Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
18WCleanBoost

Unwanted string noise (not a palm muting issue)

Hi UG'ers

I play two main guitars - a MIM S-S-S strat and a PRS SE Singlecut....through an 18W all-tube which is voiced like a Marshall, with a Truetone Clean Boost

Last night at a gig I realised that I was facing huge string noise issues on the PRS ...I couldn't even slide my fingers up and down the fretboard on powerchords without making a huge scratching noise....this was not a problem at all on the strat....unfortunately I haven't paid too much attention to my brand of strings, but I'm using 10's on both and I'm fairly certain I had both the guitars restrung a couple of months back at the same time and with pretty much identical strings

I'm wondering if the problem is the hum bucker v/s the single coil, and perhaps I never noticed before because this was the first time I had a chance to really crank up this particular amp??? The problem is unlikely to be my technique as I have pretty good right hand muting, and, like I said, I didn't have any issues on the strat

Any suggestions?

Thanks
18WCleanBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Most likely the regular noise you get from sliding up and down the wound strings. You probably just didnt notice it before because you weren't cranking everything as much; the PRS, having humbuckers and thus higher output, compounds this.

Just don't apply as much pressure when moving around the neck. Back the pickups further from the strings and turn your gain and treble down. Try a different brand of string. Try a different type of string. There's nothing that can be 'wrong' with the guitar that would cause this; just a particular combination of set up, rig and playing style. To fix it you just gotta not play so hard, basically.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
18WCleanBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Most likely the regular noise you get from sliding up and down the wound strings. You probably just didnt notice it before because you weren't cranking everything as much; the PRS, having humbuckers and thus higher output, compounds this.

Just don't apply as much pressure when moving around the neck. Back the pickups further from the strings and turn your gain and treble down. Try a different brand of string. Try a different type of string. There's nothing that can be 'wrong' with the guitar that would cause this; just a particular combination of set up, rig and playing style. To fix it you just gotta not play so hard, basically.

Thanks!
18WCleanBoost is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: