Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
nathan.denson1

Mixing Toms

Just working on my mixing skills. Learned part of this Woe Is, Me song earlier and tracked it. I'm not the best at equalization, so I wanted tips/advice on making my toms sound deeper and less boxy?

http://snd.sc/1hIx4T6
nathan.denson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
SHaun Steel

I go about eq'ing toms the same way i would the kick drum. Cut the subs below 50hz take out some mids around 300-400hz. For the boosts the lowest floor tom i treat almost like the kick although not the exact same freq. If you boost the kick at 65hz boost the lowest tom around 70-75hz then they are not fighting for the same space. The rack toms you can be more aggressive with the sub cuts this also means that your boost freqs will be higher on the scale too.

Last edited by SHaun Steel : 10-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.
SHaun Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I can't listen on this computer, but might offer a couple of suggestions anyways:

1. Play around with mic placement. It can make a world of difference. Also, could you tell us what mics are you using?

2. Modern drum sounds use a ton of compression. Get a nice compressor and hit it hard.

3. Do the drums sound good in the room, and are they tuned? You can mix until the cows come home, but if they sound like ass in the first place, there's no saving them, short of doing sample replacement.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
nathan.denson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
I can't listen on this computer, but might offer a couple of suggestions anyways:

1. Play around with mic placement. It can make a world of difference. Also, could you tell us what mics are you using?

2. Modern drum sounds use a ton of compression. Get a nice compressor and hit it hard.

3. Do the drums sound good in the room, and are they tuned? You can mix until the cows come home, but if they sound like ass in the first place, there's no saving them, short of doing sample replacement.

CT

I'm using Slate samples for the kit and Critical Cabs Messiah kick samples.
nathan.denson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Do they sound boxy and need to be deeper on their own, before you do anything to them? If so, use different samples.

"If they're not the sounds you're looking for, try different ones!"

Another thing you can try is layering them. Take what you have, and then layer a bigger, deeper tom over top of it and blend them together.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: