Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
rorymacpherson

Need further help!

I posted a thread a while back asking for some help with finding a new guitar and amp, I eventually decided that I'd like a good tele copy but when I went to my local guitar shop none of them seized my attention. I can't exactly explain why, I just found that they couldn't quite get hard enough.

Budget? £1000 for a good amp and guitar, I didn't check any amps in the store that grabbed me either.

Favorite Artists? Jeff Buckley, Steve Vai, Aynsley Lister. Buckley would be the main inspiration for my playing however.

Preferences? I like fenders I suppose. I like the sound that other people can get out of tele's but at the moment I can't get anything good out of them.

Pickups? No preference.

New or Used? Either is more than ok, used would be better in some ways if I could get a good deal. New would be better if there is nothing particularly brilliant available, it would also probably be easier to try first.

Location? Cheltenham/ Birmingham, depends on whether at uni or home.

Current Gear? I have an Ibanez Gio (worth about £120 8 years ago, before I started playing) and a Laney HCM30R.
rorymacpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
mark66saints

When you say "hard", do you mean you want more output from the pickups?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
mark66saints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
rorymacpherson

I just felt like it wasn't able to deal with high(ish) gain very well, and I'd like to be able to play a pretty wide variety of music. What would be a good option for that.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

so you had trouble getting hard enough?

sorry, couldn't resist.

i assume you mean not enough output. do you like the look of teles? or is it the sound you want? you can always get hotter pickups, but you'll also sorta lose the sound of the tele. you could try using a boost pedal, but that won't totally solve the problems (though it'll help, and might be a really good compromise if you need vintage-style tele tones as well).

what amps did you try the tele with?

i'm guessing splitting the money 50:50 is the way to go. There are a bunch of good deals on tube amps at the moment at around the £500 mark, and £500 is enough to get an MIJ tokai tele copy (which are awesome- very low output pickups, though ) or even an MIM reissue or a fret king or something like that.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymacpherson
I just felt like it wasn't able to deal with high(ish) gain very well, and I'd like to be able to play a pretty wide variety of music. What would be a good option for that.

A new amp. That'd be the best option for that.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

to a certain extent. i have pretty high-gain capable amps, and i still prefer playing high gain with guitars which are aimed at those type of tones.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
rorymacpherson

So if I'm to go for a new amp which sort of amp would be good (one which, as I say, would give me a wide range of sounds)?
The tele situation is an odd one, I've always liked the look of them and before I went to the shop I'd liked the sound of them as well but having gone I wasn't impressed with the sound, I spent about 2 hours testing about 5 teles on different amps. None of them were great.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i would probably get something all-tube unless you have to play at whisper volume all the time. which tones are more important- the higher gain vai-type ones or lower gain like buckley and lister? (you've already answered that, but still it doesn't hurt to be sure )

what amps did the shop have? which amps did you try?

I would say next step is to go to the shop and try some tube amps with some teles, and also with some other more high gain-capable guitars, and also try those amps with a boost up front (e.g. a tubescreamer) with gain/drive on 0, volume on max and tone to taste (probably 2 o'clock). Make sure the amp is already well overdriven or those settings will provide a massive volume boost that'll take your head off Into an overdriven amp it'll be more of a distortion boost.

the main thing is to see if you can persuade teles to do the tones you want with a boost.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
rorymacpherson

I'll give that a go.
I can't recall all of the particular models but they had a Marshall (DSL?), Peaveys, a couple of Fenders (which left me thoroughly unimpressed) and a Laney, the Laney was the one I liked the most because I felt it had a good balance (don't get me wrong, I could make the tele distorted no problem but the amps that could do that were normally awful clean which is where I play most of the time.)
Having just typed all of that I have realised how little I've actually been researching this, I am sorry, I wasn't honestly expecting everyone to do all the work for me I've just been too busy to look at stuff on the internet when I've been at home.
Finally thing and then I'll actually research some stuff, I played for about 2 hours today and (especially as I'm definitely nothing special) I feel like the guys at the shop must have been praising whichever Gods they worshipped when I left. I bought some strings and a strap so that it wouldn't be a complete waste of their time but is it normal for people to go into a guitar shop and play for that long? I've never had to do this before you see.
Oh and thanks for all your help, Buckley is the main inspiration so getting close enough to him whilst still maintaining a sense of originality is the goal.

Last edited by rorymacpherson : 11-16-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

You might want to see if you can find one of the amp brands favored by metalheads- how might one of those Teles sound like through an Orange, for instance?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^^ no worries, we're interested in this stuff, if you're not, that's no problem.

there are a few basic things, though, that if you can get your head around, will really help you hone in on exactly what you want.

as i said, try those things i suggested. that's the first step.

a traynor ycv50b on thomann might be a good shout- might be hard to find one to try first, though.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
rorymacpherson

Right, I'm going to go to the shop today (a different one), I tried to look at amps for researching purposes over the last couple of days but it turns out that any time I thought about it there was something else that I could do instead (living the uni life, yeah!) so I go to this mostly unarmed except from what you guys have said.
Wish me luck, I will do my best to follow all of your advice and I will let you know later.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

good luck

remember, you don't have to buy anything, and if someone in the shop tells you something you don't know or that sounds fishy, ask us and we'll (hopefully) straighten you out.

Rate This Thread: