Jimi Hendrix and pedals

Can you please name some songs that hendrix used:

Octave pedal
Univibe pedal

thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
hendrixfreak93
UG Member

Univibe - Hear My Train A' Comin (Live at Woodstock)
Octave - Purple Haze (studio)
Make my crush high pop
And you couldn't really know
Because it's in my toes
And sometimes I wonder
Where'd that crush high go?

FREE SHRUGS

Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
calnix

A wah pedal before distortion/fuzz
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/hendr...w-he-used-them/

http://www.guitargeek.com/jimi-hend...-setup-diagram/

Purple Haze Guitar Solo (Octavia)
House Burning Down (Octavia)
Hear My Train A Comin' (Univibe)
Little Wing (Univibe) (May have used a Leslie in the studio)
Fire (Octavia) left lead channel during solos
Bold As Love Univibe)
Angel (Univibe)
Dolly Dagger (Univibe)
Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) - (Univibe)
Earth Blues (Univibe)
I Don't Live Today (Octavia)
Machine Gun (Univibe, Octavia) one of the few times Jimi used the Octavia in his live rig, since it was custom made he was always afraid of it getting stolen.
Star Spangled Banner (Univibe)
Who Knows (Octavia)

I'll also add that a good substitute for a univibe is an old school MXR Phase 90 (script logo) or the EVH one since it has both in, has to be the old style since the newer ones has a bit too much "swoosh" to them (that was a technical term). Univibe's are quite expensive and if the song doesn't require use of the expession pedal (can't do Machine Gun), you can get away with it, sounds great for Star Spangled Banner or Little Wing.

Similarly any octave fuzz where the octave produced is higher than the original signal, I like to use my Univox Super-Fuzz clone I built for this, since unlike the octavia it doesn't sound like complete shit outside frets 12 to 15, however like all octave fuzzes the neck pickup is a must especially on single coils.
these are the ones I remember from the top of my head.

But like everything guitar related if you want the actual sound you'll need the actual stuff, which is a little easier to get these days since Dunlop started selling all the Hendrix pedals, I can attest to the Wah since I was playing voodoo child on it through my friend's old Marshall plexi and it sounded almost identical to the record.
Octavia's are easy to build since the circuit is easily found online and they are fairly simple but I don't know how complex the Univibe circuit is, and have never seen a clone of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.

Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH : 09-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
AgSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerNeL_KLuTcH
http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/hendr...w-he-used-them/

http://www.guitargeek.com/jimi-hend...-setup-diagram/

Purple Haze Guitar Solo (Octavia)
House Burning Down (Octavia)
Hear My Train A Comin' (Univibe)
Little Wing (Univibe) (May have used a Leslie in the studio)
Fire (Octavia) left lead channel during solos
Bold As Love Univibe)
Angel (Univibe)
Dolly Dagger (Univibe)
Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) - (Univibe)
Earth Blues (Univibe)
I Don't Live Today (Octavia)
Machine Gun (Univibe, Octavia) one of the few times Jimi used the Octavia in his live rig, since it was custom made he was always afraid of it getting stolen.
Star Spangled Banner (Univibe)
Who Knows (Octavia)

I'll also add that a good substitute for a univibe is an old school MXR Phase 90 (script logo) or the EVH one since it has both in, has to be the old style since the newer ones has a bit too much "swoosh" to them (that was a technical term). Univibe's are quite expensive and if the song doesn't require use of the expession pedal (can't do Machine Gun), you can get away with it, sounds great for Star Spangled Banner or Little Wing.

Similarly any octave fuzz where the octave produced is higher than the original signal, I like to use my Univox Super-Fuzz clone I built for this, since unlike the octavia it doesn't sound like complete shit outside frets 12 to 15, however like all octave fuzzes the neck pickup is a must especially on single coils.
these are the ones I remember from the top of my head.

But like everything guitar related if you want the actual sound you'll need the actual stuff, which is a little easier to get these days since Dunlop started selling all the Hendrix pedals, I can attest to the Wah since I was playing voodoo child on it through my friend's old Marshall plexi and it sounded almost identical to the record.
Octavia's are easy to build since the circuit is easily found online and they are fairly simple but I don't know how complex the Univibe circuit is, and have never seen a clone of it.

Thank you very much!

Rate This Thread: