Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Tokai09

What's the hardest songs you've had to learn as a band?

My band is thinking of covering You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon. But what is the hardest song your band has had to cover?

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Tokai09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Toasted_Waffelz

All New Materials by Periphery is pretty challenging but we're getting there.
Planning to do some Origin or Necrophagist soon
Toasted_Waffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

A brief band I had covered Cemetery Gates. That's really hard to get down for five people to all learn and work on.
Originally Posted by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
thePTOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Tokai09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePTOD
A brief band I had covered Cemetery Gates. That's really hard to get down for five people to all learn and work on.

That is such a hard song to learn! Another band I was in, tried covering that....we were unsuccessful...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
gorkyporky
I like pie.

For the entire band, i guess Welcome Home by Coheed, but that was because the drummer was an idiot and couldnt keep count of where in the song he was. And it was the same with The Human Instrument by Volbeat, especialy since he was exceptionaly bad with the double kick.
But the hardest song to learn for me was probably God of Forbiden Light by Dissection, just because the lead guitar has so many variations and little hooks in it, that you really need to get a feel for it.
Otherwise, i dont remember any special songs that were harder all the way trough, usually just a riff or two.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Most of the super hard technical songa fall into thrash metal/prog that aren't that popular when compared to standard cover material, so there's nothing off the top of my head that I've done that would fall into the "ridiculously hard" area.

Things like Guns n Roses can take a bit of work on the guitar, Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" can give the drums and bass a real workout, obviously Adele, Beyonce etc can be desroyed if you don't have the right singer. Some of the country session work Ive done has been very hard, due to the speed and lack of familiarity with the genre.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Really, I believe that if everyone has the parts secured, you should be able to play through the song, unless it's an unbelievably complicated Math/Tech/Whatever song, in which, the band themselves probably use metronomes so that it can be easy, so of course it'll be hellish without metronomes. Saying that, I'd say the most difficult I've covered was Without Love from Hairspray, as I'm not a funk guitarist, and it has so many key changes and particular rhythms, it was rather hellish pulling all together with a band that was inexperienced with musical theatre.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
koslack

I just played bass in a charity concert last night that was a tribute to the Beatles. Some of the bass riffs were tricky, but the real difficulty was in the sheer scope of some of the arrangements - at one point we had 13 musicians on stage, including a keyboard, a piano, a cello, 2 violinists, a trombone and a horn. Making sure nobody was overplaying and trampling on other musician's parts, not to mention scheduling rehearsals could be a bitch.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

It's usually arrangements that kill bands, not the individual parts.

Inevitably there'll be that one song where the arrangement just makes NO sense... and somebody somewhere will forget that the four bar transition that becomes shortened to two bars the second time around, and six the time after that, never actually appears after the second bridge as you would expect it would.

We're working on Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand right now. Dead easy to play, but the arrangement is complete nonsense.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 06-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I agree that Take Me Out is a pain to pull off. Also Ghosbusters....ugh
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
kilbie
Super Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Most of the super hard technical songa fall into thrash metal/prog that aren't that popular when compared to standard cover material, so there's nothing off the top of my head that I've done that would fall into the "ridiculously hard" area.

Things like Guns n Roses can take a bit of work on the guitar, Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" can give the drums and bass a real workout, obviously Adele, Beyonce etc can be desroyed if you don't have the right singer. Some of the country session work Ive done has been very hard, due to the speed and lack of familiarity with the genre.

+ 1, audiences don't usually care if you play a ridiculously hard song. They'd rather hear a song they are familiar with.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Tokai09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbie
+ 1, audiences don't usually care if you play a ridiculously hard song. They'd rather hear a song they are familiar with.

I agree too. I'd rather spend time getting an Olly Murs song (Near) perfect than performing a Dream Theatre song.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
KillRoy Ver 3.0
Symphonic Dischord

We never did get a chance to perform it, but the last band I was in we were able to pull off a fairly passable version of Opeth, The Drapery Falls if I do say so myself.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #14
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

When my band first started, we tried to learn Heretics and Killers by Protest the Hero, I knew the song already,no one else did but we tried, we never got around to finishing it though, it was easeier to right originals that are just as hard.
My high school's band used to cover fall of troy songs, Ex-Creations was a B@$!#
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
BrokenRetinas
Rhythmic Mathrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny bb
When my band first started, we tried to learn Heretics and Killers by Protest the Hero, I knew the song already,no one else did but we tried, we never got around to finishing it though, it was easeier to right originals that are just as hard.
My high school's band used to cover fall of troy songs, Ex-Creations was a B@$!#

That's weird, I remember in middle school it only took me about a day to get Thomas' style down and then about an hour or two for each song. Except for Symphony's intro, took me a week to perfect double tapping ;-;
BrokenRetinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Archer18
Green Mile Official

For our band, I think I would say 'Nobody move, nobody get hurt' - It's not a technically challenging song, it just took us time to get the drums and bass/guitar part tight together, as the drums are quite unorthodox.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Archer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
Jesse0315

I'm starting to work on Halo by Machine Head with my band. Its going to take some time to work on it and get it down.

Basically...
Jesse0315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: