User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
ccannon1
Band Geek

Getting my gear back

Hey MT. I'm looking for some advice.

About a year ago I quit a band but I left some of my gear (amp, mic, a rack unit) in our rehearsal space (drummer's basement) and since I quit I've been asking him about an appropriate time to go pick my stuff up. For a YEAR he's been telling me that he's too busy for me to come and will give me a time in the coming week (which he surprisingly doesn't do).

What are my options with this? I've tried contacting his parents to no avail as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Do you know where he lives? You tried the easy way, now just go to his house (at a time you feel is appropriate enough) and take your stuff back.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Snotfish
whacktacular

You can do a surprise, proper, visit

You can break his basement window and steal all of your gear back, and the kick for his bass drum

You can forfeit all of your gear and save a friendship from what sounds like a terrible acquaintance
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Just go over and grab you stuff dude. I can't believe you haven't attempted this yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
sweetdude3000

That's pretty crummy of his parents to avoid you, but no wonder what this guy is telling his parents. I'd show up at his door asking for your property back. Maybe you can talk to his parents directly. Whatever you don't get defensive, and if his parents are good people, likely they will take your side.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Well, what he's doing is illegal, so if he flat out refuses when you turn up on his doorstep, phone the police about it. At this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if he's sold your stuff, this situation rarely ends well, but your best best really is to just turn up demanding your property back and say that you'll phone the police if it isn't returned to you.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
FreddyFrausto
Banned

nothing is done ilegally everything is fair in love and war
FreddyFrausto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
Well, what he's doing is illegal, so if he flat out refuses when you turn up on his doorstep, phone the police about it. At this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if he's sold your stuff, this situation rarely ends well, but your best best really is to just turn up demanding your property back and say that you'll phone the police if it isn't returned to you.

Unless you say he stole it. the police has nothing to do with civil matters. If the oppressor chooses to claim as his own, then the police won't do anything.

If you have waited to long,( theres a saying for this). You won't be able to settle in small claims court either.

It varies by state but In tn I think it was 1 year.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
20Tigers

All good answers so far.

Call him and arrange a time. Don't accept an "I'll get back to you response."

If he agrees to a time be prepared. Write a formal letter - keep your emotions out of it and state facts. Print the letter twice and keep a copy. It should say something along the lines of - you turned up at the agreed date and time to collect your belongings but that he did not keep his agreement and that you will be back in 24 hours to collect your things. If he still does not make your stuff available to be collected in the same condition it was in when you left it there then you will be forced to take legal action. - If he's not there at the time initially agreed put the letter in his letterbox. If his parents are there explain the situation to them and give them the letter.

If he's there and lets you pick up the stuff just leave the letter in your pocket - it's not needed but be sure to inspect your stuff and ask about any concerns you have over the condition straight away.

Go back 24 hours later and if he's still not compliant take him to court. Be detailed if you go to court. Know dates and times of calls and texts what was said etc. You better have kept all your receipts in case he can't return something and you want him to pay you the value for a replacement.

but like the guy before me said you may be too late. You should be able to find out online.

A year??? Really. you must not care for your stuff that much to let him keep it so long.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmetalhead
Unless you say he stole it. the police has nothing to do with civil matters. If the oppressor chooses to claim as his own, then the police won't do anything.

If you have waited to long,( theres a saying for this). You won't be able to settle in small claims court either.

It varies by state but In tn I think it was 1 year.

You'd be surprised, a friend of mine had his amp 'claimed' by someone, he phoned the police, and the police said to him that if he didn't give the amp back, they could go in and take it by force. Of course, as you mention state, it may be different, as I'm in England.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
ccannon1
Band Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
A year??? Really. you must not care for your stuff that much to let him keep it so long.

It's gear I havn't really needed up until now.

Thanks for the advice, I threatened to call the police regarding it and he immediately stopped screwing around and we set up a time.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
metalmetalhead
Panterica

status of limitations is that saying I was talking about that varies from states to state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
You'd be surprised, a friend of mine had his amp 'claimed' by someone, he phoned the police, and the police said to him that if he didn't give the amp back, they could go in and take it by force. Of course, as you mention state, it may be different, as I'm in England.

Well its like I said If You say He stole it. Or if the police intimidated the suspect and he told on himself. Sometimes ignorance is your best ally or your worst enemy. It all depends on the situation.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: