Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Jesse0315

Need some singing tips

Ok long story short I have been elected by my band to be the singer since we have been looking for about 2 years now and there are pretty much no singers around here for our types of music. The band is similar in style to opeth but we will be doing covers by assorted bands such as Machine Head, Pearl Jam, Opeth, Death, Five Finger Death Punch, Amon Amarth, Megadeth, Bloodbath, Tool, and several others. I need some singing/growling/general vocal advice since im just starting out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Basically...
Jesse0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
GypsyJen

Not sure exactly of what you are looking for, but when I first started doing vocals it took me a bit to get adjusted to what I was hearing through the PA versus what I thought my voice sounded like, so it was a bit of a disconnect for me...anyway, I found that by wearing earplugs when I am practicing without the mic, it gave me a better understanding of what I would sound like (hope that makes sense).
And the other BIG thing is, it sounds like you will be playing while singing, and this is something that can be hard getting adjusted to....especially if you are only used to doing back up vocals, etc.
Thirdly, being able to get that "growl" sound just isnt something that everyone can do, and if it is something that doesnt happen naturally when you are singing, you may not ever be able to achieve the sound without completely ruining your voice. But dont feel like you have to replicate someone elses sound. There must be a reason your band mates elected you to do vocal, so if you cant achieve that distinct Vedder, or that deep rumbly screaming growl, just put your own spin on it, and jazz it up the way your vocals will allow.
Hope this is helpful....oh...and just in case you are hell bent on getting that growl sound, word of advice, make sure you warm up your vocal chords before you start singing off the bat, otherwise, i am telling you from experience, you will end up sounding like you have a permanent case of laryngitis.
GypsyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
j777p

If you are looking to "growl" check out The Zen of Screaming 1 and 2
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Jesse0315

I was practicing a few days ago and I was able to get the growl sound.

Basically...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
festivalinhell

The question is can you get that "growl" long term and still have a voice tomorrow morning?
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
festivalinhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Jesse0315

Any advice on growling longterm such as techniques?

Basically...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
RedChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse0315
Any advice on growling longterm such as techniques?

I believe that you are looking to learn the screaming technique called a growl.
I myself am a screamer and there is not just one type of growl. You should check the screaming thread because there are a few tutorials. A word of advice though, do not project from your throat and push outward from you diaphragm.
You should probably look in to false chord growls since I personally dislike fry lows :p
RedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
RedChaos

Also I have never lost my voice at all when screaming.
Many techniques take a lot of finesse so be careful.
RedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
merriman44

Jesse,

Check out the tutorial videos in my profile for advice on what you are looking to do. After listening, let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Can you get me a clip of you doing your growl? That's worth a lot when we deciding how best to move forward.

In any case, best of luck. Know that you are not going to ruin your voice in a day. You can push yourself a bit but never overdo it.

edit to Gypsy: Anyone can learn to growl. Anyone can learn to scream. Not everyone wants to or has the discipline to as it's a long road filled failures. The OP doesn't seem to want to sound like Vedder, but instead Heafy, Hejj, Flynn or others. Anyone can learn these techniques with various degrees of success.

Last edited by merriman44 : 04-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
BSaxby

my main advice would be that before adding grit, you should first learn to sing clean properly.
Grit/distorsion... is only an overlay.
BSaxby is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: