Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
AngryIndianDude

Valveking 100W Head vs Jet City JCA50H?

Hi, looking for a metal 2x12 cab for my bedroom. Both of these are budget metal amps, don't care about watts, 50 would do fine for me, which would be better? Forget about boosting with an OD for now. Thanks!
AngryIndianDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Wait, are you asking for cab suggestions or opinions on those two heads? This thread is confusing...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Bedroom use? Are you sure?

I assume this thread is because you have finally admitted that the advice in your pedalboard thread was justified and that you need a new amp. In that thread, you said "These would be for someone who plays metal, small gigs and is an aspiring gigger". That's not bedroom use....

Either of those heads would be good for gigging, but if you're only talking bedroom use you really don't need more than 5 watts with tube amps. You'd also only need a 2x12 cab if you're gigging, for strictly home use only that would be way over the top.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 05-21-2013 at 08:19 AM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Bedroom use? Are you sure?

I assume this thread is because you have finally admitted that the advice in your pedalboard thread was justified and that you need a new amp. In that thread, you said "These would be for someone who plays metal, small gigs and is an aspiring gigger". That's not bedroom use....

Either of those heads would be good for gigging, but if you're only talking bedroom use you really don't need more than 5 watts with tube amps. You'd also only need a 2x12 cab if you're gigging, for strictly home use only that would be way over the top.

I would use it at home as well as for gigs, I understand when people talk about stacks they have a bedroom one and one with higher wattage, could just be me misinterpreting. This is not strictly home use, infact probably less of that. But yes, I understand that 5 watts would be plenty in this case if it was solely for home

Cheers on the other thread about pedals, you were invaluable, I loved the tips so much mate!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

No worries

Can't comment specifically on those two heads you asked about as I haven't used them, but as you're on a budget I'd recommend the Jet City. It's significantly cheaper, will get the job done and will leave you some money to get a better cab.

Not sure where you're based, but if you can use Thomann they do a Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 cab which is pretty highly rated but still reasonably priced.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

You can get away with less on this. I've got the Jet City JCA22H, and I run it through a 1x12 at home, and a 2x12 for gigs. Unless you're playing larger venues that don't have an in-house PA system, you should be able to swing something similar.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Take the Bose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
AngryIndianDude

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
No worries

Can't comment specifically on those two heads you asked about as I haven't used them, but as you're on a budget I'd recommend the Jet City. It's significantly cheaper, will get the job done and will leave you some money to get a better cab.

Not sure where you're based, but if you can use Thomann they do a Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 cab which is pretty highly rated but still reasonably priced.

Hey everyone + Gary

Turns out MY SPIDER IS BEING SOLD. I can up my game. I was thinking instead of the £250 Jet city 50w head I was considering, for the £120 im getting from selling the spider I could up the head price by that much. That takes me almost 400 where I can get a valveking comfortably and not skimp on a cab.

I had another thought and spoke with parents, they seem to support the idea of me getting a head and cab now quite comfortably. I was thinking of spending even more and getting a head and cab which would last me for a longer while without having to upgrade or if my tastes change still be satisfied. That said the ironheart 60w is at £500 and it has the 1W bedroom switch which is awesome, frankly. Any suggestions about this ironheart? Thanks everyone!!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the jet city is way better for metal, if you ask me. it's a better amp than the valveking- thomann just has them for a really good deal.

EDIT: 1 watt is still really, really loud. if you have the master volume on a high wattage head down to 1 or less it's putting out way less than 1 watt. I haven't tried the ironheart, it may be awesome, but if its low wattage switch is like any other low wattage switch i've tried... it won't be as useful as you think it will.

EDIT #2: I wouldn't worry too much about changing your mind later. get what suits you now. Very few amps are great at everything until you get into the really, really expensive stuff- and even those are rarely as good at each tone as far cheaper amps which excel at one thing.

it's very hard to second guess what you might like later, and you run the risk of getting something which doesn't suit you now, basically.

EDIT #3 (sorry ): and yeah the jet city head and the harley benton g212 vintage cab are the way to go, most likely, unless you fancy faffing about with swapping speakers yourself (and that'll cost you more money). it's probably worth pointing out that vintage 30 speakers are very loud, though. eminence v12s are a bit less loud and a bit less "in your face" and aren't that dear (~£45 each). If you got the cheaper harley benton cab without the v30s it'd end up costing you around £30-£40 more overall. Up to you, in other words.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-21-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

As a Valveking owner, get the Jet City.

Can't speak for the newest Valvekings, but out of the box, the Jet City is the way better amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
AtiX

JCA 100HDM

About the same price as the Valveking but more gain than the JCA 50/100. Also has a 50W mode for your bedroom although it will still be too much.
AtiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
ExDementia
UG Freak

Just stick to one thread, buddy. No need to open another one on the same topic.

Also, I think your definition on what a cab is is a bit off. A cab is just a box with a speaker in it, the amp is what drives the speaker, and has all of the useful electronics that give our guitars the sound we want. A cab on its own does nothing.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
As a Valveking owner, get the Jet City.

Can't speak for the newest Valvekings, but out of the box, the Jet City is the way better amp.

As a former ValveKing owner, +1

The VK is one of those really bland, jack of all trades amps.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

Jet City

Look at the JCA100 HDM if you have the money.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtiX
JCA 100HDM

About the same price as the Valveking but more gain than the JCA 50/100. Also has a 50W mode for your bedroom although it will still be too much.

the 100hdm has more gain? i thought it was the same thing with the 50/100 watt switch and the depth mod?

and yeah 50 watts isn't exactly bedroom volume, lol.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
the 100hdm has more gain? i thought it was the same thing with the 50/100 watt switch and the depth mod?

and yeah 50 watts isn't exactly bedroom volume, lol.

Dave, Dave , Dave....

You know better than this, it comes with a volume knob for a reason.

1 watt isn't exactly 'bedroom volume' with a high-sensitivity speaker...103db is pretty damn loud! Well above 'sustained exposure may cause permanent damage' and just slightly below 'power mower'...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Oh i agree 100%. I was saying that in response to his point about the jca100HDM, that it "has a 50W mode for your bedroom although it will still be too much." The 50 watt mode will be no more use for bedroom playing than the 100 watt mode, in fact it may well sound worse (most amps with lower wattage settings sound best at full wattage, lol).

I run my 50 watter jet city at home volumes all the time (and my other high wattage amps). I totally agree with you that how they react at home volumes has very little to do with the wattage, unless you want to crank them to 10 (and if you do, anything above a fraction of a watt is too loud).

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-22-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Rate This Thread: