Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
CappuChino

Help: Choosing between - Epiphone g-400 or Epiphone Dot Semi Hollow

Hi Experts, Im planning to buy my 2nd guitar im choosing between Epiphone SG (g-400 pro, faded g-400) and Epiphone Dot Cherry Semi Hollow. I really need feedbacks, suggestion or advice about the both guitar. Btw I play Pop Rock/Punk/Alternative and sometimes even metal with real high distortion and gain.
CappuChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
samuraigoomba

I would recommend going into guitar stores and playing both, preferably several of each model. Used, they're both going to be in a similar price range ($180-300 depending on condition and upgrades). Both are MIC I believe, and both will probably need to be set up properly. A G-400 is very affordable, but it's also a mass-produced epiphone and that comes with certain risks. I've heard a number of people say the pickups were muddy.

I don't know much about the dot. I DO know that Ibanez makes a semi-hollow line that a lot of people really dig at about the same price. I'm always hearing about how great the Artcores are. Something to consider if you aren't totally sold on Epiphone.

Something else to consider is going straight for a Gibson SG or high-end LTD Viper. If you spend a bit more now, you won't feel the need to upgrade as soon as you will if you buy a cheap epiphone. You can find a good G-400, but I doubt you can find a good one without playing a bunch of them.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
CappuChino

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
I would recommend going into guitar stores and playing both, preferably several of each model. Used, they're both going to be in a similar price range ($180-300 depending on condition and upgrades). Both are MIC I believe, and both will probably need to be set up properly. A G-400 is very affordable, but it's also a mass-produced epiphone and that comes with certain risks. I've heard a number of people say the pickups were muddy.

I don't know much about the dot. I DO know that Ibanez makes a semi-hollow line that a lot of people really dig at about the same price. I'm always hearing about how great the Artcores are. Something to consider if you aren't totally sold on Epiphone.

Something else to consider is going straight for a Gibson SG or high-end LTD Viper. If you spend a bit more now, you won't feel the need to upgrade as soon as you will if you buy a cheap epiphone. You can find a good G-400, but I doubt you can find a good one without playing a bunch of them.

Hey Thanks for your reply. Also thanks for you suggesting Gibson SG or LTD Viper. But I dont feel those guitars specially Gibson its too expensive for me Sir. So what I really need is feedbacks, suggestion, advice about the two Epiphone Guitar mentioned above. Im on a budget so thats what I can really afford right now. Also I dont have time for Doing a Test Drive on both guitars. If I'm Going for a Epiphone G-400 i'll pick up one which is brand new. But If i will go for the Epiphone Dot I know someone who is selling it 2ndhand.
]
So I really need a quick Feedbacks, advice about both guitars. So Yeah Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
bobafettacheese

Seeing as how you are planning on playing metal the dot may not be ideal for this. Key word was "may". I know that sometimes in a high gain situation the the dot (semi-hollow to hollow style guitars) tend to produce unwanted feedback. However there are ways to get around that feedback and I have seen people that like that type of feedback. Just comparing the two and your styles, it seems like the SG (g-400) would be the way to go for you. Like said earlier you need to just play them both. As far as price point comparison, I think that the Dot holds it value a little better and is generally regarded as the better instrument of the two. That's just my $.02!
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
CappuChino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettacheese
Seeing as how you are planning on playing metal the dot may not be ideal for this. Key word was "may". I know that sometimes in a high gain situation the the dot (semi-hollow to hollow style guitars) tend to produce unwanted feedback. However there are ways to get around that feedback and I have seen people that like that type of feedback. Just comparing the two and your styles, it seems like the SG (g-400) would be the way to go for you. Like said earlier you need to just play them both. As far as price point comparison, I think that the Dot holds it value a little better and is generally regarded as the better instrument of the two. That's just my $.02!

Oh im wrong with the "May Play metal on it" Please forget that So think i want the epiphone Dot but really need feedback about it
Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
samuraigoomba

You say you can't test drive either guitar, but that this price point you really need to. Otherwise, you might get a good G-400, or you might get a bad one. With expensive and even mid-range guitars, you expect a certain level of quality and don't necessarily have to test drive them. But for $300, you really, really should.

Since your choice (as presented) is paying new prices for a G-400 (new prices are ripoff prices, usually) or buying a Dot used, I guess take a look at the Dot. But it is somewhat of a false choice, since even in your price range there are a lot of other guitars you could look at. Godin, Danelectro, Ibanez Artcore, Gretsch, etc. As I understand Epiphones, it's generally believed you need to get up into the Traditional Pro line or thereabouts to find consistently-good workhorse instruments.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: