Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Chronic-Headach

Another buying a bass question

As I have said in earlier topics, I'm currently looking for a 5 string bass. I play mostly metal of all genres on guitar, but want to learn how to play slap, jazz and bluesy stuff too in bass. I have been looking at the ibanez 605, 805, and ESP's in general. The whole neck width, thick vs. thin debate has got me confused as to which would be best for me (I'm a scrawny 6'4" with long fingers)

And no, sadly I have no way to try out a bss before I buy, it's just not possible unless I travel a few hours out of town.

Can anyone help educate me and give me some other basses to check out, as well as let me know the quality of the 2 ibanez guitars I mentioned above?
Chronic-Headach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Alucard817

I'm not big on Ibanez stuff. I gave up on them long ago. You can check out the obligatory Fender, Squier, Music Man or G&L.

As far as what width is right for you, only you can answer that. Taking that trip will tell you far more about what you need to know than we ever could on the subject.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Spanner93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic-Headach
As I have said in earlier topics, I'm currently looking for a 5 string bass. I play mostly metal of all genres on guitar, but want to learn how to play slap, jazz and bluesy stuff too in bass. I have been looking at the ibanez 605, 805, and ESP's in general. The whole neck width, thick vs. thin debate has got me confused as to which would be best for me (I'm a scrawny 6'4" with long fingers)

And no, sadly I have no way to try out a bass before I buy, it's just not possible unless I travel a few hours out of town.

Can anyone help educate me and give me some other basses to check out, as well as let me know the quality of the 2 ibanez guitars I mentioned above?

Any Ibanez in the SR series above a SR305 is pretty much worth it's weight in gold. I'm 6'2'' and played a 505 regularly until I bought my Hagstrom. As for the ESP's, I haven't played one recently, so I'm a little hazy, but from what I can remember it wasn't bad.

Ibanez do tend to be rather standardized though, so there isn't much between a 605 neck and an 805. And the quality is always impeccable,

Please remember however, that I am an Ibby fanboy and have a complete disregard for most fenders.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: