Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Vendetta V
The Creep

Exclamation Tell me about music distribution!

Hey guys, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for and what I should avoid when it comes to music distribution companies such as CDbaby or say Ditto music (the latter seems to have a free deal to upload a album to iTunes which is what Im really interested in).

I dont know what I'm really looking at so you guys start telling/asking and i'll answer any question

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
blake1221
‭‭

Stop charging fifteen dollars for your music.

And there's a torrent site that will promote your music and offer it for download, I'll just have to get the name from my drummer.

What are you trying to do distribution-wise? Do you play shows?
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Stop charging fifteen dollars for your music.

He can charge whatever the hell he wants for his music. He's not griping, "Man, nobody is buying my music." He's asking about distribution and access to those channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
And there's a torrent site that will promote your music and offer it for download, I'll just have to get the name from my drummer.

If he is selling his music, the last thing he wants is for it to be "promoted" through a torrent site.

Trolling.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
He can charge whatever the hell he wants for his music. He's not griping, "Man, nobody is buying my music." He's asking about distribution and access to those channels.

If he is selling his music, the last thing he wants is for it to be "promoted" through a torrent site.

Trolling.

CT

I think what he was getting at was that distributing his music for free through the site that slipped his mind would be more successful than charging money for an album without a strong fanbase.

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
BloodReverence

No what he meant was that it allows him to upload his album to iTunes for people to buy without it costing HIM anything.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
No what he meant was that it allows him to upload his album to iTunes for people to buy without it costing HIM anything.

iTunes wasn't mentioned...he did stay "stop charging" and "torrent" though. Which means free.

Anyway, getting tunes onto iTunes or selling music through things like bandcamp is free, of course you lose a percentage of your earnings, but there's nowhere that will sell your music without taking a cut of the earnings. Even if you sell your music yourself, you'll end up losing out on CD/packaging costs or somthing, so there's no way to do it without some cost.

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Slashiepie
Banged

Tunecore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
thomasirrason

Old post but still a relevant issue I think (and a lot has changed over the past few years in this area). From what i've seen, Tunecore have been outed for being scammers (just search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...chrome&ie=UTF-8 ).

CD Baby, Ditto & AWAL are all okay-ish I think. I've heard some good points, some bad. I've only tried Ditto, EmuBands and Tunecore before and had a mixture of good and bad experiences (except with EmuBands, who are good). EmuBands are good if you sell a lot or don't want to be tied down to anything as their pricing is a one-off flat fee (none of this X% of sales crap). However, because of that they're not the cheapest way to distribute music upfront (24.95 according to http://www.emubands.com/prices/ )

Be keen to learn more about AWAL and the more 'nichey' distributors. Anyone had any experience with them or Ingrooves, EPM etc?
thomasirrason is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: