Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
cdgraves

The what scale? it's an arpeggio, it doesn't have to relate to the key by name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ Lol @ Hungarian exotic scale. Just in case Hungary wasn't exotic enough, and the accidentals #4 ie. b5 is the blues scale, and b6 (I'm guessing you mean maj 6) is usually linked to dorian and regularly employed in blues. So basically the hungarians played a lot of blues.

I was saying it's usually effective to use diminished arpeggios on scale degrees that resolve by half step to a note in the tonic chord (or whatever chord is happening at the moment). b6 would resolve downward to 5, and is pretty much the same as playing a V7b9.

Last edited by cdgraves : 06-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Sure - I was just making fun of the name. The resulting scale isn't very exotic or Hungarian.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
kashmir0109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
The fill at 2:12 sounds like diminished arpeggio and minor scale with a b5.

Who cares what the scale is called? Just figure out the licks he plays. They are all pretty much minor scale with accidentals.

This guitarist doesn't sound "unique" just because of the scales he uses. And IMO he doesn't even sound that unique. I mean, nothing bad with his playing, I think he plays well, but I hear nothing unique in his playing.

I got caught up over my head with the theory and can't follow now :/

And maybe not unique, but just impressive given the wankers that I normally hear playing guitar in the local band scene in my city.
kashmir0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir0109
I got caught up over my head with the theory and can't follow now :/

And maybe not unique, but just impressive given the wankers that I normally hear playing guitar in the local band scene in my city.

OK, I'm not saying this guitarist is bad or anything. IMO he just wasn't that unique, that's all. I think he played really well.

But the thing is, the licks he plays aren't that unusual. Diminished arpeggios are pretty basic stuff - not heard on every solo but still nothing I haven't heard before. OK, as somebody said, he uses diminished arpeggios in places where you don't usually hear them. But scales alone don't make you sound like him. You need to learn to use the scales the right way. There's more to it than just scales. It's about your phrasing that makes you sound like you. Of course everybody also has their own "signature licks" and the diminished arpeggio seems like this guy's signature lick.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: