pay 5 times the price.. ( if you love the HD ) check your options Avid eleven Or computer rack mounted with Amplitube, Guitar rig, etc etc,. could give you alot more Bang for your Bucks. I did not buy until I tested a HD myself with my own ears.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
Ghostmaker

Thinking about it, I liked 5 amps and 2 cabinets from the X3, ranging from crystal clean to stupid-high gain. That's a major failure rate IMHO. What's the point in having a billion amp models if all but a handful of them sound awful? I'm not close-minded when it comes to amps, I like a wide variety and it's disappointing I could only get a few of the sounds I liked.

Also, I know better than to base my opinions off the super-polished clips from Line 6. I was referring to HD direct-recordings I've heard from users. I can find more clips of the HD that impress me than of the X3.

No clue where the attitude comes from. You wanted an opinion and you got one. Sorry if you're sensitive.

Last edited by Ghostmaker : 12-11-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if you don't need the drive effects get a TC G-major

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMajor2/ it has a pretty good harmonizer on it too.

11r would be nice, but a little more cash.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
T4D

Quote:
No clue where the attitude comes from. You wanted an opinion and you got one. Sorry if you're sensitive. Go play some metal, or something.

Ian_the_fox prefers the HD ,.. Jyrgen prefers the X3 no issue at all glad they posted..

so no attitude dude,. I just didn't understand the "listen to me the HD is better then x3 even tho I have not played a HD",. opinion ?

Dude I'm not going to say a Axe FX is better then a X3 simply because I have NOT played though a Axe FX .. ( I would like to ) then I could have a real opinion before that time all I can do is guess from peoples opinions and marketing.

anyway Tone is King and each person should find there own tone even if it's sticking the guitar lead up there girlfriends ass,. if it sounds good ROCK HARD..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
Ghostmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
Ian_the_fox prefers the HD ,.. Jyrgen prefers the X3 no issue at all glad they posted..

so no attitude dude,. I just didn't understand the "listen to me the HD is better then x3 even tho I have not played a HD",. opinion ?

Dude I'm not going to say a Axe FX is better then a X3 simply because I have NOT played though a Axe FX .. ( I would like to ) then I could have a real opinion before that time all I can do is guess from peoples opinions and marketing.

Gotcha, all's good man!

Rate This Thread: