Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #11361
Tony Ramone
PV Viking

Yeah, I'm thinking my next power tube purchase will be the Shuguang 6L6GC-STR. Apparently they're the same ones that Ruby use, and Mesa-Boogie too (although I think they hand select the best ones they can find and match them for their amps).
As far as your mods go, you can replace those caps in conjunction with the mesa mod. I'll have to check my notes to see what I did, I think mine is slightly different (I may have changed C117 as well, I can't remember offhand). I actually never went near R100 and my amp sounds fine, and very quiet (I sometimes have to check that I still have a signal by bashing the strings :P)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #11362
MaaZeus

All the R100 does is make the SS gain stage sound more pleasing by disabling the noise killing circuit that causes crossover distortion as side effect but disabling it increased the noise floor. I am just pondering if the pros of R100 still outweight the cons after the Mesa mod is done. If the Mesa mod, since it increases gain, also increases the noise (just guessing here) would the noise become unbearable without the noise killing circuit to remove it?

I guess I just have to find out. I'll do the Mesa mod first and if its too noisy I'll just remove the jumper from the R100. Thats like 15 second job. I dont even have to remove the circuit board since I soldered it on the top.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-03-2014 at 08:15 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #11363
Tony Ramone
PV Viking

Actually, the Mesa mod reduces the gain of that stage a bit so that the added gain boost doesn't get so horrible
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #11364
MaaZeus

Oh! So the noise might actually be reduced on that gain stage making the noise killer circuit even less necessary. I will definetly try it with the R100 mod intact first.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #11365
Sadistic sponge
Holy Shmokes boy!

MaaZeus, I have all those mods plus the mesa mod on my amp and it's no problem. The R100 mod usually best off being bound to a 1Mohm (I think?) potentiometer. There isn't much room for this in the combo amp's chassis but you should be able to find a spot easily for it in the R100 head.

Tony, C117 can be changed in conjunction with C149. I personally added a three way switch that allows me to switch between two capacitor values and a bypass. Personally I find bypassing both capacitors to be a little harsh for leads but great for metal rhythm stuff.

And btw, the problems you were having with setting the current for those power tubes might be remedied by installing a larger resistor in the bias mod? Just a thought- not a very elegant solution though since you'd need to change it again when you change back to 6L6GCs

New clips demonstrating the MT-2 and TS9 boosting are now online!

Last edited by Sadistic sponge : 03-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Sadistic sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #11366
MaaZeus

Mod is succesfull! The amp is a firebreather now. Still not uber saturated like 6505 (obviously) but atleast it sounds good in both gain boost on and off. Earlier there was either not enough and very loose kind of gain with gain boost off (unless tubescreamer was in front) or too nasty that bordered unusable (especially without R100 mod) when the boost was on.

Not a huge change on noise, except there is now very slightly of it with the gain boost off. If I understood correctly the SS gain stage is now always on, so that should be the reason.

@Sadistic sponge. I didnt do the C149 thing fully because I did not have 100k resistor at hand. I merely lifted the leg on the C149 as instructed in the Mesa mod description.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3
Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #11367
Sadistic sponge
Holy Shmokes boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
@Sadistic sponge. I didnt do the C149 thing fully because I did not have 100k resistor at hand. I merely lifted the leg on the C149 as instructed in the Mesa mod description.

I don't think you need a resistor for the C149 mod. If I recall you just lift the leg and that's it.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #11368
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadistic sponge
I don't think you need a resistor for the C149 mod. If I recall you just lift the leg and that's it.

I meant for this mod:
Improve distortion character
Remove C149, remove C103, fit C149 into position C103 and leave C149 position empty. Remove R101 and replace with value 100k.

Moving the C149 cap into C103 and replacing the R101 with different value resistor.
I hestitated on moving the cap only because I was unsure what the effect is.

Also correction on the noise thing. The noise was reduced a bit. The noise I heard earlier came from my Bad Monkey which has run out of battery and was powered by cheap 9V power supply. Guitar connected directly to amp the noise floor is far from bothering.

*edit* Man, now I have badass sounding amp but I am almost unable to play. God damn those spring locks on power tubes wreak havoc on your fingers. I removed them twice, first for initial test and again with contact cleaner added and final assembly.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #11369
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Tried out some new tube combonations, and I have some sweet results that you guys might wanna try.

In the preamp I put a Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 in V1 and V2 and as always the Sovtek 12AX7lps in V3. Buttery smooth gain, and bright, removes alot of low end flub from the amp, but I might put a tungsol in V1 again since I like the cleans alot better, the Gold lion is more of a gain stage tube in my opinion.

Power amp, I put Tungsol 6L6GC-STR. The tubes are smaller than your normal 6l6's which worried me, but man do they add some serious punch to the amp. I'll be buying Tungsol power tubes from now on.

When I get my Bareknuckle Nailbombs in whenever they decided to fufill my order, I'll get them installed into my tele and lay down some riffs for yall.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #11370
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Well, the nailbombs wont be coming in for awhile which sucks..anyways, I did lay down some riffage with my Bareknuckle Trilogy Suites, still punchy.

The playings a bit loose but it's hard trying to get back to where I was before I stopped recording years ago.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1250641
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #11371
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

just a quick question for yous!

im gonna replace the speaker in my VK 112, with the warehouse speaker veteran 30 12"

what Ohm speaker should i get? 8 or 16 ? the wiki says both work
is there a difference in sound or volume between them?
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Celestion G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #11372
Sadistic sponge
Holy Shmokes boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketface2112
just a quick question for yous!

im gonna replace the speaker in my VK 112, with the warehouse speaker veteran 30 12"

what Ohm speaker should i get? 8 or 16 ? the wiki says both work
is there a difference in sound or volume between them?

If the wiki says that it is mistaken! At least for the older model of the VK. The correct load is 16 ohms, do NOT connect the amp to an incorrect load or no load at all. It can blow your transformer.

In case you haven't seen it, this video is helpful for seeing the speaker swap process.

Last edited by Sadistic sponge : 04-01-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #11373
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

haha alright then thank for clearing that up, it seemed strange when i read it, that video is perfect!!.i remeber seeing that video before a few year ago, forgot about it till now lol

[edit]
Alright, i gotta say the best thing to do to a VK 112 is change the speaker.Ive had this amp for 4 years, and its never sounded better. I installed a Celestion G12 and it has gotten rid of any muddyness and just makes the amp a hell of alot clearer and tighter, wish i had done this years ago... thanks

Only problem i had was one of the bolts was messed up and stripped the end so i wasnt able to get the nut off. Ended up breaking it off and just mounted the speaker with 3 instead haha

Quote:

Transformice

Last edited by Rocketface2112 : 04-04-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #11374
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

That guy in the video was fast!
(2) VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1083925BlueEyes Cr in theRain FndSS
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #11375
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

Any ideas what i can do with an extra Celestion v30 G12?
I may have purchased 2 on ebay, 1 arrived and i got it installed, the 2nd is coming soon, just have no need for it.

I wont be buying stuff on ebay when im stoned again lol

Quote:

Transformice
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #11376
457undead

How hard would it be to fix this? What do I need to do? Can a beginner like me do it? Thanks. Here's a link to the picture to show you what I'm talking about because the file size is to big apparently: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp337t57m...3%2044%20PM.jpg
457undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #11377
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
How hard would it be to fix this? What do I need to do? Can a beginner like me do it? Thanks. Here's a link to the picture to show you what I'm talking about because the file size is to big apparently: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp337t57m...3%2044%20PM.jpg

Pull the chassis, remove the remains of that input, solder on a new one, tighten nut. Not all that difficult - can be done with some soldering experience and being careful.

Remember, some capacitors in a tube amp can hold a stupendously high charge for a long time after unplugging. You should be fine if you're extra careful, but when in doubt, discharge them safely first.

Quote:
Any ideas what i can do with an extra Celestion v30 G12?
I may have purchased 2 on ebay, 1 arrived and i got it installed, the 2nd is coming soon, just have no need for it.

I wont be buying stuff on ebay when im stoned again lol

Assuming the VK is your only amp...
You could buy some multiplex and make a 112 cabinet for no apparent reason other than to have one. Or uninstall the other V30 from your amp, slap the original VK speaker back in, and use both Celestions to make a 212 for more bass (internal speaker is bypassed when an external speaker is hooked up).
Or, y'know, sell the second one on ebay and cut your loss.

Last edited by PsiGuy60 : 04-09-2014 at 03:48 PM.
PsiGuy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #11378
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

i think i may just sell it, but the 2x12 is a good idea but they are both 16 ohm speakers, i wouldnt be able to use them. right?

Quote:

Transformice
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #11379
457undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiGuy60
Pull the chassis, remove the remains of that input, solder on a new one, tighten nut. Not all that difficult - can be done with some soldering experience and being careful.

Remember, some capacitors in a tube amp can hold a stupendously high charge for a long time after unplugging. You should be fine if you're extra careful, but when in doubt, discharge them safely first.

How would I remove the chassis? Also, will the method of flipping the turn on switch off while the amp is fully on drain the VKs capacitors? Thanks.
457undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #11380
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Quote:
i think i may just sell it, but the 2x12 is a good idea but they are both 16 ohm speakers, i wouldnt be able to use them. right?

Wrong! You will have no problem driving 8 OHMs!
(2) VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1083925BlueEyes Cr in theRain FndSS
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: