Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Wobbey363

Custom guitar help?

So just the other day I bought this Les Paul style guitar body for a few bucks at a yard sale with the thoughts of building my own custom guitar. The only problem I'm having is finding a decent bolt on neck for it. The ones I find are like 100+ if anyone can tell me where I can find a not so expensive one I would really appreciate it.
Wobbey363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
samjbow

I've never built my own guitar before, but I doubt you'd find a decent neck for less than $100. Keep in mind the neck includes a fretboard and inlays, a nut, and a truss rod. It should also be carefully crafted. It's not just a hunk of wood.
samjbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Wobbey363

That's what I thought. Oh well it's not that big of a deal for me. I just don't want to drop a few hundred on a neck.
Wobbey363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
sea`

Building a guitar is not cheaper than buying one straight. It's bound to be more expensive and the results aren't going to be as good unless you're an experienced builder.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Slap-happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea`
Building a guitar is not cheaper than buying one straight. It's bound to be more expensive and the results aren't going to be as good unless you're an experienced builder.

My self-built Tele cost me roughly $350 all up. It stands up very well against my early 90s US Standard Tele and has never needed any serious work. About the only thing I am going to do is sand back the finish and re-paint and lacquer it once we’re out of winter (Australia…).
Old 07-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Guitbuilder

Maybe the most important place to put your money on a rebuild is the neck. Verify that the new neck's scale length matches yours. Neck profile, fingerboard arch, fret size, as well as scale length can change the way the guitar feels and plays. Choose wisely.
Guitbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
odiegel

Hi Wobbey,
You can lots of really cheap necks from here: http://stores.ebay.com/Allen-Eden-G...d=p4634.c0.m322
They are not too bad (I bought a few for early prototype) but cannot compare to a good neck that costs you more. I now buy all my necks form Warmoth.
Cheers
Olaf
odiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
GOLDIE93

There was an ebay store called Dragon Mountain, I believe that had some decent prices on necks.

Rate This Thread: