Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
kaiyiwang399
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
E-guitar like an acoustic guitar

well this may be strange, but i want to buy an e-guitar that sounds like an acoustic one.

i realy realy like the fretboard and body of an e-guitar, but i'd like to play songs like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbmnUIJQDQ&list=PL11D89BF8F33A13E4 .

I'd appreciate your help, because i'm still kinda a noob :S
kaiyiwang399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
rohash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
If you're talking about an electric guitar, you can get an effects pedal that have an acoustic sound setting. I have a zoom g1next that has an acoustic setting, only paid $50 for it. There are also many different acoustic/electric guitars made these days that are made thinner with fretboards similar to an electric. The Ibanez aef30e that I mentioned in another thread is one. Ibanez also makes something called a talman that is even more electric looking.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
chrismendiola
Registered User
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Get an acoustic simulator. As someone who generally dislikes BOSS pedals, its acoustic simulator is pretty realistic.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
Get an acoustic simulator. As someone who generally dislikes BOSS pedals, its acoustic simulator is pretty realistic.
Yeah, I have a Boss BF-2 Flanger from the 80's. It spends its life in the box it came in.

Or, our TS could try this little gem for 50 bucks. It's probably a Boss clone anyway. The reviews are pretty good: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHAM400

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
chrismendiola
Registered User
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Yeah, I have a Boss BF-2 Flanger from the 80's. It spends its life in the box it came in.

Or, our TS could try this little gem for 50 bucks. It's probably a Boss clone anyway. The reviews are pretty good: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHAM400

Eh, well you know how everyone feels about Behringer as a whole. I've never met anyone who would even use a Behringer pedal if it were free. Maybe give it a shot, but I'm skeptical, even though I've never tried the Behringer acoustic simulator.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
Eh, well you know how everyone feels about Behringer as a whole. I've never met anyone who would even use a Behringer pedal if it were free. Maybe give it a shot, but I'm skeptical, even though I've never tried the Behringer acoustic simulator.
Yeah I know, there's no status in paying too little for something.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
chrismendiola
Registered User
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Yeah I know, there's no status in paying too little for something.

Jeez, your username really suits you. Recently, when I quote you, you think I'm trying to argue with you.

The point wasn't to suggest that I'm against it because there is no cachet behind Behringer, but that it has a bad reputation universally, which is worth something. I did say it's worth a try.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
Jeez, your username really suits you. Recently, when I quote you, you think I'm trying to argue with you.

The point wasn't to suggest that I'm against it because there is no cachet behind Behringer, but that it has a bad reputation universally, which is worth something. I did say it's worth a try.
OK, it would seem that you don't like to be disagreed with either. "Your user name suits you" always seems to arise on these blessed moments.

Berhinger effects work and sound just fine. I will grant you that they're actually better for acoustic use, than electric.

We could break that down further by anecdote; I have a Peavey Ecoustic E208. It has a "genuine analog chorus", and a "genuine spring reverb".

The chorus effect is so noisy, it needs to be turned all the way down, and switched to the opposite channel from the one being, to make it almost disappear.

The spring reverb doesn't do all that much. It's surely nothing like the ones in a Fender twin.

So, I have a floor full of Berhinger ambiance effects, and the only controls I use on the Peavey are volume and tone

If you're trying to play clean, (as with an acoustic), digital effects have come of age.

If you're going on tour and gigging 7 nights a week, then Berhinger probably isn't for you. If you want analog noise and harmonic distortion, then bucket brigade analog chorus is for you

If you're sitting at home trying to fatten up the sound of your hybrid 12 string, then Berhinger ambiance pedals fill the bill quite nicely.

I've never tried the Berhinger acoustic modeler either. But, you're stance of "you can try it, I doubt if it's going to work", just prejudices the issue.

However, I would try it before I dismissed it.

As far as Berhinger's reputation goes, I always review the reviewer, (with ANY product), before I accept the value of his or her opinion. So, if there's a horrific review, and all you get in the text, is U, UR, misspellings, poor to no punctuation, I judge it as invalid.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
chrismendiola
Registered User
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
OK, it would seem that you don't like to be disagreed with either. "Your user name suits you" always seems to arise on these blessed moments.

I don't care whether or not you agree. It's hardly a disagreement, anyway. We both said something to the effect of "it might be worth a try," only you seem to be more optimistic about its efficacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Berhinger effects work and sound just fine. I will grant you that they're actually better for acoustic use, than electric.

We could break that down further by anecdote; I have a Peavey Ecoustic E208. It has a "genuine analog chorus", and a "genuine spring reverb".

If they work for you, then they work for you. Maybe had I made the suggestion that it isn't worth its value or that Behringer pedals never suit anyone's tastes/needs, you'd have a reason to argue. Since the OP is a self-proclaimed "noob," he may not know that Behringer has such a bad reputation. Normally, I try to ignore what others think and find out for myself (I actually found out for myself before I knew of how everyone feels about it), but with how poorly guitarists seem to think of them, then the quality of its pedals might actually warrant a cautionary statement to a beginner.

EDIT: You added more, so I'll address that, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
I've never tried the Berhinger acoustic modeler either. But, you're stance of "you can try it, I doubt if it's going to work", just prejudices the issue.

However, I would try it before I dismissed it.

As far as Berhinger's reputation goes, I always review the reviewer, (with ANY product), before I accept the value of his or her opinion. So, if there's a horrific review, and all you get in the text, is U, UR, misspellings, poor to no punctuation, I judge it as invalid.

It doesn't even have to be people who write reviews. Guitarists practically hate them universally, which I'd say calls for a useful warning to a beginner.

You seem so against making judgments on products before getting a chance to hear them, but you invalidate an opinion because it isn't expressed eloquently? I could pick apart your post for violating simple grammatical rules, too, but I wouldn't disregard your opinion on something not even relevant to how you feel about guitar gear. You spelled the brand name wrong every single time despite owning a lot of the pedals, but I won't take that as a suggestion that you're wrong about how you feel about them.

Last edited by chrismendiola : 08-23-2014 at 11:49 PM.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
I

If they work for you, then they work for you. Maybe had I made the suggestion that it isn't worth its value or that Behringer pedals never suit anyone's tastes/needs, you'd have a reason to argue. Since the OP is a self-proclaimed "noob," he may not know that Behringer has such a bad reputation. Normally, I try to ignore what others think and find out for myself (I actually found out for myself before I knew of how everyone feels about it), but with how poorly guitarists seem to think of them, then the quality of its pedals might actually warrant a cautionary statement to a beginner.
Did you actually read that thread? Because the general consensus was that Boss is shit as well, they'll just probably last longer because they have metal cases.

In any case, the thread sort of proves my point, the electric guys were railing about distortion effects mostly, and I wouldn't look to Berhinger if that were my thing.

In any event, I'll see your UG thread, and raise you the Amazon reviews on Berhinger's chorus: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UC2...t/dp/B000Y30NAA

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
chrismendiola
Registered User
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Did you actually read that thread? Because the general consensus was that Boss is shit as well, they'll just probably last longer because they have metal cases. In any case, the thread sort of proves my point, the electric guys were railing about distortion effects mostly, and I wouldn't look to Berhinger if that were my thing.

In any event, I'll see your UG thread, and raise you the Amazon reviews on Berhinger's chorus: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UC2...t/dp/B000Y30NAA

Yes, I did. Did you read this thread? Because you keep suggesting I'm making arguments I didn't make. First- that I suggested against Behringer because it lacked cachet. Then you tell me of your personal positive experiences as if I suggested that Behringer pedals would never work with anyone's tastes/needs.

Now you've twisted my words again, this time as if I made an argument that BOSS pedals are always superior to Behringer. As you can see, what I said about the link was that guitarists think poorly of them, not that BOSS is superior.

Why does it matter that I said I won't believe it would meet a certain standard? All I said was that I wouldn't believe it wouldn't be any good. It makes a lot of sense. I haven't seen the new TMNT movie, but judging Michael Bay's past works, I can safely assume that I won't like it and that it has too many explosions. Someone asked me for advice about a specific Rolex watch- I told him that it's difficult to go wrong with the brand and it has a reputation of reverence that I believe is warranted, even though I haven't had any experience with that specific Rolex watch. Yeah, there's a chance I could be wrong, but never did I make a definitive statement that reputation is factual, just that I have my opinions of it.

Reputation isn't a catch-all representation of every single item/idea of what's in question, but it is a reasonably accurate guideline. I know I didn't express that outright, but I thought implication could be easily realised. I was wrong- instead someone is imagining that I made other implications.

Yeah, of course, sometimes its products will get positive reviews. I said they are generally hated, not that nobody anywhere likes them. I guess you could take my initial statement of "Eh, you know how everyone feels about Behringer as a whole" at face value, but I think that could be easily understood as a statement of an obvious generalisation not meant to be taken literally. It works and is affordable, so no surprise there.

Let me rephrase my points in a way that can't be misconstrued:

(1) Behringer has a bad reputation when it comes to making pedals. Guitarists feel pretty strong negative feelings about them.
(2) Generally, you should take the opinions of others with some caution, as to not allow others' bias to colour your own opinion, or that you should take someone's word on it, as you might feel different as you are a different individual.
(3) However, it's such a popular opinion and a strong one that it should be noted. It would be worth telling a beginner about this.
(4) By all means, try it.
(5) No, I never tried it myself, but with my experience and with the experiences of others, Behringer tends to make products that don't cater to standards, and has made its mark to guitarists as low quality.

Last edited by chrismendiola : 08-24-2014 at 12:35 AM.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Wow, you like to argue as much as I do! That's such a rare quality.

I'm going to play my 12 string now, though my crappy Berhinger pedals.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
 
patticake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right under the Hollywood sign
have you checked out the line 6 variax? some of the ones i've tried were pretty cool!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.