Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Pot Mixing String Packs/ Custom String Gauges?

Hello UG, I have recently discovered that the 10-52 set is too loose for Drop Db. So I decided to try the 11-54 Ernie Ball set. I was thinking that since the 11-48, have .11, .14, .18 on the top 3... they would have those on the 11-54 set .11, .18, .24,. Unfortunately for me, I was mistaken.

Since I was mistaken, the top 3 are way too thick for me in Drop Db. They are too thick in Drop C, but lower 3 aren't thick enough. So it's a lose lose situation. So now I want to combine the two packs to see if that helps.

I also have read somewhere that if you mix certain string gauges, it could cause damage to the neck. Will this combination cause a problem?

Also, Is there anywhere that sells the packs of strings I'm trying to make?
Thank ya.

Sorry for my horrible grammar when I wrote this, I really should have proofread before editing.

Last edited by Sir Stoney : 12-10-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

As long as you set the intonation, and adjust the truss rod, and nut accordingly, I think you should be okay.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It won't damage the guitar.

I, for example, use .0095, .012, .017, .026, .038 and .050 for my common tunings (E Standard, Eb Standard, Drop D, Drop C#) and no company makes a pre-packaged set like that. I can't remember the last time I used a set of strings right out the packet, I always have to buy extra singles to change some gauges. Double Drop D is the closest I can get, where I use a regular .010 set with a .050 6th. It's never caused any of my guitars harm and I am someone is is very careful with gear, I'm more of a tech and a collector than I am a player.

Go for whatever feels best to you, whatever helps you play your best. So long as the guitar is set up properly, there is nothing to fear.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
It won't damage the guitar.

I, for example, use .0095, .012, .017, .026, .038 and .050 for my common tunings (E Standard, Eb Standard, Drop D, Drop C#) and no company makes a pre-packaged set like that. I can't remember the last time I used a set of strings right out the packet, I always have to buy extra singles to change some gauges. Double Drop D is the closest I can get, where I use a regular .010 set with a .050 6th. It's never caused any of my guitars harm and I am someone is is very careful with gear, I'm more of a tech and a collector than I am a player.

Go for whatever feels best to you, whatever helps you play your best. So long as the guitar is set up properly, there is nothing to fear.

Thank you for your reply. I've tried to take very good care of my guitars, but I notice on the guitar I'm trying to find the right gauge, that I have the action as high as it can be raised. Is this because I'm tuned in Drop C with 11-54s? Would this be fixed if I went up to Drop Db?

I have no money to take it to a tech to do anything for a while. Hopefully it doesn't need to be worked on.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
Thank you for your reply. I've tried to take very good care of my guitars, but I notice on the guitar I'm trying to find the right gauge, that I have the action as high as it can be raised. Is this because I'm tuned in Drop C with 11-54s? Would this be fixed if I went up to Drop Db?

I have no money to take it to a tech to do anything for a while. Hopefully it doesn't need to be worked on.

As high as it can go?
Sounds like you have way too much forward bow in the neck seriously.
You should definately take it to a tech if you have the action as high as it can go.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
As high as it can go?
Sounds like you have way too much forward bow in the neck seriously.
You should definately take it to a tech if you have the action as high as it can go.

Is there a certain method of checking? I'm looking at it and the neck seems straight to me. Just slight fret buzz when I strike string really hard.

Rate This Thread: