Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
The Dimery

Beautiful! I love the knocks and bumps, it gives it character.
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
ConcertShooter
Banned

Upon my return from living in the Middle East in the early 1990s, I had to have my Gibson Reverse Firebird and Alvarez Yairi guitars shipped back in crates. Although Delta let me check them in when I flew over, the Saudis wouldn't allow me to take them with me when I left. Cost me $1,000 to have them shipped back. Extortion is what it was.

There was no DHS back then but some of my personal belongings had been pilfered upon my picking up the guitars and one other large container with clothing in it. The guitars weren't touched as best I could tell since they were still in the wooden crates that I saw them put in when before living the Saudi Arabia.

I don't know what type of disinfectant you could use on your guitar to get the DHS scum that was most certainly left on it after they pawed it, but I wouldn't take any chances. They are an infected lot for sure.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
gregs1020
Hi mom!

^ yeah extortion sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i honestly don't know. the only older one i've tried is my strat copy. which is really nice (but needs a refret). It's also a higher st80 model. So it's not really a fair test.

i would say using and older higher model is the perfect test, i just don't have any of the higher models.

but the lower models i do have are pretty freakin' sweet.

my bridge came so i gotta do a set up later tonight.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I mean i only have a newer lower model to compare it to plus the fact the older ones needs a refret and the newer one doesn't. I'd be comparing nitro to poly, which isn't really fair, and brand new frets to, er, not brand new frets.

and oh yeah even the lower MIJs are pretty good. In fact, that's arguably their achilles heel- while the higher end models use more mojo components and wood, they're so little better in terms of the quality of the manufacture/tolerances/QC that it's debatable if they're worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
oh yeah even the lower MIJs are pretty good. In fact, that's arguably their achilles heel- while the higher end models use more mojo components and wood, they're so little better in terms of the quality of the manufacture/tolerances/QC that it's debatable if they're worth it.

that's exactly why i don't go for the higher end models.

a LS-80 or 100 was $600-800 more than i paid for my LS-60.

a TE-80 is $1000 more than i paid for my TE-50.

for the (to me) minor differences in the models, the mojo of having the upper scale isn't worth the cost.

you're exactly right.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
gregs1020
Hi mom!

got my saddles on, restrung with 9's, intonation set.

pretty sure next time it's getting 10's.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #27
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Do want.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
that's exactly why i don't go for the higher end models.

a LS-80 or 100 was $600-800 more than i paid for my LS-60.

a TE-80 is $1000 more than i paid for my TE-50.

for the (to me) minor differences in the models, the mojo of having the upper scale isn't worth the cost.

you're exactly right.

yeah

my st80 (far as i'm aware) was roughly the same price as the cheaper models (it might be a partscaster as well). But i wouldn't have paid double for it or anything like that.

nitro might be worth a little extra... it does feel that bit nicer (no idea about tone). but again, i wouldn't pay loads more for it.

EDIT: sweet saddles, that looks a lot better now

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Man, I love that thin skin look on a Tele.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
gregs1020
Hi mom!

^ me too rooster, but it is a poly finish.
Quote:
yeah

my st80 (far as i'm aware) was roughly the same price as the cheaper models (it might be a partscaster as well). But i wouldn't have paid double for it or anything like that.

nitro might be worth a little extra... it does feel that bit nicer (no idea about tone). but again, i wouldn't pay loads more for it.

EDIT: sweet saddles, that looks a lot better now

the differences between the models i described is pretty much nitro and number of pieces the body is made of. (also headstock angle and fret edge binding on the LP)

i can't say i'd ever be able to hear the difference between a one piece back LP and a two piece back LP. nor between a 2 piece body tele and a 3 piece body tele.

i can feel the difference between a light weight and heavy one, everyone can. can we hear a difference that can be directly attributed to the wood though? i'm guessing no.

so essentially for the sake of nitro, the added upcharge wouldn't be worth it no me. in each case i can get the lower model guitar refinished in nitro locally for less. (by a shop i know the work of, and know i'd be happy with the job).
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah. i mean my tele is 2-piece centre-joined, which is cool for tgp-style bragging, but I'd agree, can i hear the difference? i doubt it.

way i see it i might as well have supposedly "higher end" features if i'm paying the same price (like, give me the option of 2-piece or 3 piece at the same price and i'll take the 2-piece, everything else being equal), but it's not worth obsessing over either.

and obviously i'd rather have a good 3-piece-bodied guitar than a bad 2 piece, lol.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: