User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #101
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
However, I would like to say that even though I don't take issue with "Intention = key part of musical analysis" (because if I did, I'd be a twat), I find it slightly odd considering how unimportant that tends to be. You don't hear many bands taking about the musical intentions of their record outside of "we wanted to be heavy hur hur etc", you get me? I know that a lot of guys like Morbid Angel and Cryptopsy have done interviews where they've explained why they use the notes they do, etc, but that's not too common. So I guess my point/question is, if something's "purpose" is not set in stone, but a more open to interpretation piece, does that still mean it's point is dulled? Does the artist lose composition points for not writing "THIS SONG IS ABOUT DEATH, THATS WHY I USED ALL MINOR NOTES" on every CD?

Most of the time the music makes the reason behind itself pretty obvious. The musicians don't have to explain it, hell, they themselves don't even have to know it enough to put it into words in an interview, but the general idea they had in their head for it comes out through the music.

That's how I've always seen it, at least.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #102
Steve08

Quote:
However, I would like to say that even though I don't take issue with "Intention = key part of musical analysis" (because if I did, I'd be a twat), I find it slightly odd considering how unimportant that tends to be. You don't hear many bands taking about the musical intentions of their record outside of "we wanted to be heavy hur hur etc", you get me? I know that a lot of guys like Morbid Angel and Cryptopsy have done interviews where they've explained why they use the notes they do, etc, but that's not too common. So I guess my point/question is, if something's "purpose" is not set in stone, but a more open to interpretation piece, does that still mean it's point is dulled? Does the artist lose composition points for not writing "THIS SONG IS ABOUT DEATH, THATS WHY I USED ALL MINOR NOTES" on every CD?
To be honest, I hear a lot of bands say that they want to write songs which are just open to interpretation (usually in regards to lyrics but music is usually mentioned in the same breath, more often than not) for any prospective listener to define themselves, so in a way, they would indeed be fulfilling some sort of artistic goal by achieving that, even if that's probably one of the vaguest iterations of any musical goal ever.
Quote:
edit: Also, Lemay's classical stuff is legit. Will have to track down some more.
I don't think it has ever been released beyond that Myspace, sadly; I'd really like to get my hands on it myself.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 12-19-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #103
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

Cool, to both posts.

I understand that there's still a very clear difference between a band who just doesn't think about "what the song has to mean" and just goes with "cool riffs bro", and the end result still being open to interpretation, and the artist who specifically sets out to make music with emotional themes and a "message", but that message still being open to etc. As we've established, I just don't think that distinction affects my judgement as much as you guys, and yes, I can understand that looking at things from a more theory enhanced point of view helps, but eh.

I think it all boils down to the simple fact that I know you enjoy a fair chunk of my work, even though my writing style is pretty lulzy when you get down to it, so I guess most of my arguing has been trying to reconcile that personal (and egotistical) cognitive dissonance.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #104
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Also, the comparison of Gorguts to classical is much more valid than many other death metal bands, given that Mr. "random chromatic notes" Luc Lemay has actually written classical music. And... it's good.

Nice. I knew he has written some classical pieces, one should apparently appear on the next Gorguts record, but I didn't expect it to be so good. And I agree, Lemay is an artist, Linkin Park are more like manufacturers, I guess. Not really worth comparing them in that sense. Not that that was the purpose, at all. EDIT: In defense of LP, I'm sure they might be fulfilling their own artistic view and aren't necessarily doing it to please people, but that they just have very derivative tastes themselves. It's better to make music that you like than be "truly artistic" just because.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
What? Requiem Mass in D minor is clearly the result of a juvenile teen's sense of insecurity and self-loathing causing him to want his pain to be forced upon others, you dumbass!!!
Well whaddayaknow. Live and learn.

Last edited by Sanitarium91 : 12-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Sanitarium91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #105
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?

There's a Zero Punctuation review for No More Heroes, where Yahtzee says something along the lines of "Anyone who sacrifices enjoyment for the sake of making an artistic point is a total bellend", and while he was talking about videogames, I feel the same thing is a bit of a personal preference with music as well. Obviously that brings us back to the whole subjective enjoyment parade, but you get my drift.

...that somehow...

somewhere...

...all of this makes sense!

Magero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #106
technicolour
Banned

Well that's why you don't rely on music as your main source of income (these days at least).

*whoops, read that as "employment" not enjoyment.

Last edited by technicolour : 12-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
technicolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #107
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

I think the crux of this thread is that Steve needs a ride.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #108
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy-c
I think the crux of this thread is that Steve needs a ride.

To funkytown.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #109
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Funkytown is over rated.

I prefer Discoburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: