Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1021
buckmazter
Grimoire

The best way to practice is without any type of effects. No Reverb, No Distortion, No Delay. Just a simple Direct Guitar is the best. If you can play a clean guitar song (like Nothing Else Matters - Metallica) you would sound beyond amazing with effects. That was my first song I learned growing up when I was 12. I had a 10 watt amp with a 6 string electric Washburn. No effects on the amp at all. I had to turn the bass up and mids down with treble high to make distortion. When I learned it doing it this way, it sounded amazing because I learned the technique that Metallica incorporated when they recorded it. My Reverb was my basement Cement Cynder blocks. When I bought my 100 watt Johnson Amp with effects, it turned my guitar into Metallica exactly. That is my professional opinion on practicing. If you guys are going to learn something with distortion, I would recommend using a light distortion just enough for Pinch Harmonics to be heard, chords to sound heavy enough, strings to be sustained. Otherwise don't use distortion if you don't need it (from a learning perspective).
buckmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #1022
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Maybe I should try this... Sounds interesting. I'm struggling a bit with the fastest parts of "Black Betty" by Ram Jam. I mean, I can play them but not perfectly accurately, it kind of sounds sloppy. It's not the most difficult song but it's fun to play. Now I can play it 100% accurately at 95bpm (the original tempo is 120bpm). Let's see what happens and if I have the time and patience to play the same parts every day slowly. I was thinking, maybe 30 minutes would be a good amount of time to practice it every day.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #1023
wiggedy

I tried the 21 day challenge with the solo from La Grange, about a year ago. With not a lot of success.

I just went back and relearned the whole thing with one major difference. I tap my foot on the 2nd and 4th beat. It was difficult to begin with, and it's still a work in progress with some of the phrasing but.... Who would have thought such a simple thing would make a big difference to my speed and accuracy.

The 21 day challenge is good, but only if you have every aspect of your playing covered. Otherwise you are just learning bad habits.. slowly. (I am sure not the first to say it, but the penny finally dropped for me)
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #1024
Miguelfromspain
Banned

The best:
www.flamencoguitarstore.com

HANDMADE GUITARS.
Miguelfromspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 AM   #1025
santoshvenkat

When you say you play XYZ song... for eg... how do you actually learn that song? From the tabs provided on the Internet or by ear?? I mean... say for learning smoke-on-the-water solo.... do you look up the tabs or do you actually hear each and every note and try to locate what is actually being played in the original song??
santoshvenkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #1026
BrianGeorgeMusi

This sounds very interesting. I have been looking for something to help me practice more effectively and this might just do the trick!

Thanks
BrianGeorgeMusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #1027
batfink84

that's why i love guitar pro , i always play at a tempo for way too long, time flys by, you go into the zone and the day is over. Like any sport you need a personal trainer to go the next level.
batfink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #1028
gothic.veldrome

great. thanks for sharing
http://jaringanreview.blogspot.com/2014/02/alfamartku.com.html
gothic.veldrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #1029
457undead
UG Fanatic

What song should I do?
457undead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #1030
CyberCrypt

wowsounds good ill start today.. Now to find a song... XD
CyberCrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #1031
thricemine

Hello hullo! Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I read the beginning and the end of this stickied thread and the lightbulb totally turned on for me.

Because when learning songs I want to learn the whole song right away, then increase the speed, then practice any problem spots (like a firefighter dousing smoldering embers after a forest fire). But even after I'm able to play the song at full speed I always make lots of mistakes. It's frustrating for me and the band members I rehearse with.

I started trying this method with a song I'd attempted before--Galneryus' Silent Revelation:

The video is filled with old-school, cheesy awesomeness. Instead of worrying about BPM I've been playing the rhythm guitar part for 10 days at 63 percent of normal tempo, using the guidelines explained here.

What a difference. I'm about two-thirds of the way through this song, and the slow speed is forcing me to think hard about the transitions and the various techniques--sweep picking, harmonics, etc. Even at this stage I can play long sections of the song perfectly, without thinking and no mental glitches.

I'm trying this idea with other guitar solos, and instead of always worrying, "Am I on tempo? What about this section here? Am I truly with the band?" I'm finally relaxing and playing the phases with a lot more feeling. It's like a miracle!

I'll let you know what happens in another 10 days, but THANK YOU, early posters, for explaining this principle. Now I truly understand why people say, "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." :P
thricemine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: