Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

Raising the soft palate

I started taking vocal lessons and the first thing we started working on is raising the soft palate. Wondering if I can get any other ideas on the importance of this and some suggestions. The suggestions I have been given is to singing like a ping pong ball is my mouth and to do a horse bite thing. I think it's working but its kind of hard to get feedback if I am doing it right on my own, which is why the lessons. On my own time, should I record myself and compare it to someone?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
jrenkert

Its not really a great idea to compare your voice to anything other than your voice. Its something that is unique unto yourself and therefore incomparable. My favorite idea is that of a yawn, that's the space you want in your mouth. It's important because that helps channel air out of your mouth instead of out of your nose which would make your tone more nasal. Another way of accessing this is to talk like Hedonistic Bot (or whatever his name is) from futurama and that will give you some idea of the space that you need.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
sweetdude3000

Cool, It's it okay to close your nose when you sing to evaluate whether or not if you are doing it correctly?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
ouchies
UG's OG

The best way is to just recognize how it feels.

If it helps, another way to raise the soft palate is to make an inverted "kuh" (k) sound.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Doveri

Ya having a flexible soft palate is good, because it will allow you to use your upper register and allow you to build a whistle/head resonance on your vocal cords.

Two more extremely important tips is 1. always sing with your nose, 2. sing with/focus on your upper jaws to balance both upper and lower registers. For some reason, focusing on the upper mandible allows the singer to perfectly blend high and low sections.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
BSaxby

for me, the yawning sensation is a good way to feel how to rise my soft palate
BSaxby is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: