User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #301
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicuh
I just got a Celestron Astromaster 114 EQ today. I'm so excited to see the moon and some of the closer planets.

and honestly, how does the hubble get images of all these galaxies but not a decent picture of pluto?

There's two main problems with imaging closer objects. Firstly, a lot of objects in our own galaxy lie along the plane of the Milky Way, so there's a lot of crap that's in the way that distorts or obscures the images. Secondly, many of the distant objects are actually quite large, but the problem is that they're so faint that we can't see them with the naked eye. The Andromeda galaxy is actually about twice the side of the moon on the sky, but it's just so distant that it's too faint to see.. A long exposure camera like Hubble can image it quite well, despite its distance.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #302
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Good bump Stewie

That pic of the Pillars of Creation in IR is glorious. I'm glad that some of the nebula is thick/dark enough to not be entirely invisible in the infrared, really creates a work of art against the enhanced starscape backdrop.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #303
mind_meld
Tortured Genius

Here's something I was reading about a few months ago but it still blows my mind. Gotta share it with people who will most likely appreciate it

Im an freakin' jeanius
mind_meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 AM   #304
ron666

I came across a recent article that really made me think. According to the author, there is something called "Dark Matter," which can't be reconciled. It is missing. But according to this work, this missing stuff is because the universe is part of something bigger.

If you think about it, everything though a microscope looks like "little universes," so why can't the same thing work the other way around? We are part of something bigger. Our universe makes up matter that is bigger than us.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #305
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron666
I came across a recent article that really made me think. According to the author, there is something called "Dark Matter," which can't be reconciled. It is missing. But according to this work, this missing stuff is because the universe is part of something bigger.

If you think about it, everything though a microscope looks like "little universes," so why can't the same thing work the other way around? We are part of something bigger. Our universe makes up matter that is bigger than us.

ron666

Dark matter is "missing" because it doesn't interact with light, not because it's some crazy metaphysical magic. Let's keep it scientific and not have the "what if the universe is just an atom" discussion.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #306
mind_meld
Tortured Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron666
there is something called "Dark Matter," which can't be reconciled. It is missing.

Missing? I don't think so. It is the name scientists have given the matter that must be there but we do not currently have the means to research it. Same with dark energy. It's there all right, but we don't yet understand the nature of it.

It's really interesting stuff.

Im an freakin' jeanius
mind_meld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #307
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

To echo the two above me, dark matter isn't really that mysterious or new-agey; it's able to be studied by the manner in which it gravitationally reacts (such as via gravitational lensing in imagery) with light and other matter. It is, however, invisible against the blackness of the void behind it and is therefore impossible (currently, as far as I know) to directly observe.

'Dark energy' is a bit different tho -- alleged to be the explanation for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

On a different note, did you guys know that in addition to all the other ways in which NASA is awesome, they also give away a ton of their history publications (which are professional quality) for free, as long as you pay for shipping?

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/ic/ic2.htm#pubs

I ordered 7 from there today

Rockets and People (all 4 volumes)
On the Shoulders of Titans
This New Ocean (this will be second 'space' history book titled This New Ocean)
Challenge to Apollo
Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #308
Rossenrot
of Prison and Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
On a different note, did you guys know that in addition to all the other ways in which NASA is awesome, they also give away a ton of their history publications (which are professional quality) for free, as long as you pay for shipping?

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/ic/ic2.htm#pubs

I ordered 7 from there today

That is some dope shit

favorite song atm v.5
Rossenrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #309
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossenrot
That is some dope shit

Indeed