Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #941
Amuro Jay
goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro

Yay!
oh my oh my, this will be incredible.

Brian posted this to tumblr:
Quote:

"Tonight You Have Broken My Heart."

Tonight we played the third show of a three night stand in NYC. It was a beautiful venue at Pier 26 and we played with one of my favorite bands the Hold Steady. But tonight, after the show, I found myself with some things I feel I need to say that have been a long time comingÖ

I play music because something stirs inside of my heart and it needs to be expelled. I have found from a young age that music is the avenue which relieves me. It allows me to say words and choose notes that speak to my own soul. It comforts me. There are people who have found something in my bandís songs that speak to them as well. Iíve met some of them, they come to our shows and have purchased our records because theyíve found something that speaks to them somewhere in the things we have created. That, to me, is amazing.

However, I feel it necessary to address that we are The Gaslight Anthem. We play Gaslight Anthem songs. Weíre not the band you think we may be akin to. My name isnít Bruce, Itís not Eddie, or Joe, or Paul either. If youíd like to hear their songs they are readily available and the former two tour quite often. You should go see them, they put on great shows. They play long sets over two hours sometimes. Itís truly amazing to watch them at their craft. But again, weíre not them. We have a different set of rules. Weíre on a different course, because we arenít them and canít be them. We have to find our path, because thatís the only honest thing we can do. Which is where I find myself now, proud of what weíve done, and where weíve come from, but itís time to find the next thing. Time to create a new sound, time to create the next Gaslight Anthem.
We will always play those songs, but we will never be that band again.

When I was 27 years old we wrote a record called the Ď59 Sound. It was our first break. We got to work with a wonderful man named Ted Hutt who taught us things we never wouldíve known without him.

I was a kid pouring his heart out about what moved him inside and what I loved. Now I have to be a man pouring my heart out about what moves me inside.

Bands who have long careers change. Drastically. That doesnít mean they no longer like what they did in the past or what got them where they are. It means they have to create and be true to who they are RIGHT NOW, not be true to what people want them to be.

To say that bands donít owe their fans anything is wrong. They owe them the truth of their art. They owe them a performance of songs theyíve written at that specific show as they are that evening. The ticket doesnít promise what happened at a show three years ago, or five years ago, or ten years from now. Live music is beautiful that way, because itís that night only. Itíll never be that show again.

When you go see a band itís a gamble, like going to see a movie. You may not like it in the end. But you canít change it. It is what it is. The only difference between bands and movies is that one show might be 90 minutes, one show might be three hours. But the ticket just says what band is playing. It doesnít make promises of that cover they did once,
or that guest they had last week, orÖ your favorite song.

Hereís an example of what Iím talking aboutÖ

I love the movie Kill Bill. I love Uma Thurman, but no matter how hard I wish or yell at the screen, or insult, or wave my hands. Sheís not coming over after the film. No matter how many times I watch it. Itís also not gonna change, itís not gonna add a scene or delete a scene just because I want to get to my favorite part quicker. Sheís not gonna make out with me because I think sheís pretty. She doesnít owe me anything because I like her or her movies. She is not her work.

I am not my work. I am a guy who happens to have felt some things and gotten in a band that put those things to music and a few people thought it spoke to them. Thatís a miracle to me that I remember everyday.

Iím going to go away from the press and interviews now until we finish writing our next record and find out what we will be in the next chapter of our artistic careers. I have nothing left to say until we find what that next chapter of our band is.

To our fansÖ please bear with us through this awkward period of finding our new legs. Iím being honest with you here because I am grateful for your loyalty to my band.

To the spiteful reviewersÖ just remember no oneís singing for you.

Iím asking openly and humbly that if anyone would like to come to a Gaslight Anthem show, please come because you want to see what weíre doing on that night. Donít come to see Bruce, he wonít be there. Donít come to hear a cover, it probably wonít happen. Donít come to yell at me when Iím trying to share something with the audience to reach out to them about something I feel is moving me. For some reason Iím the one with microphone, which may be a mistake entirely. But if you want one and have something to say, please start a band, get in the van, sleep on floors, and work your butt off and maybe one day Iíll find your band and Iíll come see you play.

But I swear I will not yell at you or call out for you to play one of your influences songsÖ because Iíll be there to see you.

Brian Fallon
Sounds like something went down at that show. Gotta respect this guy though, he keeps it real.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #942
blake1221
‭‭

I'm still going to tirelessly yell for '59 Sound songs if I ever see them.

Because yes.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #943
Amuro Jay
goddess

I think what happened was that people kept shouting for them to play Bruce covers despite Brian repeatedly asking them not to ask for Bruce covers, and they kept booing if they tried to play any other cover, and this sort of thing's been going on for a real long time.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #944
blake1221
‭‭

Kind of funny though, it's a thirty three year old dude making somewhat passive aggressive tumblr posts.

Like I get it, but it's funny with a different scope.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #945
Minkaro
Never Forget ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro

Yay!

Forgot this was a thing, finally got it.

Oh my god I love it so much.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter
Minkaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #946
Amuro Jay
goddess

i completely forgot to order the lp

my cousin downloaded it from itunes though, so i got a heavy dosage of it when he visited. good stuff.

also, we're not getting a brian fallon solo record anymore

the band have just decided to adapt brian's solo record material as the next gaslight lp because they're still trying to shake the whole "riding on bruce's coattails" thing

Last edited by Amuro Jay : 01-03-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #947
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

There's also this

i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #948
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*

Picked up Handwritten on sexy blue vinyl yesterday, pretty much stole it for $20. I saw 59 Sound before I left for Christmas and was hoping I could gab that too but it was gone when I got back
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #949
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #950
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*

Those were awesome, first track was gold. Is anyone else involved or just a solo thing?

Last edited by bifteksupernova : 01-09-2014 at 12:33 PM.
bifteksupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #951
Amuro Jay
goddess

nobody else from TGA is involved. it's a new band.

and totally awesome, at that. I love the songs I've heard so far.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #952
Amuro Jay
goddess

New songs, etc.

Anyone going to see them in Chicago in October? Just got my tickets today.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #953
SMH07
Haters, dismissed.

They're coming back to the UK in November. Might try and get to one of the shows.

The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
SMH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #954
bifteksupernova
*thhbbbt*

Get Hurt has some Horrible Crowes vibes that I really dig. Rollin and tumblin sounds like a throwback to the old, old Gaslight and I love that too.

Molly and the Zombies released some new tracks too that I haven't heard yet, can't wait for that to be released either
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #955
Minkaro
Never Forget ;_;

I'm going to see them in Birmingham in November .

I like Rollin and Tumblin, but wasn't too keen on Get Hurt at first listen. Might grow on me though.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter
Minkaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #956
HeavyMetalMan28
Human Disaster

So, I've heard the entire deluxe edition of Get Hurt, and all I can really say about it is that it's pretty good? My love for this band kind of died out a few years ago, but I can't deny that the new album has some great songs on it, as well as some that are not so good. I love Dark Places.

Last edited by HeavyMetalMan28 : 08-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.
HeavyMetalMan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #957
SMH07
Haters, dismissed.

I really like what I've heard of Get Hurt so far. I quite liked Rollin and Tumblin, Get Hurt and Stay Vicious but I didn't feel as though I liked them as much as the pre released songs from Handwritten, as much as they are good songs. The rest of the album sounds great so far though.

The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
SMH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #958
I.O.T.M
Welcome to Jackass.

Just ordered the new album on vinyl. Listening to the mp3 version of the album now and I'm enjoying it.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #959
HeavyMetalMan28
Human Disaster

Been listening to the album all week, and it's grown on me quite a lot. I like it more than Handwritten, and maybe even American Slang? I haven't listened to that album all the way through in a long time, so it's hard to say. But pretty much the only song on Get Hurt that I straight up dislike at this point is probably "Red Violins".
HeavyMetalMan28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: