Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
James_Melv

Band Rehearsal Problems

BIG PROBLEM. The place we are currently practicing is too un-reliable for our current situation. We currently practice at a youth centre, yes sounds shit but no it's actually been so good for us as we stated out, the room had PA, amps, the works but it's never open as the staff never show up.

SO we need a solution, a place to practice. All the "band rehearsal rooms" are far too expensive and hard to come by, for example the cheapest we know of is 160 a month there abouts and we just can't afford that. So any suggestions on other facilities/place we could practice (the "practice at home/in one of our garages thing isn't possible either)

So any suggestions would be much appreciated.
James_Melv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
karstaag666
Karstaag666

Friends are the best thing for bands. The more you have of them, the more people are likely to come to your gigs. They also come in handy for things such as:

Rhoadies
Drivers
Advice
Promotion

and maybe sometimes having a garage you can practice in.
karstaag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!

I practice in a Storage unit. Not sure how common they are in the UK, but its nice as we have our own space with nobody to bother (except the occasional person who comes in to load/unload stuff)

Last.fm
BlitzkriegAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
karstaag666
Karstaag666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegAir
I practice in a Storage unit. Not sure how common they are in the UK, but its nice as we have our own space with nobody to bother (except the occasional person who comes in to load/unload stuff)

Lol reminds me of my old bands practice room.
We used to go to this factory/warehouse place and there were a few shoddy buildings around that you could go in and practice. Was like 20 a week if you shared it with another band. The place was like a drug den though, always smelt of weed and there was grafiti and trash everywhere! Was really good vibes but shit sound.
karstaag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

Some churches allow you to use the place when they are not using it, and rent out the basement and stuff cheap to make more money, try looking into that
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCraig
Some churches allow you to use the place when they are not using it, and rent out the basement and stuff cheap to make more money, try looking into that

Yeah, I played in a Mayhem cover band, we practiced at church's place.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
TNA

+1 for storage unit. There are also hourly rehearsal places around where I live. Bottom line though is that bands cost money. Go place some shows, or even do some open mics and stick a bucket out asking for money for a practice space. 160 a month sounds pretty reasonable when split between the band members. Or find another band to share the room with. Or if all else fails then maybe you just have acoustic practices at home for the time being.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
cheapr2keepr

Our band used to practice with mixer and headphones. Drummer had a 5 piece Yamaha electronic kit, bass and both guitars ran multi fx units into the mixer Singer had mic into the mixer, and we ran the output to a multi channel headphone amp.

It actually sounded pretty good. thru the headphones, and our hearing wasn't getting destroyed from an overly zealous drummer killing his drum kit. Just an idea. All it took was a space big enough to hold all 5 of us, and nobody got bothered by noise.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'm setting my house up for something like that, it's a cool idea.

TS, practice doesn't have to be loud, can't you use practice pads on the drums and use one of the band members houses? Where does the drummer practice?

Otherwise have you talked to the youth center staff? You could possibly work something out where you pick up/drop off the key?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
TNA

We actually do the headphone thing at practice also. Mostly it's because we don't have a nice PA, and we practice in a room that is difficult to balance everything in. We just mic all the instruments, and can adjust levels in the headphones. We hear everyone great and we can even get decent recordings off the board. In our case it doesn't cut down on noise, but as cheapr2keepr said you can rig it up to be almost silent.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
James_Melv

Thanks for all the help guys, i'm currently looking at storage units/warehouse space as the best idea's and the town where I live is full of warehouse and there are quite a lot of storage unit things, unfortunately the whole storage unit thing makes you pay for electricity use so it's all gonna add up bu thanks for all the ideas it's a massive help
James_Melv is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: