Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
MasterGuitar126

Interested in Songwriting... but need help

Hi everyone! I'm very new to the community, but I've been a musician for 6 years playing guitar and singing for... a year or so... Anyway I've always been wanting to write my own songs... but I kinda get stuck when it comes to writing lyrics, I just can't seem to get what I want said out in a way that sounds good. If anyone can throw me some suggestions it would helpful. Whatever you think can help out a beginner.

Just in case your wondering, I'm wanting to write songs that would have an upbuilding and positive effect on my audience. Preferably in an Alternative Rock genre.
MasterGuitar126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Dio10101
UG's Biggest Idiot

thesaurus' are good. think about how to paraphrase and use symbolism as well
Egnater Renegade 212

My Band: http://www.facebook.com/SpacewalkBand
Dio10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
spudsisnumber1

Try writing songs all different ways. Write a song starting with a riff then build off of that, same thing with the melody and lyrics. Remember once you formulate and become stale, so does your music. When i started writing songs, I would usually come up with the riff first, and then sing some improvised lyrics ontop of it, This technique helps you practice lyric writing and you might even hear something you like. (Also, ive found that the stuff that you come up with off the top of your head is usually the best). listen to the beatles. Theyll tell you how to write.
spudsisnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
TheZodiac244

I find it easy to just take lyrics out of your head and just write them down as dumb as that might sound. If you think of a good line write it down if you think of a good title write it down. A good phrase sombody says, write it down.
TheZodiac244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
zacharyosborne3

I'm in the same situation. I can get a good sounding guitar part, but no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get any good lyrics to go along with what I'm playing. I have like two or three guitar parts written, and they would sound great with the right lyrics. I'm actually working on getting a band together, which would help me, but at the same time I want some of my own stuff.
zacharyosborne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
timcrow420

What helped me is writing raps, I have a few rap songs that I have done on my solo demo, 16 bar verses and whatnot of just flowing, I have some friends who can freestyle to, they really got me into just rapping and rhyming all the time, now when I record rock songs its easier for me because it doesnt have to be 16 bars a full page of lyrics sang fast, you can sing them and slow it down and say less.

The best thing for me is to just sit down and write pages of anything you can think of, even if it sucks just don't stop writing, go back and underline the better stuff, and just keep on improving it.
timcrow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGuitar126
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the community, but I've been a musician for 6 years playing guitar and singing for... a year or so... Anyway I've always been wanting to write my own songs... but I kinda get stuck when it comes to writing lyrics, I just can't seem to get what I want said out in a way that sounds good. If anyone can throw me some suggestions it would helpful. Whatever you think can help out a beginner.

Just in case your wondering, I'm wanting to write songs that would have an upbuilding and positive effect on my audience. Preferably in an Alternative Rock genre.

Study the lyrics that move you. Transcribe them. Don't look them up on line - listen and write.

I think songwriters should create their own thesaurus and rhyming dictionaries based on the artists that they like, as well.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Transcribe them. Don't look them up on line - listen and write.

That's a bit of a weird one. I get transcribing the musical content but, lyrical content? Can you elaborate on why you think this is a useful technique.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
TomB-Guitarist
Musician and Gamer

I mentioned this in another thread. Try writing about world events or an experience you have been through. That's what helped me write ballads and rap. I get songwriter's block a bit. Try writing poetry. It really helps. Or if you come up with lyrics, write them down and keep hold of them, and add to the lyrics if you come up with more ideas.

Hope this helped

Good luck

Rate This Thread: