Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #181
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Here's the clip I was talking about, to save you looking back a page.

http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3

I don't give a shit who uses what. Show me something that has that level of talkback. I'm not even saying nothing can. I'm just throwing it out there as a challenge. I don't care about any of that ^ shit. How it's mastered is irrelevant, I am talking about how it reacts to your picking. Show me or gtfo.

i tried really hard with the fender mustang but no go. it just breaks up unless you're barely barely picking but then the volume is too low. it doesn't have that dynamic of pick sensitivity that i think you are talking about.

now i tried it again with the good ole vox da5 and i think i should be able to put together a decent clip. just not tonight. i should have done it sunday when i had the time. i mean it's not the same but you can fake an almost passable example and i do think you will agree.

but no it's not the same.

maybe some of the newer stuff can though, i kinda doubt it too myself tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowe102
OK dt25 with hd500 j45... just touch example.
https://soundcloud.com/angie-lee-ha...-track-1-mix-14

that's not bad, probably better than the vox will do.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 04-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #182
dlowe102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
+1 The DT is a hybrid amp. It has a very similar circuit to the Spider valve. The input is actually a DSP interface and not a true tube preamp. Only the power amp is all tube.

You are wrong the circuit in the dt is nothing like the spider valve.
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #183
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowe102
You are wrong the circuit in the dt is nothing like the spider valve.

Well that was helpful....

Care to support your claim and detail the differences?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #184
Lucky-Luciano
Banned

Bedroom guitarist-cant crank amps at home easily, low wattage amps are not the same in terms of tone

can spend 2k and get every amp and pedal and cab and mic imaginable

fun jamming to original recordings after doing tone match

Home recording-no need for studio time. multiple amp tones and no danger of losing a good tone in error

Rehearsal room-dont have to carry amp and your cab

band gigs-less time messing and setting up

covers or wedding bands-emulate band tones to get authentic covers. travel in a small car!

touring bands-again travel more light and no danger of tubes dying on you. famous bands can emulate their old tones.

Disadvantages - tone is 0.1 percent less organic

tech gear can lose value more than tube amps

I think they will be dominant in 5 years, however in 10 the technology will be on an app or something crazy.
Lucky-Luciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #185
l8nlst

One will never replace the other. Electric guitars never replaced acoustic. Most serious guitarists own both. Its just one more tool in the arsenal.

It should be noted however that at one time accordions were the most popular instrument in America.
l8nlst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #186
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ you seriously just said that?

Electric guitars were never meant to replace acoustic guitars.

This thread is about the future of modeling technologies. I think.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-22-2013 at 05:26 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #187
dlowe102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Well that was helpful....

Care to support your claim and detail the differences?

There was a write up explaining the exact difference. Ill have to find it. But basically the spider valve uses modeling from the spider series wich model's the pre amp and power amp of the modeled amp then sends that to the tube power section to color the sound. Kinda like running a pod through a tube power amp. except i think a pod has better modeling .
The dt uses hd modeling of the preamp of an amp model only. uses a tube dt25 /tubes dt50 to color that modeled preamp amp model then thats where modeling stops... then the mechanical circuitry of the power amp chooses one of four defferent tube circuit routes dependent of type of amp model so that the tubes of the poweramp interact realistically.
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #188
RedJamaX

I don't think tube amps will ever go away completely...

But I do think they will eventually be seen kinda of the same way classic muscle cars are seen today. Everybody will still want one, but something that's way more convenient, more affordable, and requires less maintenance that achieves the same goal will be the choice for most people.
RedJamaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #189
6505fiz

Even when playing through an Axe FX and a nice set of monitors, there's just something "missing", it's not "tone" or "feel"... rather, it feels as if even the best made amp modellers are more forgiving, sort of like playing a video game on easy mode or something.

That said, I have rack modellers and use them all the time instead of my tube amps, but I know this, I sure love having both at my disposal.
6505fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #190
jazzman1021

When it comes right down to it decide on the sound you want; plug in amp; plug in guitar; add your pedals, if you wish, and work those dials. Sometimes it will come right away, sometimes not, but your sound is there, no modeling, no shortcuts, just tone.
My experience = Line6 et al = Phooey
Best regards

JM 1021

Last edited by jazzman1021 : 06-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
jazzman1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #191
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6505fiz
Even when playing through an Axe FX and a nice set of monitors, there's just something "missing", it's not "tone" or "feel"... rather, it feels as if even the best made amp modellers are more forgiving, sort of like playing a video game on easy mode or something.

That said, I have rack modellers and use them all the time instead of my tube amps, but I know this, I sure love having both at my disposal.

I agree

There is a feeling that something gets lost when you attack the strings. I don't know how to explain it but it feels like something gets taken away. It just doesnt translate as well as playing through a plain old amp.
Silky Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #192
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Anyone ever try out modeling -> Line 6 stagesource?
Clay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #193
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Forget tubes amp's future - why won't this thread die?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #194
D_M_I
Omniscient

When the aliens come, we will have the answer. They surely have moved on from tubes.....Or have they?
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #195
ADOLF1612
New and Friendly Player

Can I join? I'm in no ways taking Mr. Cathbard's challenge, but wanted to give a contribution on modeller's dynamics.

https://soundcloud.com/adolf1612/fe...g-dynamics-demo

The clip is me playing my Esp Ltd trough my Fender Mustang I, modeling an almost cranked Twin Reverb, recorded directly from usb out, I swear you're not hearing anything other than that, and neither am I showing off my playing (I just first picked the guitar today and did that, so that's me noodling around without any previous warmups or anything).

I won't say that I'm in for Tubes, SS or Modeling, I'm in for Tone, whatever gives me a pleasant tone is good to me.

For an 100$ amp it's not bad (to me), surely recording it the old method with a mic would have sounded better but not having any recording gear is going to make that difficult xD, Opinions?
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
ADOLF1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #196
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

i feel modelling tech will eventually reach a similar level as the best tube amps and be able to react to pick attack and volume like tube amps do. modelling tech is good right now and it can only get better as years go by. you only really need to look in the kempers direction. that thing is a beast.

however, Im not at all a fan of the axe fx so many people praise. sounds so sterile to me.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #197
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Although I think Modelling amps WILL keep getting better and better, one thing I find they do bad is the tones in between clean and dirty. They do well with metal, hard rock, where it involves some chunky tones, and they handle pure cleans very well. It's those slightly overdriven, subtle breakup tones that sound the worst to me.

For example, lets take PODs for instance:
the Fender clean amp models sound great with the drive really low but when you push em to get that typical breakup sound the coldness of it comes out in full force.

Although POD farm has made for some very quick easy decent recordings.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: