Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
 
Sir Stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Pot Mixing String Packs/ Custom String Gauges?

Hello UG, I have recently discovered that the 10-52 set is too loose for Drop Db. So I decided to try the 11-54 Ernie Ball set. I was thinking that since the 11-48, have .11, .14, .18 on the top 3... they would have those on the 11-54 set .11, .18, .24,. Unfortunately for me, I was mistaken.

Since I was mistaken, the top 3 are way too thick for me in Drop Db. They are too thick in Drop C, but lower 3 aren't thick enough. So it's a lose lose situation. So now I want to combine the two packs to see if that helps.

I also have read somewhere that if you mix certain string gauges, it could cause damage to the neck. Will this combination cause a problem?

Also, Is there anywhere that sells the packs of strings I'm trying to make?
Thank ya.

Sorry for my horrible grammar when I wrote this, I really should have proofread before editing.

Last edited by Sir Stoney : 12-10-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
 
Charvel1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, ON
As long as you set the intonation, and adjust the truss rod, and nut accordingly, I think you should be okay.
__________________
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
 
MrFlibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
It won't damage the guitar.

I, for example, use .0095, .012, .017, .026, .038 and .050 for my common tunings (E Standard, Eb Standard, Drop D, Drop C#) and no company makes a pre-packaged set like that. I can't remember the last time I used a set of strings right out the packet, I always have to buy extra singles to change some gauges. Double Drop D is the closest I can get, where I use a regular .010 set with a .050 6th. It's never caused any of my guitars harm and I am someone is is very careful with gear, I'm more of a tech and a collector than I am a player.


Go for whatever feels best to you, whatever helps you play your best. So long as the guitar is set up properly, there is nothing to fear.
__________________
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
 
Sir Stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
It won't damage the guitar.

I, for example, use .0095, .012, .017, .026, .038 and .050 for my common tunings (E Standard, Eb Standard, Drop D, Drop C#) and no company makes a pre-packaged set like that. I can't remember the last time I used a set of strings right out the packet, I always have to buy extra singles to change some gauges. Double Drop D is the closest I can get, where I use a regular .010 set with a .050 6th. It's never caused any of my guitars harm and I am someone is is very careful with gear, I'm more of a tech and a collector than I am a player.


Go for whatever feels best to you, whatever helps you play your best. So long as the guitar is set up properly, there is nothing to fear.


Thank you for your reply. I've tried to take very good care of my guitars, but I notice on the guitar I'm trying to find the right gauge, that I have the action as high as it can be raised. Is this because I'm tuned in Drop C with 11-54s? Would this be fixed if I went up to Drop Db?

I have no money to take it to a tech to do anything for a while. Hopefully it doesn't need to be worked on.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Kyleisthename
Registered User
 
Kyleisthename's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
Thank you for your reply. I've tried to take very good care of my guitars, but I notice on the guitar I'm trying to find the right gauge, that I have the action as high as it can be raised. Is this because I'm tuned in Drop C with 11-54s? Would this be fixed if I went up to Drop Db?

I have no money to take it to a tech to do anything for a while. Hopefully it doesn't need to be worked on.

As high as it can go?
Sounds like you have way too much forward bow in the neck seriously.
You should definately take it to a tech if you have the action as high as it can go.
__________________
My band

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
 
Sir Stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
As high as it can go?
Sounds like you have way too much forward bow in the neck seriously.
You should definately take it to a tech if you have the action as high as it can go.

Is there a certain method of checking? I'm looking at it and the neck seems straight to me. Just slight fret buzz when I strike string really hard.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.