Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Raining Kasch

Telecasters VS Flying V's

I am SO torn here. I'm in the market for a new guitar. And its definitely either going to be a Tele or a Flying V.
I've tried Telecasters and the higher end ones rule. They stay in tune no matter what tuning I throw at them, the tone seems great (wasn't all that impressed, but it had a nice crunch to it), and it was in my price range.
I've never played a real Flying V before (a working one, anyway), but it's been my farthest reaching dream guitar since I was in the 8th grade.
Functionality VS Awesome Fantasy guitar.
Thoughts on which is better?
Raining Kasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
HammerParty

Do you like sitting up or standing up to play? The former would be a tele, the latter a V. Also models differ from each other. WIthout exact models, it's hard to tell you which is better.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
gerraguitar

I don't really think you can say one is better than the other. They are completely different and one person will prefer one over the other regardless. I used to own a Randy Rhoads V and looking back it wasn't all that great based on how freaking awkward they are. I've never played a Gibson V so I'm sure they're different...but a solid tele will last you awhile. What styles do you play? Which guitar will fit better with the music you're doing? Are you in a band? (I HATE using appearance as a justified example) But does a V "fit" your band's appearance? These are just things that I would consider in your situation.
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

Why choose?
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
I don't really think you can say one is better than the other. They are completely different and one person will prefer one over the other regardless.

+1 it just depends on what you need and prefer more.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
KailM

Those are two completely different designs providing very different tones. (Unless you go out of your way to drastically alter the inherent tone of each).

Tell us what genre of music you play and/or some bands you'd want to sound like and we might be able to help you further.

Personally, I find Vs to be the MOST comfortable design whether standing or sitting. You just can't play them in the "normal" sitting position with the neck parallel to the ground. You have to balance the V on your right leg and angle the neck up into classical position and they're money.

Most Vs tend to be equipped (and I'll take this moment to inform you that Gibson and Epiphone Flying Vs are not the only brands worth considering -- I like my Schecter better than either a Gibson or Epiphone) with humbuckers, are constructed of mahogany, and generally ere more to the tonal side of a Les Paul rather than a Strat or Tele (generally speaking). Teles and Strats tend to have a thinner but clearer sound, and can generate that "twang" (especially Teles) in country and rockabilly music.

So if you play rock, especially heavy rock or metal, I'd go with a V, just because most of them will already be setup for that range of tones.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 03-31-2013 at 08:52 AM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Kasch
I am SO torn here. I'm in the market for a new guitar. And its definitely either going to be a Tele or a Flying V.
I've tried Telecasters and the higher end ones rule. They stay in tune no matter what tuning I throw at them, the tone seems great (wasn't all that impressed, but it had a nice crunch to it), and it was in my price range.
I've never played a real Flying V before (a working one, anyway), but it's been my farthest reaching dream guitar since I was in the 8th grade.
Functionality VS Awesome Fantasy guitar.
Thoughts on which is better?

try a V and see if you like how it sounds?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: