Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #1761
Iwalkalone11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
as others have said it's hard to hear yourself over the backing track at times. Looks like you're on the right track though. I would agree with Jlowe22 about stop working on building speed and work with the speed you have. Your faster playing is very sloppy and it throws your timing off considerably. I think you're doing well, but should slow things down for now

here's without any backing track
thanks a lot for checking it out! Yes ill slow down now haha
Iwalkalone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #1762
Iwalkalone11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
agree. it's tough to hear over the backing track at times. do the vid without the cbacking track and that will be a way bigger tell.

here's without the backing track
Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #1763
Iwalkalone11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_devils
I know for a fact that you can play well from the last video you posted here, but I'd have to agree with the others about the backing track over shadowing your guitar playing. I couldn't really pick anything out, but it does sound like your guitar is out of tune. That's the only constructive criticism I have to offer honestly.

hey thanks a lot bro
here's a video i did without the backing track ()
Youre probably right, i didnt use a tuner :P
Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #1764
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

There are three (or four, depending on how you approach it) problems with your playing that I spotted mainly:

1 - Your bends and vibrato are weak. These are related and usually come from the same problem: you're not listening to your own playing carefully enough. Your bends aren't quite in tune and your vibrato is pretty weak overall so spend some time listening to yourself play and pay attention to these things.

2 - You're generally lacking some clarity; there's quite a few dead notes in there when you're picking things at all quickly. Legato tends to be better but you're generally lacking a little synchronisation between your hands.

3 - Your sweeping is uneven, rhythmically. The top notes in particular are much longer than the rest of what you're doing and it's really evident on the repeated sweeping idea you played in that video. You need to make sure that every note is even on those kinds of ideas and that you can really control it, because right now it's obvious that your actual sweeping is much faster than you can really play.

Edit: You only need to post your video once.

Album.
Legion.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 05-15-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #1765
Iwalkalone11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There are three (or four, depending on how you approach it) problems with your playing that I spotted mainly:

1 - Your bends and vibrato are weak. These are related and usually come from the same problem: you're not listening to your own playing carefully enough. Your bends aren't quite in tune and your vibrato is pretty weak overall so spend some time listening to yourself play and pay attention to these things.

2 - You're generally lacking some clarity; there's quite a few dead notes in there when you're picking things at all quickly. Legato tends to be better but you're generally lacking a little synchronisation between your hands.

3 - Your sweeping is uneven, rhythmically. The top notes in particular are much longer than the rest of what you're doing and it's really evident on the repeated sweeping idea you played in that video. You need to make sure that every note is even on those kinds of ideas and that you can really control it, because right now it's obvious that your actual sweeping is much faster than you can really play.

Edit: You only need to post your video once.

sorry about that man! :\ thanks a lot for the critique. I will definately work on vibrato and sweeps and and start being less sloppy and more thanks thanks man! ^^
Old 05-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #1766
Shallon Dark

This is just a little clip of me doing one measure of an arrangement of flight of the bumblee, I'm trying to break the 100bpm threshold, I'm not used to playing at this speed, and I've been doing the practice slow and build up thing, but I wan't to see what you guys notice that needs to be corrected to help me speed up. I start around 80ish, and after a few loops increase by 3bpm(it took me a few minutes to bring up the metronome the first time), I then go up by 3pm every couple of loops to try and show where it is breaking down as I speed up from this point. I'm just not used to this style, and I don't really know what I am looking for...

Thanks

Youtube video of playing
Shallon Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #1767
40xxx04

Been playing for 10 months and since last week I have been practising 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin and below are the links to the rhythm and solo sections of the song played at 75% the original speed. Kindly give your feedback.
Cheers!
https://soundcloud.com/sundaresan-n...otta-love-solo1
https://soundcloud.com/sundaresan-n...ta-love-rhythm1
40xxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #1768
Nacho Cheese!
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallon Dark
This is just a little clip of me doing one measure of an arrangement of flight of the bumblee, I'm trying to break the 100bpm threshold, I'm not used to playing at this speed, and I've been doing the practice slow and build up thing, but I wan't to see what you guys notice that needs to be corrected to help me speed up. I start around 80ish, and after a few loops increase by 3bpm(it took me a few minutes to bring up the metronome the first time), I then go up by 3pm every couple of loops to try and show where it is breaking down as I speed up from this point. I'm just not used to this style, and I don't really know what I am looking for...

Thanks

Youtube video of playing

Well, in terms of increasing speed you basically just have to continue practicing and the speed will come with time. In terms of your mechanics, you should try to keep you left-hand fingers closer to the fret-board. Most notably your fourth finger could be closer to the strings. It can be difficult to get used to, it takes time and finger strength/independence to execute. Your right hand technique seems fine to me but I didn't look too closely.

Another consideration is to change how you are playing that part. You are currently playing it like this:

Code:
e|--12-11-10-9-10-9-8-7-8-7-6-5---------| B|------------------------------9-8-7-6-| G|--------------------------------------|

And two different ways to play it:
Code:
A: e|--12-11-10-9-10-9-------------------------------| B|------------------13-12-13-12-11-10-------------| G|------------------------------------13-12-11-10-| B: e|--12-11-10-9-10-9-8-7-8-7-----------------| B|--------------------------11-10-9-8-------| G|------------------------------------11-10-|

Fingerings for A: 4-3-2-1-2-1-4-3-4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1
for B: 4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1-2-1-4-3-2-1-4-3 (or 3-2 for last two notes)

Depending on what comes after this measure (assuming this is 4/4 all 16th notes) can dictate which way of playing will be better suited for the task. If this measure is repeated once then moves to something else you may want to use one of these alternatives for the first time and use the original for the second time. Again, all this depends on the rest of the piece and how well the transition works. You have to ask if this leads into the next section well or if the next section can be moved to different strings to complete a nice transition.

In essence what I'm saying it, sometimes changing the way you play the music can give you a more desirable fingering or an easier transition from one note to the next.

Back on the topic of increasing speed. Shawn Lane had the ability to play fast and many know him for his ability to play fast. This is a video where he talks about speed and perhaps it could help you. I know it helped me when I was still playing electric guitar often. The part I'm mostly talking about is the jump in speed. You continue with this slow process of increasing the BPM but occasionally just take a larger jump. You move to a tempo that is a little too fast for you and then you work on cleaning up that tempo. I hope some of this is of use.
Nacho Cheese! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #1769
Williamerchal
Banned

It was great i can accept your ideas thanks
Williamerchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #1770
harleytju

I can't manage to get Pinch Harmonics down.
Tutorial Videos I've watched came down to two things:
-Pluck your string around the neck pick-up
-Hit the string slightly with your thumb as you hit it with your pick.

Am I doing something wrong?
harleytju is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: