Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
 
kyle62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
For me the fact that Axe's endorsers record with real amp in the studio is enough to call BS. For example - Megadeth are one of the endorsers and they used Marshall tube pretty much throughout their last two records.

Rubbish. Digital modellers aren't about going better than tube amps...they're about replicating the magic in a convenient, flexible low-maintenance package.

The whole point of high-budget recording is you don't compromise, if you're at the level those guys are you might as well bring in the killer amps that the Kemper/Axe etc emulate.

Digital modelling is a godsend for home guys and mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone without a 200,000 collection of guitar gear (or relying on the bands to all have amazing rigs).
__________________
"I don't care about the things I leave at home, cause things can't really keep you company when you're alone"
Mark Sandman


Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 07-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
POD HD's amp simulation is perfectly decent, but the cabs let it down a little. That's always been the way with Line6 gear to be honest. I used to get killer tones running a Vetta into LeCab.

+1 to this. I really liked the POD HD, but they definitely suffer from poor impulse responses. I've owned 2 Vettas as well, they sound a LOT better through a nice cab, with the cab model bypassed, or with the Armin mod on the combos.

Really, the only reason I'd buy an Eleven is because you're basically getting it for free with Pro Tools. Avid has all but abandoned that modeler, it hasn't had firmware updates since 2011. I wouldn't buy one separately unless it was like $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
For me the fact that Axe's endorsers record with real amp in the studio is enough to call BS. For example - Megadeth are one of the endorsers and they used Marshall tube pretty much throughout their last two records.

Most of the big named endorsers only use them for effects, not amp simulation. Really, the only bands that use them for amp tones are "djent" bands.

Even if they were using them for amp modeling, they're using them as a convenience factor to not have to have 3 different amps on stage, with a whole rack of processors and a pedalboard, and bring all that gear in their tour bus/plane. The thing that's great about modelers is you also don't have to rely on the FOH engineer to get a great mic placement on your cab and EQ everything correctly. You can run one cable out of the Axe-FX into the board and have the same exact tone coming out of the PA every single night.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
diabolical
Registered User
 
diabolical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
@Kyle - you say "mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone" while at the same time you describe the top tier tone as not being the Axe-FX but rather the real deal, so kinda going self contradictory there.

Not that I don't use modelers - I do, and actually have some all analog modelers that are a lot better sounding than the Axe-Fx but just fallen out of favor with the market at this current time due to the fact that they're not pumping $$$$ at NAMM every year. Love how all the djent kids think all they need is an Axe-Fx and they'd sound like their idols.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Trading an MG + $100 for a Spider is like trading dogshit for catshit and paying for the privilege.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
 
kyle62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
@Kyle - you say "mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone" while at the same time you describe the top tier tone as not being the Axe-FX but rather the real deal, so kinda going self contradictory there.

Top-tier as in 'easily good enough for a major label release' (which the Axe etc can certainly deliver). Anything above that is a nice but unnecessary luxury....like they say, the last 10% of quality is 90% of the cost
__________________
"I don't care about the things I leave at home, cause things can't really keep you company when you're alone"
Mark Sandman


Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
 
bassmastamitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Uhmuricuh
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolical
For me the fact that Axe's endorsers record with real amp in the studio is enough to call BS. For example - Megadeth are one of the endorsers and they used Marshall tube pretty much throughout their last two records.

Just because they endorse it doesn't mean they're exclusive to it. The Axe-FX is a live tool that works well in the studio, even though it's sort of built an end-all-be-all God complex from the way people praise it.

Maybe Megadeth should've used the Axe-FX on the last two records if it would've made them any better
__________________
Call me Mitch
YouTube
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
Kenova
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
WHY NOT BUY A GOOD SINGLE AMP !


I have a good amp, can't mic up a good amp in a 2 bedroom apartment unless you want to piss off all your neighbors.
__________________
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Kenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #27
T4D
20 guitars and counting..
 
T4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aussie in the UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenova
I have a good amp, can't mic up a good amp in a 2 bedroom apartment unless you want to piss off all your neighbors.



LOL OK makes scent I know how you feel dude

if your after one tone maybe check the amp sims most have free demo's etc
( but be warned ) it's alot of work to fine good tone mainly out there's
So many plugins out there
So many workflow and features options,
So many opinion on what is good and what is bad,
Once you dive into amp sim's on the computer it's a education and long search to find and be happy with your tone. ( that's my view anyway I own most of the amp sim out there ) and I'm back to recording and re amping everything using my eleven.


if you have the money Get Axe FX "I hear" it is the best ( I would search out a music store to test it out first before Put out that much $$ tho)

Eleven for me is super value in the quality of sound compared to Line 6 gear there's a noticeable different in sound But also how it feels.
__________________
Newest Tune
Last Album Album here too
I'm a 3D Artist still making tunes Joy4D Video Joy4D Site

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.