Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Sparky

Opinions on a Vox AC30

I'm looking at getting either an AC 30 or AC 15. Probably an AC 30 because I could use the extra wattage. They have the custom classic and the handwired edition. Now normally I'd just get the handwired one and be done with it. However there's no fx loop which I really want. The custom classis also has tremolo and reverb which I really like.

So I'm stuck, I haven't had the chance to try either one out yet. I hopefully will be able to soon. But based on reviews the handwired is apparently a lot better sounding. But it doesn't have the features I want. Are there any other amps that get the AC 15/30 sound well and also has at least one of the following: reverb, tremelo, or an fx loop.

My budget is about $1300. Which is exactly the price of the handwired head. But I'm sure I could find it used cheaper which I what I'm hoping for if I do decide to get that. I'd prefer to have a head just because of cost, but I wouldn't say no to a combo as long as its in budget.

Also, are the special editions of the custom classic any better sounding? And how are the tony bruno vox amps?
Major Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

no fx loop? wow, every decent amp should have one, that's a deal breaker for me
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
ikey_

on the 15 yeah. it would be for me too.

have you tried others? 1300 puts you in a good spot. personally, i would be all over a mesa TA -15...and i hear they dyna watts or some jazz can appear to be higher wattage than actually rated, more headroom, i dunno the science or marketing. i just know they did some crazy design with it.

they say in that dyna watt setting it pushes to 25 watts.

also, Dr. Z? tremenous headroom and actual volume, very simple, some do have FX loops.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sparky
Are there any other amps that get the AC 15/30 sound well and also has at least one of the following: reverb, tremelo, or an fx loop.

Info about the standard AC30 C2 combo from the Thomann website:

Vox AC30 C2 electric guitar full-tube combo 3x 12AX7 (ECC83) preamp 4 x EL84 poweramp - 30watts, 2x 12 thomann Celstion G12M Greenback speaker, 4 Inputs High & Low (Top Boost & Normal), control for Normal Volume, Top Boost Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb-Effect Tone, Level, Tremolo Speed & Depth, Tone Cut, Master Volume, Backside Output for external Cabinet x2 (Extension & External), FX send FX Return, Switch for thomann 8/16 Ohm, Footswitchjack (Tremolo and Reverb), Dimensions: 702 x 265 x 556 mm (HxWxD), weight: 32,2kg, footswitch optional (165749 VOX VFS2A or 198735 LEAD FOOT FS-2)
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Volcz
The Vox Dude

I'd go for the AC30C2, not the Custom Classic. The CC's had an unreliable rectifier tube and some terrible wharfedale speakers.

I went for a C2 over the handwired because it was more convenient for me, loving the in-built reverb and tremolo. It's just the complete package. Although one of the biggest reasons I didn't get a handwired was lack of funds.

Of course if I could afford a handwired I would definitely go for it. It's on another level to the customs, they're absolutely insane. The C2 is my favorite amplifier though, just because it's the perfect one for me. Try them out and one will just click. You can't go wrong with your choices!

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.

Last edited by Volcz : 04-25-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Sparky

Are the AC30C2s and the custom classics different? I thought they were the same.
Major Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sparky
Are the AC30C2s and the custom classics different? I thought they were the same.

When they were launched Vox claimed they added some "boutique" features to the CC models that were still available at the time.

They only have the AC Custom models listed on their website though, so I guess they've replaced the older non-custom models completely now.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
phayzze

I had an AC15C1 for about a year. Great amp, never had a problem with it. The built in tremolo and reverb was great. I believe they can be modded to have an effects loop, you may want to look into that.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

The C2 AC30s are not the same as the Custom Classic AC30s. They sound better to my ears and are more reliable. I'm getting one eventually. My AC15C1 (same series) has been great, but the lack of headroom and an fx loop grates on me lately.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: