Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
amirzaian91

Question how to deal with forearms getting tired fast

so when i play punk rock songs (or anything with fast down picks with constant palm mutes) my forearm gets tired pretty fast and i cant continue. how can i fix this?

Forgot to mention im pretty new, i been playing about 2 years

Last edited by amirzaian91 : 10-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.
amirzaian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Aside from making sure your technique is good it's just a question of pushing it as much as you can, shaking it out and then doing it all over again. That kind of thing takes a lot of stamina to do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

My arms used to get tired when I started playing. They still do sometimes if I play for hours on end. I'm not sure how new you are to guitar but if you are pretty new you'll probably build your arms up to it over time. If you've been playing awhile... well, I don't know could be a technique issue like Zaphod mentioned.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

play more?
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
kimi_page

andy james has some sick downpicking+gallops exercises for stamina at his dvd metal rhythm guitar in six weeks. I would recommend that (if you play metal)
kimi_page is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Relax, focus on form (work on alternate picking, hammer on, hammer off, etc....dexterity exercises), and if you're playing something out of your league, slow down.. Couldn't hurt to hit the gym either XD

Last edited by RockAddict311 : 10-15-2013 at 05:54 PM.
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
atza

The thing is to play without tension in your arms. instead relax your arm and play that way. It takes some getting used to it though, until its habitual to you ,you should pay attention to that aspect of playing and as soon as you notice that you are getting tensed just relax. In the beginning it is even hard to recognize that there is a tension in your muscles (until you get tired as you said). Here is what I mean. Make a tight fist with your picking hand as if you are going to punch someone. Than relax maintaining the fist shape. See the difference? Now do the same but with a pick. You should play with 'relaxed fist' not tight one. The same goes for both hands of course.
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Rick_Kala

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza
The thing is to play without tension in your arms. instead relax your arm and play that way. It takes some getting used to it though, until its habitual to you ,you should pay attention to that aspect of playing and as soon as you notice that you are getting tensed just relax. In the beginning it is even hard to recognize that there is a tension in your muscles (until you get tired as you said). Here is what I mean. Make a tight fist with your picking hand as if you are going to punch someone. Than relax maintaining the fist shape. See the difference? Now do the same but with a pick. You should play with 'relaxed fist' not tight one. The same goes for both hands of course.

This is good advice and I agree. One thing to note is there are a lot of players who like to play with their pinky, index finger, and middle finger hanging down. That creates tension too. If you make a relaxed fist (curl those fingers in -- don't let them hang) and play it's much better for your stamina IMO. I am talking picking hand ONLY.

Last edited by Rick_Kala : 10-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Slap-happy

Play from the elbow, not the wrist. Practice but rest once it becomes painful.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
kian89
UG Board King

try using your wrists as much as you can , and some wrist exercises
Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
Livingtime

I get sore forearms, but mostly with my fretting arm (after playing through a Rusty Cooley song it's going to happen)
As long as your technique is right, you can think of it like a marathon. The first day you can run 500 metres without getting tired, the next day you can run 1 kilometre without getting tired.

All about stamina don't overdo it though, bad things can happen
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
rybread3

Mute the strings you are not playing with your left hand. This allows you to play each string you strum without making a sound. You might know this already it is pretty basic, but I didn't see it mentioned. I also like the ideas of doing exercises with that hand specifically and relaxing while playing that were mentioned earlier.
rybread3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: