User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #781
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalUK
I'm busy trying to work out the route to Uni. I'm 27 now with no real qualifications to my name but plenty of fairly relevant industry experience. Looking to go into engineering. Gotta work out if I need to get A-Levels first or if I can do an access year or a HNC.

All quite confusing.

I could be wrong, but I would think that with the experience you have, at the very least you should be able to get on to a foundation degree in engineering - most universities that offer these will also offer a "top-up" course after successful completion, getting you the full degree.

These path takes 5 years (3 foundation, 2 top up), but might be something worth considering pal.

It's probably worth speaking to the universities you're considering - as an adult learner, I don't think they would really be that focussed on your A-Level qualifications, considering that was a decade ago for you. Having the experience in the field you're considering studying should be more than enough I would have thought

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.

Last edited by metacarpi : 05-14-2015 at 10:44 AM.
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #782
Neo Evil11
Feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
My first year is prerequisites which I am currently taking over the summer, so that's why I think it's gonna be a lot more fun than right now. Also mine is a professional course (though I might do a tiny bit of research here and there) and I'm really looking forward to clinical placements and externships because I love working with people, not studying on my own all day.

but you'll probably be right about my second and third year

It differs per degree. But for my MPhil I got so much horribly difficult homework. Everyone was spending days till 24:00 just to finish it. It was the best program in that field in the country so that explains why probably, but still... it wrecked me.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #783
Cardbored

I don't know what I'm getting myself into. About to finish my first year at Uni and I figured I need to pick a major before it's too late. Decided I might go with biochemistry (even though I'm not 100% on board) since making chemicals or medicine to help people out appeals to me. Except I have a developed hatred for math. Most of the pre-reqs are taken though so I might be taking classes in areas I've already done. I'm taking Calc I for the second time. Wtf am I doing
Cardbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #784
robbo546hall
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
on that borderline too except I'm revising like crazy. hard to BS a 2.5 hour written law exam that counts for 100% of your grade

I know a lot of people that do Law, and I feel that those 100% exams are pretty stupid. It should really all be balanced through January exams and some coursework, which would show the quality of your work throughout instead of pressurising students in one exam. Still, it's hardly at the top of my list of problems with the English uni system.

Good luck anyways, I've only got three 50% exams and I'm stressed enough.

lastfm
robbo546hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #785
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

Just comin to say congrats to anyone graduating or finishing their first year! I'm going into my fifth right now... About to take 15 hours over the summer Thankfully I'm a business major so it should go pretty smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #786
steve_muse
UG Resident

Sat my last exam today, went out got drunk with a few uni peeps, gd times. Been a great 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #787
I.O.T.M
Jackass

I finished my last A-Level exam on Wednesday. I went out with a few course-mates for a few drinks at 'spoons and got sloshed on Old Rosie cider after it. Going back to college was the best decision I have ever made. I've met some great people, I've become genuinely self-confident and I'm now on track for the future I want.

I need Distinction, A, B to get in to Kent and I think I've done well enough in the exams and the coursework to get those grades. Now for the long wait until results day in August. I'm really looking forward to September and finally being able to study English Literature.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #788
steve_muse
UG Resident

Got a 2.1. Kinda disappointed I didnt get a first cos my GPA meant it was up to examiner's discretion to give either 2.1 or first and all my coursework was gr8 but ohwell

Quote:
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #789
I.O.T.M
Jackass

A 2.1 is still really good though.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #790
Banjocal
feck

>tfw on the border between first and 2:1
Here's hoping my results are decent. Not holding my breath though.

Any folks from Nottingham here? Or any artfags?
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #791
steve_muse
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
A 2.1 is still really good though.

Yeah I know, it just feels like I could've done a lot worse and still got a 2.1 but it's cool

Quote:
Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #792
raoooos
senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Got a 2.1. Kinda disappointed I didnt get a first cos my GPA meant it was up to examiner's discretion to give either 2.1 or first and all my coursework was gr8 but ohwell

Can you appeal?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #793
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Bricking it so bad for results in July. I failed a module my first year (doesn't affect my overall gap though ) so I don't think that fear will ever go away, even though all my habits/results since have improved. Still, failing or doing poorly would be such a back breaker
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #794
guitarxo
cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
It differs per degree. But for my MPhil I got so much horribly difficult homework. Everyone was spending days till 24:00 just to finish it. It was the best program in that field in the country so that explains why probably, but still... it wrecked me.

Yeah your experience is probably definitely more common. I just found out that I only have class/clinicals on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the first year and most of the textbooks are the same as what I'm prereading.

However, my undergrad experience was more like your MPhil
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #795
steve_muse
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoooos
Can you appeal?

I could, but I wouldn't wanna get it that way even if I did

anyway I can still do a masters with that so it's w/e

Quote:
Old 06-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #796
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
>tfw on the border between first and 2:1
Here's hoping my results are decent. Not holding my breath though.

Any folks from Nottingham here? Or any artfags?

Yeah I study Civil Engineering at UoN and just finished first year. What are you studying?

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: