Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
jerrethmorris

US What are multi effects pedals?

Can some one explain what are multi effects pedals and what they do im looking into finding a way to get all sorts of effects like distortion and overdrive etc without buying and looking for a ton of different pedals can someone help explain to me.
jerrethmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrethmorris
Can some one explain what are multi effects pedals and what they do im looking into finding a way to get all sorts of effects like distortion and overdrive etc without buying and looking for a ton of different pedals can someone help explain to me.

multi effects pedals are pedals that contain multiple different music effects, like:

-distortions/OD/fuzzes
-reverbs
-delays
-phaser/chorus

to name a few. usually these are implemented digitally through DSP (digital signal processing) chips. usually they work by allowing different effects to share time on the DSP chip so you can have multiple effects running at once.

most multi effects arrange effects much the same way you'd lay out pedals, the create a modular environment (they treat each effect like it's a separate pedal) where you can tweak the parameters of the effects much like you'd tweak the knobs on a particular pedal.

some amplifiers will have a multi effects system built in, complete with amp simulation.

i personally don't mind some of the effects on a multi effects system, reverbs and delays can usually sound quite good. but distortion effects usually suffer.

that being said, there are some quite incredible multi effects systems out there that do an great job of sounding very realistic.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
SuperKid

problem is when you buy your 200-300$ multi effect pedal and it breaks , its going to be hard to repair (complicated digital circuits there, parts impossible to replace sometimes). they dont really sound great compared to the individual pedals, unless you buy a very expensive multi effect pedal

go for quality and buy a boss/ibanez distortion pedal
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
jerrethmorris

So itd just be more cost effective and simpler to just fine good pedals and make your own effects board or would seeking out a good effects board that has realistic tone to it be better to do
jerrethmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKid
go for quality and buy a boss/ibanez distortion pedal

Don't really agree with this. Most of the Boss and Ibanez distortions are pretty terrible. Boss' overdrives are okay and the Ibanez ones are great, but I think the TS really needs something like a multieffects to get his head around what effects and sounds he likes.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
SuperKid

well you will eventually buy your 100$ zoom multieffect pedal or whatever other brand and realize in a few years it sounds terrible on gigs when you crank your amp. dont really think you need all the different delay , phaser, modulation, and 10types of distortion a multi effect would offer you unless youre really into that experimental music

but if you just want to try and have fun because of the quantity of effects go for it, nothing wrong with that
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
So itd just be more cost effective and simpler to just fine good pedals and make your own effects board or would seeking out a good effects board that has realistic tone to it be better to do

To get an idea of what sort of effects and sounds you like, yes. Once you get an idea on what sort of effects you like you can buy the individual pedals.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
SuperKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Don't really agree with this. Most of the Boss and Ibanez distortions are pretty terrible. Boss' overdrives are okay and the Ibanez ones are great, but I think the TS really needs something like a multieffects to get his head around what effects and sounds he likes.

Youre right, not all boss products are good (take for example metal zone and mega distortion pedals), but some of them sound great on good amp. Best thing to do is at the guitar shop, to take your guitar and try the pedals you will want to use on the amp you have at home (if possible), and crank it up just to be sure it doenst sound like plastic but only good at low volume. Id recommend Ibanez TubeScreamer, i use it at very low level on my overdrive channel and it sounds great

Last edited by SuperKid : 10-26-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKid
well you will eventually buy your 100$ zoom multieffect pedal or whatever other brand and realize in a few years it sounds terrible on gigs when you crank your amp. dont really think you need all the different delay , phaser, modulation, and 10types of distortion a multi effect would offer you unless youre really into that experimental music

but if you just want to try and have fun because of the quantity of effects go for it, nothing wrong with that

If a $100 multi effect lasted me a few years, I'd be pretty damn happy with that investment. I've spent more to be entertained for 10 minutes.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
If a $100 multi effect lasted me a few years, I'd be pretty damn happy with that investment. I've spent more to be entertained for 10 minutes.

Hookers? Anyway ts buy a used cheap multi effect figure out what ypu like and don't like and buy your gear accordingly.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Hookers?

And blow, son. Don't forget the blow.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
And blow, son. Don't forget the blow.

What's the point of buying a hooker with out snorting coke off her ass, you might as well go to church if your not going to do that.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Hookers? Anyway ts buy a used cheap multi effect figure out what ypu like and don't like and buy your gear accordingly.

best advice in this thread. pick up a cheap multifx, learn about effects, then you have an idea of what you want to use and buy down the track.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:

Not necessarily. There are some MFX out there that are quite good. And once you get into that range, it moreso becomes a matter of your preferences as a player. As you can see in my title, I'm a MIDI *****. I had individual pedals for a while, and that just doesn't work for me. MFX/MIDI allows you to control many things at once - for instance allowing you to go from a clean amp with chorus, reverb and delay to a dirty amp with an OD and an EQ with one stomp. With individual pedals, that change would take 6 stomps.

However if you don't need to make changes like that, and you're going for a simple/straightforward tone, then pedals can have a lot of allure, and arguably yeah you're most likely going to get better tone out of a standalone pedal than a digital sim, but that's pretty much exclusive to pedals that cost $150+.

At the end of the day, neither way is right or wrong - you have to figure out what you need.

As far as cheap MFX go, I recommend a used Boss ME-70. leave the amp models alone, and it's a pretty decent unit.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #16
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
best advice in this thread. pick up a cheap multifx, learn about effects, then you have an idea of what you want to use and buy down the track.

I said that earlier.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #17
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
I said that earlier.

yours was an opinion, his was direct advice.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: