Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Tab Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
That_Guitar_Man
User Registered

Whats with all these tabs taken down?

The material that was posted to this page was removed from the site. Ultimate Guitar received a takedown notice from the copyright owner claiming that the user submission was an infringement of their rights. In compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act we have removed the submission as requested by the owners.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act gives the person who posted the material the right to file a counter notice to dispute the removal of the material. If you posted the material and you believe the identification of the material as infringing was incorrect and that your submitted material should be reinstated then you must submit a formal counter notification with

How come I see this message with like 2/3rds of the tabs I click on? Ive been using this site for 7 or 8 years now and I have never seen this until recently. Did they pass some law saying that tabs are illegal or what? I thought tabs were legal because they represented the tab writers version of the song.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
That_Guitar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

As I understand it, the material is still copyrighted and the owner of the copyright has legal authority to request that it be removed - if an agreement is not in-place.

I've seen plenty of tabs on this site, where the submitter acknowledged copying it from copyrighted sheet music - that's just plain wrong. I've also seen tabs that matched sheet music I own. Chances are, they were copied. Like I said, even if it's not copied, the owner still has legal authority to request it be removed.

I don't agree with it either, but that's the way it is.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
That_Guitar_Man
User Registered

So UG complies with their requests even though they can legally keep them up? Thats messed up...

They could at least remove the tabs from the search results if they're removed, you can't have it both ways UG. Its either you have a lot of tabs or you remove them like a scared little boy.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guitar_Man
They could at least remove the tabs from the search results if they're removed, you can't have it both ways UG. Its either you have a lot of tabs or you remove them like a scared little boy.

I can't say I have seen this anywhere but for Dethklok tabs.

If the original artist (or record label I suppose) wants it removed then UG have to take it down or risk legal action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guitar_Man

I agree with this though I think they should still appear in the search, they should be noticeably altered so that I know they have been taken down before I click on them. This way if I ever search for something that has been taken down I know it has and know not to bother tabbing it myself and trying to upload it. I don't write tabs but yano, I'm sure it would save others the same effort.

I don't mean anything special when I say "noticeably altered", they could just put it in the column that says what type of format the tabs are (I.E Tab, Bass, Drums, Guitar pro, Power tab)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
kingston160

one word CISPA
kingston160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Yabba Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston160
one word CISPA

That's not a word... that's an acronym.
Yabba Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
That_Guitar_Man
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by link no1
If the original artist (or record label I suppose) wants it removed then UG have to take it down or risk legal action.

So the reason they take them down is because they don't want to bother lawyering up and paying the court costs since the record labels can obviously afford that but UG can't...

Now that is some f'ed up shit by the record company, I can learn songs by ear easily now (been playing about 8 years now I think). But with solos I'll still need help...youtube it is then since google can certainly afford court costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by link no1
I agree with this though I think they should still appear in the search, they should be noticeably altered so that I know they have been taken down before I click on them. This way if I ever search for something that has been taken down I know it has and know not to bother tabbing it myself and trying to upload it. I don't write tabs but yano, I'm sure it would save others the same effort.

I don't mean anything special when I say "noticeably altered", they could just put it in the column that says what type of format the tabs are (I.E Tab, Bass, Drums, Guitar pro, Power tab)

Good idea, I'll make a thread in suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston160
one word CISPA

looked it up and the law never passed, its still awaiting votes and it already got vetoed by the senate once

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
DON CZARSKI

A lot of times if a tab were originally here you can find it still on another website that does not pay attention to legal threats... Like Bruce Springsteen tabs... It's only a google away... And a lot of these other sites got them off this site originally...
DON CZARSKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
That_Guitar_Man
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON CZARSKI
A lot of times if a tab were originally here you can find it still on another website that does not pay attention to legal threats... Like Bruce Springsteen tabs... It's only a google away... And a lot of these other sites got them off this site originally...

yeah im starting to find that. Also youtube is really helpful these days with all these "learn to play this popular song" videos.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
ruker
the iconflict

Yeah, I had 2 Sublime GP tabs taken down. At first I was like, "Cool! My tabs were so awesome, they had to remove it because it put the tab book versions to shame." But then I saw most of the Sublime GP tabs had been removed.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
crk112

A few years ago it was the digital music movement... the record companies whined because they were missing out on their precious effing money so they complained until SWAT teams came and wrecked up people's lives for downloading music.

Fast forward to 2013, now it's the guitar tab book companies whining because they're missing out on their precious effing money.

Just more of the man bringing us down. I wonder why they just don't want us to have any fun????
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
DON CZARSKI

...the funny thing is I don't know any guitarist that buys guitar tab books... Not many people want to play one artists complete album... Most people want to only play a song or two off any album and that is it.... And like I said they are in a losing situation as people will just go to you tube to find out how to play a song or just find it at another website.... I agree..let people just have fun and play the music...
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
amx360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON CZARSKI
...the funny thing is I don't know any guitarist that buys guitar tab books... Not many people want to play one artists complete album... Most people want to only play a song or two off any album and that is it.... And like I said they are in a losing situation as people will just go to you tube to find out how to play a song or just find it at another website.... I agree..let people just have fun and play the music...

I own a bunch of tab books but I haven't bought any in a long time. Hmmmm...now that I think about it...... er......... I don't think I've bought one since I found this site.
amx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
DON CZARSKI

Most people I know if they do want a song and can not find it on the web and can to figure it out will go to a music store and find the tab book and just look the song up and write the chords down and not buy the book anyway... Or go to the library and if lucky find the tab book there and get it out.... Mainly though realistically how many tab books do you think a store would own.. I mean I am sure if a person can not find the tab on the Internet then a music store having that particular tab book is not realistic.... Most stores only would have the tab books of groups that existed many many years ago or only a grop or individual that has sold millions and millions of records .... Other then that it wouldn't pay to make a tab book of them..... And if there is a tab book out there then you can bet the song has been tabbed on this site or another one or is on you tube.....
Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
nagha

Very frustrating. All the tabs I have been interested in have been removed. WTH!
nagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
mglass222

So they don't want us to be able to learn the songs that they sold to us and made millions in doing so that's f'ed up. I'm sick and tired people being greedy a-holes. All this copyright whining is bullshit
mglass222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
nagha

I don't mind paying but I don't want to pay for a book. I wouldn't mind paying for GP tabs like "Mysongbook" but they have what, 1000 songs? This is ridiculous!
nagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
garykob
garykob

garykob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: