Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #16901
Diamond Dave

so yeah, I haven't had the chance to start troubleshooting yet but I am holding some hope that the platters are OK

although that hope may be completely misguided lol

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #16902
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Hey guys, help a bro out please.

My new laptop came in and it is horribly slow! I'm so frustrated, and to compound that frustration I don't understand Windows 8 at all. The computer has decent specs. Even trying to uninstall the bloatware was slow and said "program not responding" a lot.

I'm preforming a system reset right now, which is taking hours.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #16903
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3powil
Hey guys, help a bro out please.

My new laptop came in and it is horribly slow! I'm so frustrated, and to compound that frustration I don't understand Windows 8 at all. The computer has decent specs. Even trying to uninstall the bloatware was slow and said "program not responding" a lot.

I'm preforming a system reset right now, which is taking hours.

Download a clean Windows 8 iso and the system drivers and do a full re-install. Nothing beats a nice clean slate.

You can also install Classic Shell if you want a Windows 7 style Start Menu. It can also do Windows XP or 9x/NT4/2000 start menus if you dig those for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #16904
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinduck01
Download a clean Windows 8 iso and the system drivers and do a full re-install. Nothing beats a nice clean slate.

You can also install Classic Shell if you want a Windows 7 style Start Menu. It can also do Windows XP or 9x/NT4/2000 start menus if you dig those for some reason.

Done and done.
The factory windows settings had the minimum processor speeds at 5%, so I bumped it up to 60% on battery and 75% plugged in. MUCH faster now. Is this a good thing to do or is it going to eat my battery life too much?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #16905
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
So I was stuck in an office for 9 hours today (mind you, I don't work there) trying to fix a mail server. They could send and receive mail internally within the network, and could send mail out, but couldn't receive mail over the internet. Exchange was spitting out errors to the Event Viewer every 5 minutes on the dot.

After many many hours of breaking my head (first three hours was just trying to find someone who could give me the god damn username and password to the server), trying to redo their gateway configs, calling the ISP about port blocking, dealing with Exchange connectors, and whatever else, I figured it out. Guess what it was?

Their C drive was full, but not so full that Windows would bother warning me about it. They had 4 gigs of space left. Apparently that was little enough that Exchange wasn't pulling the mail database file because it wouldn't fit on the drive. I found some shit I could delete and then mail started pouring in.

Why is it always a solution so dumb that it makes you want to kill yourself?

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show

Last edited by Seref : 08-19-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #16906
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

@c3powil:
Who cares? It's a laptop. You'll plug it in all the time, anyway.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 08-19-2014 at 11:37 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #16907
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
@c3powil:
Who cares? It's a laptop. You'll plug it in all the time, anyway.

Yeh, I guess I can change to uber power save mode when taking notes in class anyway.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #16908
DamienEx1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
Why is it always a solution so dumb that it makes you want to kill yourself?

As I so often do in this thread, I am laughing at the situation, not at you.

Good story. Would read again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #16909
Shabalaba

So my computer just packed in completely. Well, I'm presuming so. It froze whilst I was on it, and then when I tried to reboot it absolutely nothing comes up on screen. From my knowledge (of previous computers dying ), graphics card death would cause a blue screen, hard drive death would mean you get to the bios page and it wouldn't find the hard drive, and power supply would mean it would have any power. So that leaves me with chipset and motherboard?

Unless you have any suggestions I'll be getting a new PC. Firstly, if I take my hard drive out of my old pc and put it in the new one, will the previous drivers and software for the old parts cause some issues upon first boot up? Also if I assemble it myself, how easy is it and how much would I save?
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #16910
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabalaba
Unless you have any suggestions I'll be getting a new PC. Firstly, if I take my hard drive out of my old pc and put it in the new one, will the previous drivers and software for the old parts cause some issues upon first boot up? Also if I assemble it myself, how easy is it and how much would I save?

Putting an "old" hard drive in a new machine should be just fine (provided the drive still works). The only concern might be that the drive would be kind of slow, with the amount of slowness increasing with age of the drive.

All your new hardware (which, depending on how old your previous hardware was could be anything from 1 component to all new components) should have DVDs/mini-DVDs that install the drivers and/or hardware specific software.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Today at 12:50 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #16911
DamienEx1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabalaba
So my computer just packed in completely. Well, I'm presuming so. It froze whilst I was on it, and then when I tried to reboot it absolutely nothing comes up on screen. From my knowledge (of previous computers dying ), graphics card death would cause a blue screen, hard drive death would mean you get to the bios page and it wouldn't find the hard drive, and power supply would mean it would have any power. So that leaves me with chipset and motherboard?

If you can give us the type of hardware you currently have, we can tell you what will be easy to carry over to the new machine or if anything is worth keeping. As long as stuff like the harddrive and CD/DVD drive are SATA and not IDE then it wont have an issue. But the exact hardware, motherboard, processor, etc would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: