Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
mikitarrist

How to set up my first gig

Hi everybody !

I'm tryin' to set up our first gig and I would like ask you all I need to know about.
Of course with other bands.

In addiction, I want to know if it's right to pay with rate of return on tickets who sets up the gig even if in this case being our first gig maybe it's better for free.

However what concern to who by who sets up?

I want to know about cause I know I will appoint my time and money between calls, email, flyers, meeting other bands (by other cities too) and venue owners, hear what they need and so on.

Thanks in advance !
mikitarrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Phil Starr

If this really is your first gig then promoting this yourself is a huge undertaking. You have to book a room, set up PA and lights, have people on the door, arrange insurance, carry out publicity and probably spend a lot of cash with no guarantee of anyone other than freinds and family coming along. On the night you will have so much to do you won't be able to concentrate on playing.

If I wanted to promote a gig I'd book a band with a known following and only play a supporting set myself , if at all. I have promoted gigs and it is a big job lasting weeks in preparation and requiring complete concentration in the last few hours.

If you want to play then there are plenty of opportunities for start-up bands. Open mic/Jam sessions or more experienced bands wanting a support act, some venues will let you play a set at a convenient time for them if you are prepared to play for free (I'd avoid pay to play) or just book a community centre/local hall and play for friends/family. Our first gigs were at works parties. You could even play at mates parties or just set up your own party and do a short set in the middle.

Don't let me put you off but promoting a multi band event and playing your first live gig on the same night is a bit much for most people.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Yeah to line up my first gig I'd contact local venues and see if you can get a slot somewhere.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

I agree. It's probably not the best idea to arrange the whole gig by yourself first go. That's far too much work for not nearly the reward. I'd work on trying to hop on other shows. That's how my band did our first "actual" gig, we hopped on a local show and opened for it. Also, let me say, there's nothing wrong with playing house shows. That's how my band actually got started, and that can actually get you the right kind of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
mikitarrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinginbatman
I agree. It's probably not the best idea to arrange the whole gig by yourself first go. That's far too much work for not nearly the reward. I'd work on trying to hop on other shows. That's how my band did our first "actual" gig, we hopped on a local show and opened for it. Also, let me say, there's nothing wrong with playing house shows. That's how my band actually got started, and that can actually get you the right kind of attention.

I understand. Sorry my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean for playing house ? venues in general ? However thanks for the infos !
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
mikitarrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
If this really is your first gig then promoting this yourself is a huge undertaking. You have to book a room, set up PA and lights, have people on the door, arrange insurance, carry out publicity and probably spend a lot of cash with no guarantee of anyone other than freinds and family coming along. On the night you will have so much to do you won't be able to concentrate on playing.

If I wanted to promote a gig I'd book a band with a known following and only play a supporting set myself , if at all. I have promoted gigs and it is a big job lasting weeks in preparation and requiring complete concentration in the last few hours.

If you want to play then there are plenty of opportunities for start-up bands. Open mic/Jam sessions or more experienced bands wanting a support act, some venues will let you play a set at a convenient time for them if you are prepared to play for free (I'd avoid pay to play) or just book a community centre/local hall and play for friends/family. Our first gigs were at works parties. You could even play at mates parties or just set up your own party and do a short set in the middle.

Don't let me put you off but promoting a multi band event and playing your first live gig on the same night is a bit much for most people.

First of all Thank you for your clear and useful answer. And yes, this is my first gig (with this band). I agree, set up a gig and play with several bands it's not easy but I want to try. If something goes amiss, I will learn for the next gig
Sorry my lack of knowledge but what's a "mate party" ?
However being our first gig, I agree to set it up for free but if calling the band/s headlinear, maybe also of another city that want/s to be paid, how do you suggest me to do?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

House party = a party, at a house.
mate = friends. Basically the same thing.

If you know someone having a aprty at their house, just set your equipment up and play a set.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: