Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brits: do you put on an American accent when you sing?

When I see bands playing covers it can go either way:

1) They sing with an American accent and it sounds forced and terrible
2) They pull it off
3) They sing with their own accent and it doesn't fit
4) They sing with their own accent and make it their own so it works

Where do you stand on this?

Bonus question: How do you get rid of the shakiness from your voice? I'm singing pretty quiet along to music, it's not like a whisper. But certainly too quiet to be considered a performance, it's like regular talking volume.

It's particularly bad on long notes. It's something I've always noticed on beginner/bad singers.

Is it possible to sing with good technique quietly?

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 01-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
supersac

i put on a british accent
...not really im quite a shit singer
but i did notice alot of british singers sing with an america accent

and projecting your voice and supporting your breath are important part of correct singing probably need a bit more volume to sing better

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Andalus
Bànned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
When I see bands playing covers it can go either way:

1) They sing with an American accent and it sounds forced and terrible
2) They pull it off
3) They sing with their own accent and it doesn't fit
4) They sing with their own accent and make it their own so it works

Where do you stand on this?

I sing in my own accent. I'm from the deepest darkest reaches of Nottingham and my accent is very strong. The Midlands and North of England have very strong accents. I sussed out that because my target audience is mainly going to be people from my city... I might as well sing in my accent.

But on the other hand, I play originals. On the songs where there are fast singing sections it's very hard even for me to understand what I'm singing... but then, that's what lyric sites are for

If you're interested in hearing what a true English accent sounds like take a listen: https://soundcloud.com/ampburner/future-of-the-nation
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Bustopher

I'm Australian, so my accent is closer to the UK rather than the US, however there are songs you listen to where you simply must use the American pronunciation.

For instance the word "can't". Normally, in conversation I'd say "carnt", but in a lot of songs I find myself saying "cant" (rhymes with "rant" [what I'm doing now]). This is usually because the song is sung by an American and from listening to it, I emulate it.

Even the Beatles used to do this sort of thing, eg "Can't Buy Me Love" - he says "cant", not "carnt".

Re the shakiness and the low volume. They are probably related, but it sounds like you need more air. A very good singer who I know from High School (1980s) and is now a professional singer in Adelaide tells me that your mouth should be relaxed when you sing a note, and the air from the lungs is what does the work. You probably should try breathing exercises.

Another tip is to always keep your lungs full - which is the opposite of how you normally breathe. Normally you breathe in, then out, then pause with all the breath out of the lungs. (Notice you're doing it now??). When singing (or acting or public speaking) you need to pause with the lungs FULL. It's like "idle hand high" in drumming. When you're not doing anything with the hand, you bring it UP, ready for the next hit. You don't rest it down on the drums, because then you have to pull back and hit down. Keeping it UP when idle means it then simply has to go down. Same sort of thing with your breathing.

(PS I do sing professionally, but have never had a lesson in my life. I also play rhythm guitar, drums and keyboards, and have professionally taught drums, but nah, never had a lesson in anything - the key is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE).
Bustopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: