Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #4681
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Well i didnt do the recording in one take, so the falsetto slips arent really in there, but you can hear it at 4:41 (the "feeeeeeeeeeeel" part). I guess ill try controling my air supply more. Also, this tends to happen when i open my mouth a lot, and when i do e or i vowels. It helps if i put my mouth into n "O" shape, but that hurts my pronunciation.

As for what i do, i have no idea. Everybody says that false cord can be felt in the throat, but the only vibrations i feel are in the roof of my mouth. It basicly feels like going into falsetto with a lot more air than necesary, and the flow is then directed trough my mouth, and it vibrates my palate (i think thats the word). I also figured out that the heavy sigh thing works for me, i just do it a couple of times after warmup and before i start screaming, and it just makes it was easier to start than to just start screaming right of the bat. I think i picked that up in a fry lesson video somewhere.

Last edited by gorkyporky : 10-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
gorkyporky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #4682
JDmino

I've done a recording of me screaming to Bring me the Horizons "Shadow Moses" and I want to know how I can improve.
I've been teaching myself what little I know over the past few months.
If you have any advice for me when it comes to my screams, please share it.
https://soundcloud.com/stilllearninscream/shadow-moses
The first couple of lines are shaky, but I get into it more after that, not to mention that part is at the top of my range.
JDmino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #4683
darktimes1

Yep, Gorky, you're a false corder, that's a fact and there's no way around it.
there could be a physical resistance keeping you from feeling it in the throat or maybe you just have a great way to push it out but just hearing that the angry sigh warms you up for screaming should push away any doubts. that and the tone and power of your scream.

Anyways, fellas, what can you guys tell me about Mikael Stanne's way of screaming? I thought I shared a certain "inability" to change pitch with him so I made an experiment and the outcome - here: http://picosong.com/9p2v
darktimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #4684
merriman44

Jdmino, It's hard for me to tell which voice is yours due to the quality. Can you just do one by yourself?

Darktimes, are you running out breath between phrases? Are you using your False Cords? I think you have the general idea for his vocals down.

If you are still having trouble with pitching, try treating the growl exactly as you would a sung note. That's what I do, and although my range is less than that of my true voice, I've trained into quite a large bit of note possibilities.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #4685
SamuraiMav

Hey there. I need some tips.

I just got started into Death Growls around 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I've been recording my progress. Here's a link to my progress so far: https://soundcloud.com/vamganger/growls

It's certainly too soon to expect any results, but am I on the right track at least? Am I doing the technique right? I'm trying to achieve the lower growls.
SamuraiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #4686
darktimes1

if you're referring to what I think you're referring, no, I wasn't short on breath, I was insecure about the words and timings of which during the song, I was quite nervous and sadly that was the best take I could come up with. Of course those were my false chords, and quite painless at that, too. big improvement for now, I think

it's not that I have trouble pitching, in my head it changes pitch just fine but when I record it, all you hear is airy distortion and no tone whatsoever. all those tips - "lean yourself slightly, descend your larynx by doing this and that", "sigh in a heavy and angry manner and that is your standard low growl", etc etc - don't seem to work for me, my growl fades when I push it lower to make an actual low growl, it's like it only works at that mid-ranged tone and that's it and that's the feeling I get from Mikael Stanne, not a bad thing but not very versatile, could I be looking at something wrong or trying to achieve something I may not be able to?

right now this is what I have in terms of vocals: mid-range growls, agonizing falsetto-influenced shrieks (it hurts me too), gutturals (fry) and from time to time I can do some thrash yelling, Cronos-style. could be worse, eh?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #4687
FlyingPirahna
Ultimate-Ads.com Member

What type of screams should I look into learning if I want a style similar to say, Dustin Kensrue's screams on Thrice's Artist in the Ambulance album? Or Greg Puciato in Dillinger Escape Plan? As far as screaming goes, I love the more 'natural' screams they have, that sound more like actual screaming than frying or growling.
(don't reach out, don't reach out)

It's not a law, it's a choice.
My chiptune music.
FlyingPirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #4688
Kimino394

@FlyingPirahna: If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, those aren't actually screams. Those are just normal singing with a tiny bit of fry on them. So little fry, infact, that you wouldn't need to learn how to use fry, to actually do what they're doing. Just.. Sort of.. Sing really loudly for a while, I guess, while trying to sound "Wheezy", but dial back the wheezyness as much as you can. ..Hopefully someone else can give you a better explanation, but there you go.

@all: Working on a cover of "Mudvayne's" "Forget To Remember". It's not really screaming, but there are harsh vocals in it. Would it be fine if I posted it here?
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #4689
darktimes1

well, yeah. Chad Grey's vocals are sung, screamed and yelled, I don't see why you shouldn't post in here Kimino
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #4690
merriman44

As long as the rage fills your blackened heart you are welcome to sing even Disney in here.

Just do it with malicious intent.

*writes this while humming Mulan
Old 10-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #4691
TBC2014

Greetings, people.

I took a break from screaming, due to real life issues. I had been screaming for about half a year. And things were going really well. I practiced false chord screaming. My breathing was decent, my screams sounded decent. Anyways, it's been about a month since I last screamed, and today, when I was gonna give it another go, it didn't work.

It sounded like crap, it hurt like crap, and now I have a sorish throat. I didn't scream a lot thankfully, since I understood that I did something wrong. I had done some warm ups, I had been drinking a lot of water, and for the first time in months, it hurt when I screamed.

This is of course making me a bit sad, since I was hoping it'd still be there. Obviously I'll need to start over. My question is if anyone has ever had any similar experiences? Is there anything I should think about before trying to scream again? Should I start from scratch?

Last edited by TBC2014 : 10-11-2014 at 02:22 PM.
TBC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #4692
Purple-Death

For some reason, death vocals are very easy for me to perform in the morning. If I ever skip a morning practice and practice in the afternoon or evening, my highs are easy to perform but my lows and mids just completely suck. Does anyone know why this could be and what I could do to fix this?
Just some extra information, I have to practice outside because I live with my parents and we don't have a garage.
I warm up for ten minutes before each time I practice and I drink plenty of water.
Purple-Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #4693
merriman44

Usually fatigue. The voice is the first thing to tire as the day goes on.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #4694
Purple-Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Usually fatigue. The voice is the first thing to tire as the day goes on.

How do you fix fatigue?
And it even happens if I don't talk much during the day.
Purple-Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #4695
merriman44

Stay hydrated (this is the biggie, few people realize how dehydrated they normally are), get enough sleep on a regular basis, warm up in the mornings, eat healthy.

Basically, treat your body the way Doctors want you to.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #4696
Kimino394

(The first paragraph of this post is just me bitching. Feel free to skip it)
First of all: **** lows so hard. I've been practicing them every day since my last post here and, if anything, I'm worse. They sound hollow, they don't sound powerful and, worst of all, they don't have a good "Tone" to them (Not sure if that's the right word. I don't mean I want to add in my voice) ..Seriously man. I LOVE that I can do highs that are good. That are better than the other dudes in my town. But a good high doesn't make a song. ... ... ... Yeah. Have a mate who's been screaming about half the time I have. He cannot do a mid at all, he has highs. They're not excellent, but they're good. They sound like something out of a metalcore or post hardcore song. Then his lows. He usually tries to do lows RIGHT after a high. ..And.. He just sounds perfect. One of the best low growlers I've heard. Sounds very Death-metal-y.
Then there's me. Spit**** lows. Average mids. Good highs. GWAAAAAH. *bashes head in*

*Bitching stops here*
Been practicing with what I BELIEVE is the fry technique. For some reason, I sound very.. "Western" (I suppose) compared to usual when doing it. It's not a PROBLEM per see, I just don't know why it's happening. My guess is because that I've been practicing it to Chad Grey. *shrug* Anyway, here's a clip where I do it right after some clean singing. There's also a full-on voiceless (And kind of crappy) high scream in there, but it's false chord, not what I think is fry. Forget To Remember (No instrumental, not full song)

The technique I'm using there also makes my voice a LOT more tired than false chord, and it also gives me a headache if I do it for more than half an hour at a time.

Whadda ya think?
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #4697
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Well i just came from practice and i think i FINALLY figured out what throws my scream out to falsetto. It seems to happen when i switch my mouth from "normal" to the "O" shape for the deeper screams. So i made sure to not do it during one continous scream, and it reduced the whole thing by like 90%. It also took me only about one, one and a half songs to get the screams down, which is way shorter then it was when i started. I do however still have some problems with the "I" sound, so i have to get that down as well. And i tried controling my breathing more, so that i used less air for screams, and it worked, i managed to make longer and more controled screams. I guess the next thing is to try and turn on false cords while i sing to give me some grit. I wish my singing teacher had a clue about that, but she is classicaly trained :/
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #4698
merriman44

Just watched Amon Amarth and Sabaton in Concert. Permasmile Engage!

Rate This Thread: