Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Zepplinfreak

Question Looking for Backing Track

Hey Everyone!
Sorry if I had posted this in the wrong section, obvious first post here.

Me and a friend (Bass guitar player) Are going to be playing "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin for the school christmas concert. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a backing track that has only drums, vocals and theremin?

Thanks for the help!
Zepplinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
mrkeka
Lost in Translation

Wouldn't it be easier to play something that you guys can manage just on guitar and bass, or maybe guitar, bass and sing?
mrkeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Zepplinfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeka
Wouldn't it be easier to play something that you guys can manage just on guitar and bass, or maybe guitar, bass and sing?

We were thinking of Kashmir, if this falls through.

Thing is, we have a tiny school. Like about 40 people. That and neither of us can sing, so my best option at this point is a backing track!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepplinfreak
We were thinking of Kashmir, if this falls through.

Thing is, we have a tiny school. Like about 40 people. That and neither of us can sing, so my best option at this point is a backing track!
I just feel like using vocals in a backing track would be pretty lame. At that point it's like you're playing along with Led Zeppelin, instead of actually playing the song just with a little help from a backing track.

I just think the idea of the melody being prerecorded defeats the whole purpose of a live performance.

How about you take a song (or a medley) and write an arrangement where the bass player can cover the harmony and you can play the melody on guitar? You could still play the chords when the melody is resting (look up some jazz piano or guitar players for some inspiration there) so that it doesn't feel too empty. I feel like this would be a lot more genuine and people are more likely to be impressed if you have an original take on the song rather than just hearing the recorded song with you guys playing the guitar parts.

Kashmir could make a really fantastic instrumental if you put in the time to write an interesting arrangement.

Last edited by food1010 : 12-06-2012 at 11:22 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Zepplinfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
I just feel like using vocals in a backing track would be pretty lame. At that point it's like you're playing along with Led Zeppelin, instead of actually playing the song just with a little help from a backing track.

I just think the idea of the melody being prerecorded defeats the whole purpose of a live performance.

How about you take a song (or a medley) and write an arrangement where the bass player can cover the harmony and you can play the melody on guitar? You could still play the chords when the melody is resting (look up some jazz piano or guitar players for some inspiration there) so that it doesn't feel too empty. I feel like this would be a lot more genuine and people are more likely to be impressed if you have an original take on the song rather than just hearing the recorded song with you guys playing the guitar parts.

Kashmir could make a really fantastic instrumental if you put in the time to write an interesting arrangement.

Thanks man, I think we will go for that. Thing is my friend has been only playing bass for a couple months and is not so great as of yet, but no doubt we can do Kashmir with a little tweaking. I apprecaite the advice, dude

Rate This Thread: